Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 Days Primal - My Experience (UK based) page

Skipixie is offline Junior Member

30 Days Primal - My Experience (UK based)

Primal Fuel
    I decided to alter my nutrition rather dramatically overnight when my partner was out of the country for a month Ė it seemed like a perfect opportunity to eat exactly what I wanted and keep a close eye on the impact and effects as I would only be cooking for one, and didnít have many social events planned.

Originally, I had decided to do the Dukan diet (ie pure protein) for the first three days just to lose excess water, but I took the opportunity over the weekend to immerse myself in the internet and learn new things. I started reading MDA (a couple of recently primal friends had sent me the link but I hadnít really looked at it before). The immediate resonance for me was astounding Ė everything just seemed to make such sense, so I decided to switch across to primal immediately after the three day protein only days.

I really liked the Ďlifestyleí aspect of primal rather than it being a diet (I only wanted to lose ten pounds, so weight wasnít a major factor) Ė it was more about all round health for me. However, I was concerned about eating Ďfatí and also about eating lots of meat, as I wasnít really any kind of meat eater at all Ė the odd piece of chicken was about my limit.

I didnít exercise much for the first couple of weeks because I felt quite weak, but on about day ten, I woke up feeling fantastic and went for a three mile run (honestly, Iíve never done that before!) There has been a myriad of benefits, some of which I didnít realise straight away, but they include: feeling firmer, stronger, clearer headed, more focused. No post lunch lows, no cravings (even from day one really, I was off sugar and grains instantaneously), my knees donít ache any more, I feel cleaner and more healthy, I am sleeping better and waking early, Iíve lost ten pounds in about 25 days, and when Iíve eaten sweet things they donít taste good. I have developed a desire for meat and vegetables I never thought possible and I enjoy them so much. My appetite has decreased but my enjoyment of what I am eating has gone through the roof!

My partner has returned to a woman he doesnít recognise (he says), but in a good way. Yesterday, we went rowing on the river, and my strength and endurance surprised even me, it certainly surprised my partner as he stopped before I did! I feel and look so much healthier, my skin is clear, my waist is more defined and my tummy is flat. I have no wind, gas or cramps (always used to have loads), and I have every intention of continuing this way for a very long time to come. When he first came back, we celebrated and I had champagne and sugary things, but didnít feel guilty in the least, as I know the new way is easy to revert to and how I am determined to continue. He also loves that I am cooking lots of delicious meals, but he worries I am eating too many eggs and too much meat! It will take a while, after all I had the benefit of total immersion for four weeks to take this amazing information and work with it before he came back.

Hard for me to say, but I think I feel happier, and I am more relaxed and fun than I used to be!
    Iíve kept a journal of what I have eaten and how I have felt every day and I would recommend this to anyone starting out as its so interesting to look back and see the stages of the journey.

My favourite breakfast is hard boiled egg, avocado, bacon strips, pine nuts, lemon and pepper. For lunch its usually salad or omelette, with meat, veg and salad for dinner. Snacks are usually nuts and Iíve made paleo bread and sesame crackers too. I've eaten nothing processed since I began in mid March. My indulgences are 85% dark chocolate, red wine and blue cheese and Iíve had all of these even during the weight loss.

Thank you so much to Mark and Primal Blueprint! You have been an inspiration, mentor and guide during this time. I wasnt unhealthy or overweight before, but I believe that this thirty day experiment has shown me a new way of life which I cant help getting super excited about and which I will continue for a long time.

My next challenge is building up the running, I've entered for a 10k in July (unheard of before for me), primal exercises and learning to live with much less digital stuff.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Awesome story, Skipixie.

Specially love this line "My appetite has decreased but my enjoyment of what I am eating has gone through the roof!"

Thanks, I hope you keep posting updates.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    hey! Great story, kinda similar to mine.
    Went cold turkey after a 3 week trip to France in Aug-Sep 2012 which made me even more fat and miserable (way too much bread, pasta, and sugar binging ...). I thought I needed to do something because at 38 y.o., I was going pre-diabetic and my abdomen started to grow too much for comfort ... 1st October 2012: radical change. I did not know MDA, wheatbelly, or any of those "alternative" message on health I decided to remove all sugars / grains / fruits and only eat veggies, meats / fish / eggs / high quality fat. Don't ask me how I came to this realization, it was some kind of epiphany ... after a month and 13lbs lighter, I had already documented myself about nutrition, paleo, MDA, wheatbelly, etc. I then realized that my 1 month diet had to turn into a lifestyle: why change something that makes you feel fantastic ??

7 months later, 24lbs lighter, no issues whatsoever. I went ketogenic at times, to test the fat fueling / ketones theory on my work-outs, I tested intermittent fasting and naturally came to eat one large meal a day around early evening (6pm). Nothing else. Sometimes I push it to 2 days fast when I am not hungry. I don't care too much about carbs vs fat these days although I remain in general very low carb because my way of eating has developed in this way:

- I first start with organs / meats / fish / eggs / animal fat with a side veggie or 2 (or a salad)
    - If I am still hungry, I add heavy or whipping cream with a handful of berries, or some nuts (macadamia!!)
    - If I still want to add something, some nice dark chocolate sweetened with xylitol and a few home-oven-roasted marcona almonds with the chocolate (great great treat!)

This way of eating makes me ultra regular, no bloating, no cramps, no nothing. I only drink water or green / rooibos tea during the day and one mug of coffee in the early morning with coconut oil. That's it

Best balance in a long long time!! I save some work time by skipping lunch (1/2 hour earlier at home) and food budget can focus of super high quality food with one meal a day only!

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Great results - congrats!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic story. Really well done!

Thank you to everyone for the encouraging comments, it feels great and reading the other posts in this forum makes me feel like I've found such a wonderful community to play with! Annie, your food sounds fabulous.... x

SamK is offline Junior Member
    Fantastic story :-) good for you

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipixie View Post
    he worries I am eating too many eggs and too much meat!
    Have a look at this:- Whole eggs can be part of heart-healthy diet, say researchers

Great to hear of your success and enjoyment.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quick update on day 45.... Tonight I ate rump steak with a huge plate of vegetables and I had been looking forward to it all day. I absolutely devoured it! I don't recognise myself or even acknowledge the old me who would have snacked on crisps, cheese, bread and chocolate even as recently as two months ago. My values and desires have altered dramatically and in an exciting way. Someone on here described a kind of permanent buzz or happy feeling - that's exactly where I am! So much more to learn yet but, oh boy, what a fantastic journey! During the week I tested myself with a wheat grain wrap and ice cream, no enjoyment and achy tummy afterwards.... Hence my primal deal is now sealed. Tomorrow morning is body measurements and a planned four mile run. The woman I always wanted to be but never made progress towards through CW is coming into focus!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    By the way, I am 45 and now weigh 114 pounds (that's 8 stone 2 in real life). I was 122 pounds when I started, but the increased strength, energy and vigour are the most exciting aspect of this process and my body doesn't feel flabby any longer, much tighter and firmer. My mind is definitely clearer too.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast