Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Americans Getting Shorter page 3

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    People will go through lengths to save a few dollars. Once a gentleman came into the store and saw that a barbecue he had purchased earlier in the year was on sale. He was past the 30 day price guarentee, but still within the 90 day return policy. What he did was purchase a new barbecue at the sale price, wheel it over to the return desk, and return it with the reciept he had for the same barbecue he purchased at full price a couple months earlier. Clever? Yes. Worth saving 10 bucks? Not for me.
    I wonder if this isn't a big part of the health problem in the states. People are obsessed with getting "deals" (the largest quantity for the least bucks), and they apply this to food! Hmm I can get a huge bag of chips, or a tiny organic bell pepper, well of course the chips is the clever smart shopper deal! Supply follows demand and the corporations keep trying to get the price down for the consumer while lowering the quality of the food.

But wait dammit, we are shrinking, was it worth it?

Jorjor is offline Member
    They don't seem to factor in race though. Asians and Hispanics tend to be shorter on average and their populations in the U.S are increasing every year. I think they need to make sure they're accounting for that when calculating these statistics.

Geeknik is offline Member
    I agree with Jorjor but on the other hand I would say that white Americans are definitely shorter than northern Europeans on average anyway just based upon personal observation.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Doesn't he know all our poorer have more than sufficient EBT cards.
    $200/month for a single person doesn't buy a lot of grass fed beef or pastured eggs. Could you really do primal without CAFO meats and farmed fish on $50/week?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeknik View Post
    I agree with Jorjor but on the other hand I would say that white Americans are definitely shorter than northern Europeans on average anyway just based upon personal observation.
    According to Wikipedia, the average height for US Whites is 5 feet 10 and a half inches, for blacks it is 5 feet 10 inches, and for Mexicans it is 5 feet 7. The Northern European countries all fall in between 5 feet 10 and 6 feet even. So not much difference at all, and when you consider that "white" in the American context includes Southern and Eastern Europe as well the difference probably disappears altogether.

Comparing the heights of people in Maine now vs fifty or a hundred years ago (if the data stretches back that far) would probably be a good proxy for the true direction of American height.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    $200/month for a single person doesn't buy a lot of grass fed beef or pastured eggs. Could you really do primal without CAFO meats and farmed fish on $50/week?
    4 Grass Fed Calf Livers at Whole Foods: $10
    4 cans of Sardines $10
    1lb Grass Fed Beef $7
    12 Pastured Eggs from Whole Foods $6

And you still have $17 left over for Frozen Veggies, Garlic, Onions, butter, white rice or potatoes, and maybe a piece of fruit or something. Wouldn't live like a King, but doable. And supplementing that with just $10 of your own money each week (it is after all supposed to be "supplemental" food assistance) would give you breathing room to be a bit more creative.
    Last edited by JWBooth; 04-25-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Geeknik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the average height for US Whites is 5 feet 10 and a half inches, for blacks it is 5 feet 10 inches, and for Mexicans it is 5 feet 7. The Northern European countries all fall in between 5 feet 10 and 6 feet even. So not much difference at all, and when you consider that "white" in the American context includes Southern and Eastern Europe as well the difference probably disappears altogether.
    A two inch difference in height is actually pretty significant. Even more so since most Americans are carrying around more weight on that shorter frame than their northern European counterparts.
    Last edited by Geeknik; 04-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Height has to be taken in context of nutritional status of that nation though. There are factors that both increase height and reduce health.

Mark did a post where he states that "Staffan Lindeberg thinks that excessive serum levels of IGF-1 from diet-induced hyperinsulinemia are causing unhealthy amounts of growth, which manifest as higher rates of cancer and, yes, height, in Western populations. Simply put, Lindeberg agrees that a population’s height is an indicator of health, but only to a point, after which it indicates excessive and potentially problematic levels of IGF-1."

Now I don't believe that our reduced stature would be from actually rectifying what Lindeberg theorized on IGF-1... far from it, but its worth taking all factors into account.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post

Comparing the heights of people in Maine now vs fifty or a hundred years ago (if the data stretches back that far) would probably be a good proxy for the true direction of American height.

4 Grass Fed Calf Livers at Whole Foods: $10
    4 cans of Sardines $10
    1lb Grass Fed Beef $7
    12 Pastured Eggs from Whole Foods $6

And you still have $17 left over for Frozen Veggies, Garlic, Onions, butter, white rice or potatoes, and maybe a piece of fruit or something. Wouldn't live like a King, but doable. And supplementing that with just $10 of your own money each week (it is after all supposed to be "supplemental" food assistance) would give you breathing room to be a bit more creative.
    That's good. Thank you!

If the macros were good, all you'd have to do is add rice or potatoes for filler. How many pounds does the calf liver weigh?

As a note, protein powder is considered food now and can be purchased with EBT. I think some brands are cheap enough that grams of protein/dollar are relatively inexpensive compared to meat/eggs.

However, in general, I agree with the idea that we're creating a two class health culture. It's always existed of course. The affluent have always had access to better healthcare and nutrition. It just seems so much more blatant now with 15% of the country on food stamps, and many people working with no accesss to affordable health insurance.

In addition, we're trained to budget shop. I'm guessing if one goes to Whole Foods and buys those foods paying with EBT, eyebrows are raised by others because said shopper isn't eating Walmart junk. It's no excuse, just a cultural thing.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123