Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fat Old Cat Lady....Trapped in a chubby 29 yr old man's Body page 5

MDDB83 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    mdmoore07: I read your initial post and had to keep reading - we're pretty similar (same age, starting weight, and both have the same habit of buying books/supplements etc., getting on board with something for a week to good results, and then lapsing). I'm jumping on board the Grok lifestyle so hoping to make it a permanent lifestyle change. Glad it's working for you so far - hoping it works for me as well!

mdmoore07 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDDB83 View Post
    mdmoore07: I read your initial post and had to keep reading - we're pretty similar (same age, starting weight, and both have the same habit of buying books/supplements etc., getting on board with something for a week to good results, and then lapsing). I'm jumping on board the Grok lifestyle so hoping to make it a permanent lifestyle change. Glad it's working for you so far - hoping it works for me as well!
    MDDB,

Glad you're trying this! I'd strongly recommend keeping a journal like mine. It's really what keeps things going for me. I'd also recommend reading up on intermittent fasting, bulletproof coffee and fat intake. If there is anything that makes this stuff work, it's these three things(for me). All topics have already been addressed on this forum, MDA, paleohacks.com, etc. You have a wealth of (free) knowledge.

There is a guy in this forum that did a three part fasting post that is EXTREMELY well written and informative. I just concluded my first extended fast that lasted 44 or so hours. I had been doing 16hr daily fasts, then I moved up to 20hr fasts with 4hr eating windows prior to the extended fast. I'm continuing on with daily fasts at this point. So much easier this way!

Coffee. Using this as a tool to suppress appetite and increase metabolism has been key. Give it a try(especially if you have coffee provided at work!). Learn how to make it bulletproof, too..

Fat. Eat a shitload of the stuff: 80% of your daily caloric intake to be exact! You want to be in ketosis often at the beginning. Read up on MDA about ketogenic diets.

I just bought a "fitbit" activity tracker to use going forward. After my first 30 day induction phase, I'm going to up my focus on my activity. I think getting your nutritional head right should be a priority before starting a crossfit regimen or anything serious. Up to this point, I've just been taking nice long walks, some simple kettle bell exercises and a couple sprint sessions.

Keep in touch and talk soon.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83744.html

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." -Milton Friedman

Food Log 5/12/13

Goal weight: 180lbs
    Current: ?
    Loss needed: ?

Today's exercise: Long doggy walk!

B: Bulletproof coffee-20oz+, 24+oz ice-water
    L: Eggs w/ coconut oil & butter, grassfed ground beef & coffee. 24oz water
    D: 3/4 lb ground lamb in two patties, hand-formed. Broc/Kale saute mix. Water.

No Notes today.

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." -Milton Friedman

Food Log 5/13/13

Today's exercise: 9 holes golf at a brisk pace(walking).

B: Venti Sbux coffee w/HH. 32oz water.
    L: Met Fiance at Jason's for lunch. Ordered Pastrami/Corned beef sandwhich, ditched the bread/cheese. Cup of chilli, ditched the beans, 48oz water. Stuffed.
    D: Pulled pork plate with collards, bacon & brunswick stew.

Notes: starting using my fitbit one today....and I forgot it on the golf course! Without the golf course, I was at 9200 steps, so I'd be far over my goal of 11K. I think I'll get back in Ketosis starting tomorrow--I've been stuffing myself couple meals. Pants are fitting looser

Food Log 5/14/13

Today's exercise: 1 hour doggy walk w/Fiance

B: 24oz Coffee, 20oz water
    L: None. Too busy to eat! 34oz water.
    D: Ate a couple handfuls of almonds and a handful of cashews. Got into a bag of cheap beef jerkey. Not a big eating day. 33oz water.

Fitbit: 13,450 steps today! Pretty good as my goal was 11k. I was mostly buzzing around the office today, so it wasn't a big "out and about" type of day. I think I could get up to 15K fairly easy with an active day + walk. Good stuff health and weight loss has gone from something foreign, to something manageable and easy to digest once you have a plan and attitude in place. Very cool.

Two other small victories worth mentioning. Let's call it three actually! First, I gave up all soda(diet) a week prior to starting primal again, so i'd call it about a month free of soda! All cravings are gone and have been replaced with a desire to drink ice-water. Second, I've once again deactivated my facebook account. This has happened off and on over the last 3 years. It just gets to be a bad habit, time consuming, unproductive and lends to negativity. Finally, I'm about one week short of being smoke free for 3 years. For those of you that may have recently quit or want to(or are ex smokers), I'll say that even today I have fleeting cravings and even dream of smoking on occasion. It's quite an addiction--but quite a liberating thing to have beaten it.

Grok on!
    Last edited by mdmoore07; 05-14-2013 at 06:08 PM.

MDDB83 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks mdmoore07 - have no fear, bullet proof coffee is a staple of my existence. I'll have to experiment with the IF - seems like a good idea. I definitely need to eat more fat - I think that has been my issue over the last week (I haven't been losing much weight which has been a little discouraging). I've been using the Fitday app on my iPad to keep track of everything I'm eating and I have been averaging 50% fat, 37% protein, 13% carbs. I'll try to amp up the fat intake and see if that makes a difference.

Food Log 5/15/13

Today's exercise: 1 hour doggy walk w/Fiance

B: 16oz Bulletproof Coffee, xtra mct!
    L: 1/2 rack ribs, mashed cauliflower, steamed broc, 32oz water
    D: jerk pork on bed of greens with sour cream, guac and a whiskey/water.

Fitbit: Only 10,050 steps today. I'm packing for a week-long trip to Belize and heading out in the morning. Ergo, I was stuck "tying up loose ends" today at a desk. I still managed to crack 10K! Silver lining? I'm planning to be good on vacation, minimize alcohol consumption(liquor only) and try and find plenty of central american fat! I'm excited to do a few rounds of beach sprints on my VFF too. Should be a nice time.

Food Log 5/17/13

Today's exercise: 1hr Walk on the Beach, casual swimming in the pool & ocean

B: 16oz Coffee. Wasn't too good. Coffee in Belize is expensive and hard to come by. They DID have local heavy whipping cream! Was very nice.
    L: Nothing much. A few pieces of fruit and some meatballs from a street vendor in Belize city. I also slipped and had a local beer. Good stuff.
    D: Pork loin, mashed cauliflower and broc. Glass of red wine.

Fitbit: No fitbit here in belize. Quite a day. We landed in Belize city and a friends father ushered us through customs... quite laid back. Then we took a van taxi to Belize city proper and got on a water shuttle to san pedro. I was picturing something a bit more Amercian(sipping cocktails on the deck and wind blowing throgh my hair). What I really got was a enclosed speed boat packed to the gills with locals. It was fricking awesome! I made a few friends in the hr I spent on the boat, met a Canadian man who came down here to invest in the tourism industry and lost everything. He's now relegated to a life of singing at resorts, walking around barefoot and eating pork like it's his job(poor guy!!). Hell of a nice guy. I met another guy who has been here his whole life and seemed to like my fiance more than me. I can't blame him. I've been aware of my "diet" but it's been a bit more challenging. I had a corn tortilla with pork(maybe two) and have indulged some temptatios. All in all, it's been nice. I hope future me can forgive me for my inconistencies, both in diet and journal logs. I can say this: visit belize! Take a week and completley unwind. I didn't realize how stressed I was unitl I started to relax and you can't do it anywhere else like you can here. You owe it to yourself. More later.

Cave Bird is offline Member
    Hey Mdmore...I love Belize! The water there is like nothing else. Hubby and I spent an amazing week on Ambergris Caye, and hated to leave. We stayed at the Xanadu. Try the ceviche, it's so fresh! Good meats and fruit as well. Oh, and here is a great tip for an activity: kayak out to the reef to snorkle. no need to hire someone to take you out there, its super easy! Enjoy, i'm jealous!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Food Log 5/23/13

Today's exercise: 1hr walk w/doggy & Fiance after work

B: Lots of coffee. Ran out of cream so I had to use the powdered frankenshit
    L: At a 1/2 of corned beef and pastrami with some mayo. Delicious.
    D: Just going to pass on dinner tonight...

Fitbit at 9,300 steps. I need 11K for the day and I'll get there.

notes: so...I had a lovely week in belize. Today is my first day back. For the most part, I did very(very very) well with the diet. I slipped and had a beer here and there. But I only really messed up one fateful night. We went to a great pizza joint in Hopkinstown our last night in town. I ate 4 pieces of pizza and defiantly loved it. It was loaded with bacon thin crust belizian artwork. I have offically confessed and am moving on. As punishment, however, I'm going to try and do a few extra hours of fasting each day this week to detox.

The trip was fantastic. I strongly advise all of you to visit the country. You should even consider their retirement program--just a lovely place. Each day my fiance and I did the usual stuff you do in a tropical paradise, but unlike other places--I actually rested. We went to bed almost every night by 9pm and were up by 7. Thats right, nearly 10 hrs of sleep per night for a week. We both feel completely recharged. Admittedly, the first day back to work (today) was complete shit. Going from paradise to work is never easy. More later.

PS-I got compliments on my physique on the beach!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345