Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw a guy punch another guy in the face page 2

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Last night I saw a guy punch another guy in the face. He deserved it, but I realized as I saw it happen that I have never actually seen someone do this in real life. Seen it a million times on TV or in the movies, of course, but it's really strange to see this in real life. (Being female, it is easier to not have seen adults punch each other than if I were male of course.)
    ??

I have seen a good amount of fights, and women were the intended audience or instigators in a lot of them. I maintain that women like seeing men fight along the same lines that men like seeing women make out.

I don't know why exactly I am mentioning this, but I guess it is because it's really weird how one thing in a fantasy portrayal is sort of meaningless but in real life it's quite shocking. I suppose there is something primal about this but I'm not sure what it is.
    Conflict resolution!

The build-up of tension necessary to create that specific act of aggression is really quite terrible, so in primal times, someone swinging on another dude like that probably instantly communicated to any witnesses, "Let them work this shit out." If you have ever punched anyone in the face, you can back me up here- motherfuckers hafta have it coming for you to just unload like that. The body puts checks in place so that before it comes to that, we try different more peaceful resolutions, WANT TO resolve things without it coming to that, because the chemical and psychological state is rather unpleasant and difficult to maintain.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

I have seen a good amount of fights, and women were the intended audience or instigators in a lot of them. I maintain that women like seeing men fight along the same lines that men like seeing women make out.

In the case of men liking that, obviously it immediately communicates to the reproductive brain, "Oh yay- double the fertilization opportunity."

In the case of women seeing men fight, they are cued, "Oh yay- the one left standing is obviously better to fertilize me." Since they can't be fertilized by 2 men, this is what I mean by saying that they like seeing men fight the way men like seeing them touch each other.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post

In the case of men liking that, obviously it immediately communicates to the reproductive brain, "Oh yay- double the fertilization opportunity."

In the case of women seeing men fight, they are cued, "Oh yay- the one left standing is obviously better to fertilize me." Since they can't be fertilized by 2 men, this is what I mean by saying that they like seeing men fight the way men like seeing them touch each other.
    Exactly. Except I -have- met a woman who bore fraternal twins by two different fathers.

Yeah.

In any case, I live in a sketchy part of town and fist fights happen sometimes, thereabouts 30 feet out my door. I think it's probably better that people work this thing out physically, but our culture doesn't seem to breed gracious victors much anymore. If you break up a fight before it is resolved, tensions remain - it's unfinished business - and they could escalate. If the fight resolves completely and the victor uses that as an opportunity to trash further the defeated, things could escalate, or at the very least tensions remain.

Thus have I always sought to amend things with whomever I've beat on. Has to be mutual, though.

M.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    If you have ever punched anyone in the face, you can back me up here- motherfuckers hafta have it coming for you to just unload like that. The body puts checks in place so that before it comes to that, we try different more peaceful resolutions, WANT TO resolve things without it coming to that, because the chemical and psychological state is rather unpleasant and difficult to maintain.
    No?

I have punched people in the face. Once, someone told me to. So I did. There was no check, no resolution. I just punched him. We were messing around and it was an excellent punch (really connected). Another time, I miscalculated and accidentally connected with my fiancÚ's jaw. I had intended to lightly tap him, but, not being well-practiced in taking swings, I let out a good one.

You sound like a Daily Show parody.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    This particular guy did have it coming. I guess he'd been causing trouble for about a week. Cops had been called numerous times without bothering to come. The one guy couldn't stand it one minute longer so he took matters into his own hands, so to speak.

I doubt the drunk guy even knew there was a woman in the shop. Even if he did, I'm not exactly the type of woman to inspire men to fight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

nameless wonder, none of your instances involve aggression or conflict, which is the context of jawing people that we are discussing. The fact that it can be such a goofy joke though only illustrates the point that I am making, that it is a relatively peaceable and harmless means of venting aggression.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This particular guy did have it coming. I guess he'd been causing trouble for about a week. Cops had been called numerous times without bothering to come. The one guy couldn't stand it one minute longer so he took matters into his own hands, so to speak.

I doubt the drunk guy even knew there was a woman in the shop. Even if he did, I'm not exactly the type of woman to inspire men to fight.
    Now if I were your mother I would be telling you that you shouldn't be hanging around "seedy" tattoo parlours in the first place.

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    "I'll leave when i can get up" really made me LOL.. also made me feel sorry for the dude.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yes, it's uncertain, isn't it? I don't know how often people living in our "first" (primal) way would use their fists. Perhaps more likely you'd either laugh at an insult or have immediate recourse to a deadly weapon.....
    Yes in Jared Diamond's new book (see other thread under Research) there is quite a lot about arrows, and especially spears, but I dont recall a single mention of fists.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Now if I were your mother I would be telling you that you shouldn't be hanging around "seedy" tattoo parlours in the first place.
    I know. What have I become? Heavily tattooed and hanging out next to the adult bookstore. My mom would kill me if she knew.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast