Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barbell Lifting - Calories Burned WTF page 3

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well investment management is a man made entity with fairly finite variables. The human body on the other hand is an exceedingly complex system that we have barely scratched the surface of.
    Understood, although I'm not going to get into my own theories that markets follow the laws of nature too...most people don't agree with me, and I would bore you guys to tears.

But last night I was watching stuff on Einstein, physics and such. Dudes mapped out equations for planet orbits, incredibly complex nature-based stuff. Impressive human accomplishments. Yet the most advanced equation they have for human body mass changes is CICO.

Maybe the best minds just don't gravitate to nutrition, but given the USA's and world's issues it seems like they ought to start.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not saying we should stop trying....But in the end we may very well end up with some sort of quantum physics theorem rather than a standard Newtonian equation if we want to be accurate. I don't know. I'll leave it to the physics dudes.

Oh, and I'm in no way saying that market theories are easy. Heck I'm sure that it's a beast that continues to evolve and be redefined as circumstances change. I know I'm not versed in it and some very smart people devote their entire lives to it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've never tracked what it takes calorie-wise to be weight stable like you have. There's a 2-3 week lag time between anything I do and the results I get, which makes it difficult for someone who just is not that detail-oriented. But I can see general trends. I have found that over the years, steady cardio at first was helpful in losing weight but now it really doesn't do anything positive for my weight at all. Lifting weights not only makes me super hungry, I can indulge that hunger and end up with a slimmer figure.

Lifting weighs also jacks up my heart rate more like sprinting does. I've become so efficient at steady cardio that I can almost do it on a warm day without hardly breaking a sweat. I'm probably the only person on Earth to start to gain weight while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Somewhere around mile 2000, hiking 25-30 miles per day, I actually had to start watching what I ate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123