Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans Getting Shorter page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

Americans Getting Shorter

Primal Fuel
    The other days I was thinking; if the dawn of agriculture 10,000 years ago resulted in a 4" decrease to our height, isn't it possible the processed food era is doing the same?

Here is an article from 2004 that says height in the US is decreasing, while height in Europe is on the rise...

"America has eight million people with no job, 40 million individuals with no health insurance, 35 million living below the poverty line, and a population that exists mainly on junk food. There, the rise in average height that marked its progress as a nation through the 19th and 20th centuries has stopped and has actually reversed - albeit very slightly - in recent years. Many Americans are rich and do well anatomically as a result, but there is a large underclass that is starting to drag the country down the stature charts."

Americans shrinking as junk food takes its toll

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    When science is driven by ideloogy, insanity results. Interesting article, but he attributes the shrinkage of Americans to inequality of incomes. Thus, if our poorer had more money, they'd eat better. Shrinkage is due to insufficient health care.

Do you believe that?

I'd believe we're skrinking all right. But our bad nutrition is due to, exactly, the CW & SAD we're taught by our health carers, the NIH, CDC, FDA, Fed. Gov't, etc. Money available to spend on food is not an issue. Doesn't he know all our poorer have more than sufficient EBT cards.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I had a response typed out, then I read the article and found that it made every point I was going to make, except for this one:
    All the middle-aged Chinese people I know are relatively short, and some of them very short, but most of them were young during the famines of the 60's and 70's. My one really short Chinese friend says he never had enough to eat until he was 10 years old, when they started some of the farming reforms. The main reform was to make every rural family responsible for a chunk of land, and let them keep 80% of what they produced. The agricultural production went up by 700% in a year or two, as opposed to when the whole village "worked" together on the one big piece of land.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Unhealthy people keep breeding and this is the result. Thankfully I was given good genes and didn't stunt my growth with diets. My father was a massive 6'6 260lb linebacker, and my mother is 5'11. I ended up somewhere in the middle at 6'3 but about 110lbs lighter than my dad.

Also, blame soy formula and the stigma of breast feeding. Oh, and estrogen.
    nihil

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? Where in 500 years the whole country is stupid because none of the smart people breed, but the stupid people keep pumpin' kids out? Kind of thought of that, but in this case unhealthy people.

I think this is a possibility though. The dawn of the processed food era brought forth nutrition-void breads and cereals in mass quantities, GMO veggies and grains, infant formulas, canned baby food, factory farmed nutrition-void animal products, and an increased availablility of candies, sugars, and artificial sweeteners.

My parents fed me Gerber, McDonald's, sodas and cereal galore. I'm not particularly short (right between my mom, 5'6" and my dad, 6'1") but I always wonder if such a diet is to blame for my excessive food allergies.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    All the middle-aged Chinese people I know are relatively short, and some of them very short, but most of them were young during the famines of the 60's and 70's.
    Yep, lots of examples in history that show the relationship between height and nutrition. South Koreans are taller than North Koreans. Since they were one people until recently the obvious explanation is the poor nutrition / hunger in the North.

I hadn't thought of Americans as getting shorter until recently. But to me they seem like they are getting weaker? I wasn't alive in the 50s, but from photos/movies it seems like people were hardier, more human looking? Now there are so many guys who look like Michael Stipe, or fat and weak. There was one study that showed testosterone levels are crashing hard. That could be a big part of it, probably related to nutrition and stress.

Damn people, eat some meat. Take a vacation. Eat some meat on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? Where in 500 years the whole country is stupid because none of the smart people breed, but the stupid people keep pumpin' kids out? Kind of thought of that, but in this case unhealthy people.
    That movie is brilliant.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Money available to spend on food is not an issue. Doesn't he know all our poorer have more than sufficient EBT cards.
    So you really believe that the money a poor person gets on their EBT card is enough to pay for a month's worth of meat and vegetables for their family?

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So you really believe that the money a poor person gets on their EBT card is enough to pay for a month's worth of meat and vegetables for their family?
    When I worked at the grocery store, EBT cards purchased copious amounts of organic foods, none of which I could afford as a college student. At least the EBT cards here in WA could get you organic fruits, veggies, cheese and meats. EBT cards are just another form of food 'allowance' which does not base what you get off of price, but soley off of 'what you get.' A block of cheese could cost $12 for us regular folks using money, and we'd opt for the $6 kind of cheese instead. for EBT folk they get "a block of cheese" and they could choose whichever one they want. Price is not an issue. You can eat as well as you choose to eat.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    When I worked at the grocery store, EBT cards purchased copious amounts of organic foods, none of which I could afford as a college student. At least the EBT cards here in WA could get you organic fruits, veggies, cheese and meats. EBT cards are just another form of food 'allowance' which does not base what you get off of price, but soley off of 'what you get.' A block of cheese could cost $12 for us regular folks using money, and we'd opt for the $6 kind of cheese instead. for EBT folk they get "a block of cheese" and they could choose whichever one they want. Price is not an issue. You can eat as well as you choose to eat.
    That's not what I'm saying. EBT cards can buy anything that qualifies as "food". The issue is that the value of the benefit is by design intended to buy less than half the food the recipients need, and that (again, by intention) is cheap food that is high in starches. It is not intended to supply recipients with enough fresh food so they could stop sugar and grains. If people bought mostly meat and vegetables with their benefit, they would end up with a fraction of the food they would need to feed their family and run out of money before the first week of the month was over.

I'm not saying that people who get EBT are educated enough to choose healthy food, given the choice. They are about as food-savvy as the general public, which gets its "information" from product ads and press releases masquerading as news stories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast