Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting bored of veggies! page

wolfman is offline Senior Member

Getting bored of veggies!

Primal Fuel
    Hey gang, I keep eating the same veggies, mostly because they are quick and easy, ( organic frozen spinach or kale) sometimes I have a salad but I find that the greens go bad in a few days and I may not have time to prepare a salad every day. Any suggestions how i can mix up my veggies and get more in with my meats?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Buy different ones?

Our go-to veggies are onions, tomatoes, kumara, potatoes, carrots, capsicums. Sometimes we have kale/spinach/broccoli/cabbage, but not every week.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Lynx33 is offline Member
    I usually rotate veggies each week. I'll make a big tub of broccoli/ spinach/ asparagus one week, then collard/kale/carrots..etc.usually 3 different vegetables each week keeps me excited long enough. I do the same with the meets too. This week its beef, turkey, and salmon. last week it was sardines, chicken, and lamb. Its easier for me and I dont have to worry about planning.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Frozen veggie bags....

Some suggest their nutrient profile may even be better than regular veggies that have to travel long distances unfrozen to sit on shelves for days.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I can't help with the prep time but these are my personal favorites when I'm feeling fancy:

• Raw carrot sticks, celery, radish quarters, and snap peas dipped in seasoned sour cream, guacamole, tahini, or tapenade

• Lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion with dressing of olive oil, wine vinegar, mustard, and blue cheese

• Zucchini, sliced mushrooms, spinach, and garlic sautéed in butter/olive oil and topped with grated parmesan

• Turnips, asparagus, cauliflower, and red cabbage drizzled with herb butter/olive oil and oven roasted

• Bok choy, red bell pepper, broccoli, and shiitake sautéed in beef fat, dressed with rice vinegar and toasted sesame seeds

• Eggplant, shredded carrot, green beans, white onion, and Thai basil simmered in seasoned coconut milk

prime11 is offline Junior Member
    Potatoes should not really be on the list unless you're doing a ton of cardio like running marathons or playing sports for hours on end like pro athletes. And at that it's only sweet potatoes.

In salad... Artichoke hearts, asparagus, smash up some avocados and use it as dressing, a couple walnuts on top. Also if you chop up the salad with salad scissors its a lot better.

Also, grilled eggplant and brussell sprouts (I know sounds nasty) but I actually really like them.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I eat just about all veggies, including definitely potatoes and sweet potatoes. You don't have to go super low carb. Just low enough to lose any fat you want to lose and keep it off.

You don't absolutely have to eat many veggies, though. One way to get lots of the benefits of them is to use lots of herbs and spices.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prime11 View Post
    Potatoes should not really be on the list unless you're doing a ton of cardio like running marathons or playing sports for hours on end like pro athletes. And at that it's only sweet potatoes.
    No.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    No.
    +1

Primal low-carb dogma.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Roast veggies. Just about every veggie tastes awesome roasted, you can mix up different herbs and spices when you are feeling saucy, otherwise a bit of oil, salt and pepper and into the oven until browned. Asparagus is fantastic, brussels sprouts roasted with a bit of bacon, butternut squash cubed, parsnips... they are all amazing. As a plus, I have found that asparagus and brussels sprouts in particular seem to have an above-average shelf life in the fridge. Or I just have a high tolerance and poor sense of smell.

Another way to get in some veggies is to make up a scramble for breakfast or lunch (or hey, even dinner!) I usually use kale, spinach, mushrooms, onions and red bell peppers, along with fresh garlic. Add a couple eggs in, and instant meal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast