Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheesh, i think i need 'primal for dummies'---help please? page

suse1023 is offline Junior Member

sheesh, i think i need 'primal for dummies'---help please?

Primal Fuel
    hi all, i'm suse.
    I came here from the hcg forum, where I've lost and kept off 40 lbs this past year.
    yay me------------------
    but.
    in transitioning to primal I find myself stuck--I haven't found a tool to help me learn the foods I should and shouldn't eat.
    I get the basics, no sugar or grains but I am a simple girl and need a list or two.
    one big poster that says yes eat this and one that says no avoid this would help me a whole lot, lol.

HELP?!
    I gained one lb overnight and I suspect the raw coconut bar I found at the health food store is the culprit, as it has coconut sugar.

otherwise I think I am eating properly--what do you think?
    breakfast is espresso with heavy whipping cream
    lunch was my first attempt at zucchini fritters---shredded zuke and onion bound together with egg and coconut flour and fried in kerrigold butter.
    dinner was homemade turkey soup and that darn coconut bar after.

could it be just the coconut? or am I making some big dumbass mistake here somewhere?
    also I drink unsweetened weak peach tea by the gallon, i'm very hydrated.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    First piece of advice - THROW OUT THE SCALE!!!!!!

Your weight is going to fluctuate. What you need to go by is how your clothes fit and how you look, not how much you weigh.

...and you need more protein.

blondie0216 is offline Junior Member
    I agree throw out the scale. It does way too much damage to the mind!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    At the top of the page is a 'button' that reads, "Start Here." There is a ton of info there.

A one pound fluctuation can be anything from an increase in sodium intake to getting closer to your period to not having a substantial bowel movement. I wouldn't sweat it. (I like my scale.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

I do weigh myself at the fitness center once a week. I don't have a scale at home. My clothes are fitting better, but I haven't lost any weight according to the scale; therefore, I must be adding muscle. Weighing oneself multiple times a day, or even everyday is counterproductive.

oops. forgot to mention the 4 ozs of parma proccuito I had for afternoon sncak.
    it's nitrate, nitrite and sugar free i'm told, but wicked sodium!
    thanks folks, I am a-feared!
    fwiw when I turned 30 in 1990 and started to gain weight I went right on the American Heart Ass diet and over the next ten years gained 70 lbs!
    I was experimented on and I am mad about it---and I intend to succeed permanently now.
    thanks for your support, it helps!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Eat fresh meat, fish and eggs. Choose the healthiest animals you can. Grass-fed/pastured is the healthiest but if you can't choose that, do the best you can.

Avoid soy, corn, canola and other vegetable oils. Instead use coconut oil, lard, butter, olive oil.

Avoid grains. White rice is okay in moderation like when you go out for sushi.

Avoid legumes, especially soy.

Get some sunshine.

Move slowly often, sprint once in a while, lift heavy things a few times a week.

Play, have fun, meditate, enjoy life. Spend time in nature if possible, even if that means a city garden or something.

Avoid poisonous things. I would include toxic environments and people in this one.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

thank you so much for that! it's becoming clearer now, thank goodness!
    I read last night (or dreamed it) that quinoa is technically a seed and therefore ok in moderation if i'm not reactive to it.
    would you agree?
    and occasionally I like a cold coconut water--is unsweetened and organic ok for me?
    and what about red wine or an occasional beer? dh just bought two cases of heady topper and I may indulge if it ever gets warm enough!

Coconut water is fine. I still drink beer, my fave at the moment is the Kona Brewing Company's Koko Brown - made with coconut, but keep in mind that beer is made from grains and it is my choice to drink it. It's not really approved for the primal lifestyle - Wine is fine...

Mark's take on quinoa

Alternatives to Grains? | Mark's Daily Apple

If you have more questions, go to this site's home page and use the search engine. This searches Mark's blog entries and can answer a lot of your questions.
    Last edited by Lynna; 04-23-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Eat fresh meat, fish and eggs. Choose the healthiest animals you can. Grass-fed/pastured is the healthiest but if you can't choose that, do the best you can.

Avoid soy, corn, canola and other vegetable oils. Instead use coconut oil, lard, butter, olive oil.

Avoid grains. White rice is okay in moderation like when you go out for sushi.

Avoid legumes, especially soy.

Get some sunshine.

Move slowly often, sprint once in a while, lift heavy things a few times a week.

Play, have fun, meditate, enjoy life. Spend time in nature if possible, even if that means a city garden or something.

Avoid poisonous things. I would include toxic environments and people in this one.

Oh boy, I could so avoid this, if I could only afford to retire!

...and I could so do these things that I love much more often, If I could only afford to retire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast