Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Am I eating too little? page 2

  1. #11
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,785
    Primal Fuel
    Some people react to IF in this way unable to handle stress of the fasting window. Try the big breakfast approach instead, and see if you feel more comfortable with starting your day full and not creating the stress of "I can only have coffee till 2 pm".
    If the eating connected to boredom and fatigue etc, I recommend Susan Albers' books "50 Ways to Soothe Yourself without Food' and "But i deserve this Chocolate'. She is highly practical and no BS about what pushes you to over-eat and binge and how to deal with it.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  2. #12
    Cathartes's Avatar
    Cathartes is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    94
    Magnolia, you your post says perfectly what I was trying to say.

    Atmetal, If it's stress related binging, it is possible that in part that you're not eating enough. However, there are larger, probably more important, factors contributing to the binges. Clearly, you're under some stress, and a good deal of that, you can't change, because it's your job. Other than addressing your stress where you can, and if you can, are there changes you can make to what you're eating while trying to lean out that would be things you enjoy and look forward to eating, so you won't feel deprived?

    It might be helpful for the people responding if you mention what you're eating when 'binging'-- a slice of bread, or half a pizza, a bowl of ice cream, or a half-gallon--just to get an idea of what's going on.


    My overall comment, for what it's worth, is: it seems to me that you have said that your binges are largely due to stress and a feeling of being sick of dieting. So if this is the issue, the question is: what can be changed so that you can have a better outcome? (We can give you advice up to your ears, but it can only work if it fits into your life and work)
    Last edited by Cathartes; 04-24-2013 at 07:03 PM.

  3. #13
    atmetal's Avatar
    atmetal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    136
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    This is a HFLC site = High Fats, Low Carbs. We have a different philosphy. Do read our book "The Primal Blueprint". People new to this WOE do have a hard time at first, lack of sugar results in 'carb-flu'. After that the binging disappears in a month or 2. Yes, we learn to 'listen to our bodies', but our bodies are pretty confused at first. It usually takes at least 2 months or so before you can trust your bodies messages.

    Use a nutrition tracker, paleotrack.com is easy and has many advantages for our way of eating.

    The higher your Fats, proportionally, the more weight you'll loose. Listen to Jimmy Moore Nutritional Ketosis Lecture On The 2012 Low Carb Down Under Tour - YouTube. I'm not suggesting you go into Ketoses. You need more information than I can put in one comment here.

    Look into Cross-Fit: What is CrossFit? - YouTube or other HIIT. Mark's pages here are excellent.
    I don't appreciate the zealotry of your response. You're defending this lifestyle like a religion. You even have the typical arrogance of a Crossfitter. I'm not going to waste my time trying to backlash against everything you said, but at the very least, do some more objective research. When considering standalone macronutrients, protein is more satiating than fat. I word it like that because I recently read that optimum satiety is achieved by mixing macronutrients (something I don't really do). By the way, don't be so eager to talk down to me. You obviously relish the perceived fact that I'm new to this diet so you can start spouting off you're self-proclaimed expertise. Little did you know that I've been following the Primal Blueprint for 2 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    but i'd say -30% is too drastic.

    and you "lead a millitary life" so that would lead me to believe that you are in decent shape. and you weigh 160lbs, but your goal is weight loss. are you 5'2"? we're obviously talking a few vanity lbs, right?
    This isn't the first time I've been told this. So I'm going to up rest days to -25% and make workout days -5%, maybe including one weekly overfeed. This should make my calorie intake 1955/2477. This seems fine considering that the only form of exercise I do is heavy lifting 3 times a week. I've done a couple 5/3/1 workouts instead of RPT, and it does seem less stressful. I was hoping to get in some low level cardio, only because my PT test clearly shows that strength training alone doesn't help my run time. From what I understand about low level cardio, I shouldn't have to adjust my calorie intake up, right?

    And yes, I'm just as surprised as you are regarding my weight. I was once 158 lbs and I still looked like I was no better than 18% body fat. One may think that means that I'm not carrying a lot of muscle, but that can't be true either since I'm not weak. Still, at 5' 7", that was the truth of the situation. Makes me really depressed with how hard I have to grind away every lb and still look this fat. And worse still is that the 18% estimate is a best case scenario.

    I think I look close to this guy (who is not me):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...3&d=1278642574
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...3&d=1278642355

    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Never mind the calories. What is the food in this 7-day menu that doesn't use a stove burner, oven, or freezer?
    Can you even cook an egg?
    Actually, the fridge has a tiny freezer. I also bought a 1.3 ft3 freezer that fits in my closet. As for the food, I microwave meat and fish, adding no fat, but do add seasoning. I use Nordicware tools to cook eggs, rice, quinoa, and grits for the workout days. Sweet potatoes are also microwaveable. I flavor the rice, grits, and potatoes with honey instead of butter, again, to keep the carbs high and fat low on workout days. I buy frozen vegetables, some of them steamers (designed for microwaves). I also eat food that don't require cooking, like nuts, Kerrygold cheese, and yogurt. The 7 day system I've made has made things so much easier because with lots of practice, I have it down. Having time for only one grocery trip a week, I know exactly how much of everything I need to buy for the week. There's no experimenting with microwave cooking techniques because I've already troubleshooted everything with this food. It saves a lot of time, and believe me, I need it. Not only am I cooking all this, but I have to clean up after it too. In the meantime, the Navy assumes I'm not doing any of this and simply eating at the chow hall. The only thing tricky about this is the 2 avocados I eat per week, which always vary in ripening time.

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Then there is just full on I ate a pizza even though I had half a chicken. That's probably dietary boredom. Maybe add in a cheat meal once a week.

    Then you have "I ate a bag of Snickers", that would be sugar addiction. Try a Whole 30.
    Right there...you found it. Though I'm too ashamed to actually list what I ate. I will say that each time, I estimated an excess of 2000-3000 calories more than the food I already had eaten. I recently read an MDA article about sugar cravings being linked to fat. And you aren't the first to suggest that I may not get enough fat. While I still believe that protein is more satiating, I am open to the possibility (even though I don't understand it) that I need to eat more of a mixture of macronutrients for optimum satiety. So just how much fat should I be getting? I'm already eating about 100g on rest days. This is thanks due to the extreme low carb condition of rest days. For instance, one day is split like this: 102g fat, 14g carbs, 190g protein. Even if I were to decrease the protein to the recommended minimum for dieters (1g/lb body weight), I would only be able to up the fat by 13g if keeping the calories the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Some people react to IF in this way unable to handle stress of the fasting window. Try the big breakfast approach instead, and see if you feel more comfortable with starting your day full and not creating the stress of "I can only have coffee till 2 pm".
    Interesting you say this because I remember I time when I would start the day with 9 eggs and at least 6 slices of bacon. I could go almost the entire day without hunger. Now though, it's not really an option. Skipping breakfast is most convenient with regards to my schedule. I wake up early enough as it is and I'm not a morning person. Besides, while I now the path to health and fitness doesn't require the LeanGains method, I understand how it works hormonally and believe it is a good system. Eating breakfast and fasting through the day until I'm presumably hungry late at night would not result in a 16 hour fast window as prescribed by LeanGains.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cathartes View Post
    It might be helpful for the people responding if you mention what you're eating when 'binging'-- a slice of bread, or half a pizza, a bowl of ice cream, or a half-gallon--just to get an idea of what's going on.

    My overall comment, for what it's worth, is: it seems to me that you have said that your binges are largely due to stress and a feeling of being sick of dieting. So if this is the issue, the question is: what can be changed so that you can have a better outcome? (We can give you advice up to your ears, but it can only work if it fits into your life and work)
    Again, I'm too ashamed to list actual items, but it was all junk. I think one of roots of the "cravings" might be the food's association with the past. I guess this would make it, by definition, comfort food. Having been away from home for a while I can see this as a possibility. And back when I was actually losing weight, I was able to look past this. At one point I was at 158 lbs at 5' 7". For a male, I should be closing in on leanness at this point, but the mirror said I was far from it.

    However, I think it would help if I could CONVENIENTLY incorporate more variety than my 7 day menu allows. But because I rely on calorie counting instead of my untrustworthy body signals, I wouldn't be able to handle all the measurements I need to take. I also wish I could include tasty cuts of meat, but because the only meat I can afford is conventional from the commissary (which for some strange reason sells only USDA Choice), I buy only the lean cuts to avoid the toxins of factory farming that the animal's body flushes into fat cells.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •