Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are ALL saturated fats good for you? page

Lukey is offline Senior Member

Are ALL saturated fats good for you?

Shop Now
    I had been under the impression for while that all saturated fats are good for you. But a lot of people seem to think that some saturated fats are beneficial and some have negative health effects. For example, I read that Palmitic acid is "extremely damaging" and is second only to trans fats in the amount of negative health effects it has. The problem is, I can't seem to find a list of these on the internet? and given that the majority of people still think saturated fats cause heart disease it's hard to find somebody who knows the truth about saturated fats and heart disease, but can give an unbiased opinion.

Palmitic acid, for example, is the major fatty acid in normal lung surfactant. Palmitic acid is also called the stem fatty because it is the de novo fatty acid made in the body from acetyl-CoA. Palmitic acid is the most common saturated fatty acid, with Butter, chicken (including the skin), cocoa butter, lard, and beef tallow all containing approximately 25 to 26 percent palmitic acid. Human breast milk is approximately 20-25% palmitic acid.

18 carbon monounsaturated fat is oleic acid, the dominant fat in olive oil - and the dominant fat in butter. The palmitic acid that man eats can end up as oleic because the liver and other tissues can convert palmitic acid into oleic acid - as needed - to maintain "desirable physiological balances."
    All cell membranes contain fatty bi-layers. Overload on olive oil and your body will simply convert any excess monounsaturated fat into saturated palmitic or stearic acid.

So it seems illogical to think that it is "extremely damaging" considering human breast milk is 20-25% palmitic acid, it the stem fatty acid made by the body, and we convert excess carbohydrate, protein and monounsaturated fats into palmitic and stearic acid.

Now, given that we know now that high total cholesterol, and high LDL cholesterol are not strong indicators for heart disease, the fact that palmitic acid may or may not (depending on which fats it is consumed with) raise cholesterol is irrelevant. The only other negative health effect I can think of is it may slightly increase insulin resistance (again depending on many variables.) But to a healthy, active individual this isn't a problem, because a healthy active individual will already have high insulin sensitivity.

So, does anybody with any knowledge on the subject have an opinion on if any other saturated fats have negative health effects, or is it all out-of-date pseudoscience from the 70's and 80's?
    Last edited by Lukey; 04-23-2013 at 03:34 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There's an awful lot of bad science out there from the 70s and 80s, and even still more being done right now.

Eat more cocoa butter. Chocolate is the food of the gods.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Think about it. Millions of years of evolution have us storing excess energy in a dangerous form (palmitic acid). I think not
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There's an awful lot of bad science out there from the 70s and 80s, and even still more being done right now.

Totally agree, and yes chocolate definately is the food of the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Think about it. Millions of years of evolution have us storing excess energy in a dangerous form (palmitic acid). I think not
    Exactly my point. It's nonsensical to avoid them considering your body makes them anyway.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

Can confirm I eat chocolate.

Chupo is offline Member
    I don't think evolution would have selected for milk that would harm offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupo View Post
    I don't think evolution would have selected for milk that would harm offspring.
    Agreed, but I would like to see the supposed negative health effects and see if I can see if they are justified by proper scientific studies. Maybe I would be best sending this to mark.
    Last edited by Lukey; 04-23-2013 at 11:52 AM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Agreed, but I would like to see the supposed negative health effects and see if I can see if they are justified by proper scientific studies. Maybe I would be best sending this to mark.
    Then google your little heart out and READ the studies...
    "negative health effects of palmitic acid" "scholarly studies"
    BOOM!
    negative health effects of palmitic acids - Google Scholar

Or do you think that someone should do that for you too?

Also, you do realize that your original post was asking for an OPINION on this subject right, supposedly based on what those people had already read/learned on the subject...
    People did give you their opinions.
    You didn't state that you expected an opinion along with a educational lecture on the topic.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-23-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Then google your little heart out and READ the studies...
    "negative health effects of palmitic acid" "scholarly studies"
    BOOM!
    negative health effects of palmitic acids - Google Scholar

Or do you think that someone should do that for you too?

Also, you do realize that your original post was asking for an OPINION on this subject right, supposedly based on what those people had already read/learned on the subject...
    People did give you their opinions.
    You didn't state that you expected an opinion along with a educational lecture on the topic.
    Ok. First of all, I have tried to do this many times, but I can't find any studies that aren't related to serum cholesterol and the negative effects of saturated fatty acids, not just negative health effects in isolation from serum cholesterol levels.

Secondly, Where exactly did you get the idea that i was unhappy with their opinions? I agreed with all of them and I just expressed I was looking for a scientific opinion as well.

And thirdly, for what it matters, I actually did write "So, does anybody with any knowledge on the subject have an opinion on if any other saturated fats have negative health effects."

I wasn't saying his opinion was wrong or he wasn't in the right to post it. I was simply expressing that I should also send this to Mark, for his opinion (which is more science based) as well as have people's opinion on here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast