Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans Getting Shorter page 2

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    They do a very poor job at explaining away the massive influence a growing Hispanic population is having on this statistic. In America the average height of a Hispanic male is a full 4 inches shorter than a non-Hispanic white or black male. There's a big difference between malnourished immigrants of the 19th century coming from European nations with genes that transcribe into a tall person if given the chance, versus immigrants coming from regions predominant with genes which transcribe into a medium sized person if given the chance.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    As a 5'3" tall man of German descent, I have long wondered "what the hell".

M.

Jenfish is offline Junior Member
    Actually - EBT cards (food stamps or SNAP) are given a balance which is refilled each month and the recipient can purchase up to that dollar amount of food or food "products". So if a family of 4 received $200 for a month based on their income, it would not go far if grass-fed meat, and organic veggies and dairy where chosen. This leads to lots of pasta-roni and 2 liter soda purchasing. You would be amazed at the judgement a person on food stamps faces for buying steak. I know how to feed my family good food on a budget, but I was taught the skills to do so. WIC (Women Infants and Children) provides checks for the store with certain items listed such as cereal, eggs, peanut butter or blocks of cheese. There are specific restrictions on size, brands and everything but produce must be non-organic. For WIC, the only items with complete free choice is produce- for which one child is given $6-9 per month. I work for a community action agency that serves those in poverty in my 3 county region. My agency runs our food bank, emergency heating, emergency and transitional housing and workforce programs among others. There are so many misconceptions and judgments about these programs and those in poverty that it is really difficult for those who have a desire to be independent and learn. As with so many things, the few that abuse the programs make it awful for those using it as a stepping stone or for survival and the few who spew judgement on those in poverty perpetuate the misconceptions that keep the system broken. The vast majority of folks showing up for these services would rather be anywhere else.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That's not what I'm saying. EBT cards can buy anything that qualifies as "food". The issue is that the value of the benefit is by design intended to buy less than half the food the recipients need, and that (again, by intention) is cheap food that is high in starches. It is not intended to supply recipients with enough fresh food so they could stop sugar and grains. If people bought mostly meat and vegetables with their benefit, they would end up with a fraction of the food they would need to feed their family and run out of money before the first week of the month was over.

I'm not saying that people who get EBT are educated enough to choose healthy food, given the choice. They are about as food-savvy as the general public, which gets its "information" from product ads and press releases masquerading as news stories.
    Please see: Electronic Benefit Transfer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "State agencies work with contractors to procure their own EBT systems for delivery of SNAP and other state-administered benefit programs." EBT level of benefits are determined by each state. SNAP is Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Note the word "Supplemental". States choose the benefit level they want to supplement and this is determined for each receipent. Supplemental means to supplement, not to completely replace.

EBT benefits include both food and cash. See EXCLUSIVE: Welfare recipients using EBT cards to get cash at strip clubs, X-rated video stores and bars - NYPOST.com. The cash received by a recipient can be used for any purpose including but not limited to food. If the cash is being used for the referenced purposes (also for cruises and hotels) the recipients are clearly making the choice not to spend it on food.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-23-2013 at 11:58 AM.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    The other days I was thinking; if the dawn of agriculture 10,000 years ago resulted in a 4" decrease to our height, isn't it possible the processed food era is doing the same?

Here is an article from 2004 that says height in the US is decreasing, while height in Europe is on the rise...
    It is possible, but your story doesn't really shed any light on the issue. My guess is that the height of white Americans is consistent with that of Europeans. "Americans" are getting shorter on average only because of the waves of diminutive mestizo immigrants from Mexico and the rest of Latin America. Mestizos and Latin American Indians are just short people. Add them to Denmark in the numbers we have here and the average height of "Danes" would go down too. Unless you find a study saying whites of Northern European descent are getting shorter, there is really nothing to support what you are saying.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Please see: Electronic Benefit Transfer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "State agencies work with contractors to procure their own EBT systems for delivery of SNAP and other state-administered benefit programs." EBT level of benefits are determined by each state. SNAP is Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Note the word "Supplemental". States choose the benefit level they want to supplement and this is determined for each receipent. Supplemental means to supplement, not to completely replace.
    Some states provide 50% of estimated food cost. Some provide a lot less. You're right that in either case, even when a person legitimately has no other income-maybe they are 100% disabled and can't work-they are expected to somehow come up with the money themselves to pay for the remainder of the cost of a crappy diet. Or starve.

EBT benefits include both food and cash. See EXCLUSIVE: Welfare recipients using EBT cards to get cash at strip clubs, X-rated video stores and bars - NYPOST.com. The cash received by a recipient can be used for any purpose including but not limited to food. If the cash is being used for the referenced purposes (also for cruises and hotels) the recipients are clearly making the choice not to spend it on food.
    EBT benefits do NOT include both food and cash. Don't you understand the difference between EBT and TANF and how they are administered? This looks like a problem in NY. Probably you should talk to your legislators about that.

sqidmark is offline Member
    My wife works at a NJ supermarket. There is a very steady stream of the "underprivileged" who use the various forms of public assistance programs. Believe me, they know every trick in the book to circumvent any roadblocks these systems have. Want cash? No problem - "buy" a cart load of food and then immediately wheel it around to the courtesy counter for a cash "refund". From there it's booze, cigarettes etc. And yes, our so-called legislators are well aware of it, they just don't give a crap. My wife says she watches in disbelief as many of these "underprivileged" drive away in high-end cars like BMW's. She gets to see this week after week, year after year, for many many years now.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I grew up on food stamps; I was pretty sure you could only refund it to the card (similar to any other debit).

Flew the coop, never wanted to apply for them ever. Now I don't have to, because I'm actually starting a career that'll allow me to afford actual food. I have also restructured how I wish to spend money.

M.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    If you show up to a customer service desk without a receipt, many times you are refunded in "cash" in the form of a gift card that only works at that store.

In many cases, stores that sell groceries also sell booze and cigarettes.

People will go through lengths to save a few dollars. Once a gentleman came into the store and saw that a barbecue he had purchased earlier in the year was on sale. He was past the 30 day price guarentee, but still within the 90 day return policy. What he did was purchase a new barbecue at the sale price, wheel it over to the return desk, and return it with the reciept he had for the same barbecue he purchased at full price a couple months earlier. Clever? Yes. Worth saving 10 bucks? Not for me.

(I spent 5 1/2 years working in the grocery industry--I've seen it all)
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    It is possible, but your story doesn't really shed any light on the issue. My guess is that the height of white Americans is consistent with that of Europeans. "Americans" are getting shorter on average only because of the waves of diminutive mestizo immigrants from Mexico and the rest of Latin America. Mestizos and Latin American Indians are just short people. Add them to Denmark in the numbers we have here and the average height of "Danes" would go down too. Unless you find a study saying whites of Northern European descent are getting shorter, there is really nothing to support what you are saying.
    I'm not saying, claiming or selling anything...just asking interesting questions.

It wouldn't surprise me if Americans started getting shorter...specifically from their diet (not immigration). But then again it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't lose height but instead gained width and lost strength.

It could be that while their diet is crap, it contains enough protein/fat vitamins/minerals so as not to trigger vertical shrinkage, but surplus sugar/carbs to trigger horizontal expansion. Guess we have to give it a few hundred years and check back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast