Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are ALL saturated fats good for you? page 2

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Agreed, but I would like to see the supposed negative health effects and see if I can see if they are justified by proper scientific studies. Maybe I would be best sending this to mark.
    "Agreed, BUT... "

This implies that what you were given just wasn't enough, and that people needed to do more to satisfy your needs/specifications. Which seems pretty rude...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    "Agreed, BUT... "

This implies that what you were given just wasn't enough, and that people needed to do more to satisfy your needs/specifications. Which seems pretty rude...
    "This implies that what you were given just wasn't enough"

"people needed to do more to satisfy your needs/specifications. Which seems pretty rude..."

Look at what you are writing. It's an internet thread. You are making it out as if I personally insulted him. I'm sorry if you took this the wrong way, but I genuinely was happy with his opinion and was expressing a desire for a more scientific answer. You can't assume over the internet that I was unhappy with the answer or it "just wasn't enough " simply due to the word "but" in my reply. It seems to me like you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. I would rather not turn this thread into a petty argument and would prefer to continue the discussion.
    Last edited by Lukey; 04-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Check out the right hand bar and look under posts for Plamitic acid.

Hyperlipid: Palmitic acid: the horror never ends

Plenty of studies showing its evil! Particularly some stuff about it causing insulin resistance. But, as usual Peter logically refutes these and offers additional studies to back his stance. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

Plenty of studies showing its evil! Particularly some stuff about it causing insulin resistance. But, as usual Peter logically refutes these and offers additional studies to back his stance. Fun stuff.
    Thanks! that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, much appreciated.

Paleobird Guest
    I highly recommend this book for the ultimate definitive guide to fats:

Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol: Mary G. Enig: 9780967812601: Amazon.com: Books

Also this post by Mark is a good general one and includes some good resource links.
    The Definitive Guide to Fats | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I highly recommend this book for the ultimate definitive guide to fats:

Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol: Mary G. Enig: 9780967812601: Amazon.com: Books

Also this post by Mark is a good general one and includes some good resource links.
    The Definitive Guide to Fats | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thanks, I've actually seen Dr. Enig's work before in defence of saturated fat, I'll make sure to get a look at that book.
    Last edited by Lukey; 04-23-2013 at 01:55 PM.

I really like Peter's writing style, He explains things thoroughly and scientifically but has a great sense of humour too! I'll definately be reading his blog from now.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If it says "Crisco" on the can, it's not good for you.

pklopp is offline Senior Member

Indeed. Hyperlipid is one of my favourite sites.

All of the studies trying to indict saturated fats do so by overdosing experimental subjects with palmitic acid and then feigning shock and surprise when they discover that *GASP* it induces insulin resistance!

So how would one go about getting high circulating levels of free palmitic acid in one's blood stream in the absence of some boffin directly infusing them there via a catheter?

Well, one pretty good way of doing this is to stop eating, which will cause insulin levels to drop and this will allow adipose tissues to start liberating the storage form of triglycerides via the action of hormone sensitive lipase. What is the predominant fatty acid stored in adipose triglycerides? Well, I'll be darned if it isn't our good friend palmitic acid. So, stop eating, and we can reasonably expect that we'll see elevated FAs bound to serum albumin in your bloodstream, as well as an increased quantity of glycerol.

So, now, we have all those tissues that can oxidize fatty acids doing so, and keeping their grubby hands off the glucose that absolutely must be delivered to obligate glycolitic tissues like red blood cells, parts of the brain, and the kidney medulla, to name a few.

Later on, with a bit of luck, you come upon some food, eat it, and get a concomitant rise in your serum insulin levels as a result. Now you find yourself in a situation where you have elevated levels of free palmitic acid and elevated insulin. This is a bit of an odd state of affairs, because the only way for you to get free fatty acids is via release from adipose tissue. Dietary fats come parceled as triglycerides in chylomicrons via the lymphatic system. From a metabolic perspective, you are sending two signals : 1) I haven't eaten for a while and I'm relying on stored energy ( elevated levels of Palmitic FFAs ), and 2) I have just eaten ( elevated insulin levels )

At this point, you body can either gamble that you have ingested enough carbohydrates and switch on full bore system wide glucose absorption and glycolysis ( a.k.a. "insulin sensitivity" ), or it can be conservative, and maintain those tissues that are capable of performing beta oxidation of fatty acids in that state ( a.k.a. "insulin insensitive" ). If you gamble and get it wrong, the downside can be a hypoglycemic coma. If you are conservative and get it wrong, that is, you actually did ingest enough carbohydrates for all tissues to consume, this situation is self correcting, as the elevated insulin levels will curtail release of adipose FAs which will in turn cause those beta oxidizing tissues to look to some other energy substrate, read glucose.

Palmitic acid absolutely causes insulin resistance. It is supposed to. Your survival depends on it. Oh, and the preferred energy substrates for pancreatic beta cells seems to be saturated fats. The longer, the better.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Indeed. Hyperlipid is one of my favourite sites.

All of the studies trying to indict saturated fats do so by overdosing experimental subjects with palmitic acid and then feigning shock and surprise when they discover that *GASP* it induces insulin resistance!...
    Thanks, that makes it clear why palmitic acid causes insulin resistance. It's quite funny how the scientists doing these experiments are shocked to find palmitic acid doing its job. Just out of curiosity, Peter goes on to say that even Low concentrations of oleate (0.1mM) completely inhibited palmitate-induced oxidative stress, SAPK activation, and apoptosis. Is oleic Acid not one of the fatty acids found in human adipose tissue? I'm just wondering why breaking down the adipose tissue would realise a high concentration of Palmitic but not oleic acid.
    Last edited by Lukey; 04-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast