Thread: Hi everyone, you are all an inspiration page

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member

Smile Hi everyone, you are all an inspiration

Primal Fuel
    I'm 50, female and English. I'm married to an American and we currently live in England. We have one son (my husbands)who lives in the states. We have a black GSD bitch. I'm a nurse and presently work in psychiatry

I'm a poorly controlled diabetic with cancer struggling to control weight and blood glucose despite following "recommended eating plan". On the recommended eating plan I got fatter!

I accidentally started this lifestyle by deciding not to follow recommended plan but to radically restrict carbs and found this site also by accident when I was researching why I no longer felt hungry as it was so odd and unexpected - (I was always starving on the recommended plan.)

My cancer has affected my skin and my nether bits and is likely Muir Torre syndrome but I've not taken up on the genetic testing as yet.

My diabetes is pancreatic rather than type 2. I've had a dysfunctional sphincter of Oddi all my life which has caused my pancreas periodically to be bathed by its own enzymes and those from my liver.

I am using this site so I can build a healthier attitude instead of the initial slash and burn approach of dodging every carb.

The one problem I'm having is fats. I'm too frightened to eat them as they can have a tendency to trigger a bout of pancreatitis. It may be different as a part of a very low carb diet but I haven't yet got the confidence to increase them. Advice on this would be useful.

This lifestyle makes so much sense and feels so natural. I'm not hungry despite losing 1lb a day and I feel so much better/normal/alive...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Don't be afraid of fat. A fat-free diet is highly unnatural, as is a diet high in industrial seed oils.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    H there and welcome. I can understand why you might be afraid of fats. How do you cope with fatty fish and avocados?

hi both, thanks for answering

eKatherine ; its such a big change and i guess i am a bit over conditioned by both CW and the natural aversion caused by pancreatic response of pain and inflammation. I think I'll just have to take this step real slow

spuggygirl; I have no problems with fish like tuna salmon and mackerel. Avocados though are a bitch and I swear my pancreas curls if I look at them! Most vegetable oils have always been a problem so its no hardship losing them. sesame oil is ok but olive oil can be dodgy. dairy is a problem but some butter is ok if nothing else is too fatty.meats are ok but my dog gets the visible fat

Michiel is offline Member
    A psychiatric nurse... as someone 'from the other side' I can say... God those beings are annoying. But don't take it personally, I just felt like I had to conform and be nice, while all I ever thought while hearing them talk was blablabla. It was all so untrue. I really had to take distance and tell myself these people have got no clue and watch out for my own personal luck. I am glad I found this lifestyle, it made stepping out of the hate and into the love a lot easier.

ragwort is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Carbdodger,

I am 57 living in UK and have been basically primal for a year now and feel the benefits. As to you adding more fat.... I think you will just have to try to see which ones suit your condition the best? Maybe just be brave and try to eat a little more fat that naturally occurs with meat? Good luck and keep us posted.

Im learning so much here, my night-time blood sugars are already stable and my daytime are improving.
    ragwort's comment is what I'm doing currently, gradually increasing fattier meats and fish with some butter but am not adding much fat as yet. Pancreas is pretty happy as with the reduced carbohydrate load i think its not working flat out now. Its too early to say if it will help my body to fight the cancer but i feel better both mentally and physically which cant be bad.
    i went back to work on Monday which was nice, but Monday and Tuesday I had to go to bed when i got home. I was so tired even though i only worked half the shift both days. today was much better. tomorrow I'll be doing the whole day so am realistically expecting to be tired. I intend to get an early night.
    i have now lost 12lbs which pleases me
    thanks all for your kind words and support ... you're doing me a world of good