Thread: Do I have to track calories/nutrients? page

Lynx33 is offline Member

Do I have to track calories/nutrients?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a month in to eating paleo. I did it mainly to see if i was sensitive to wheat, and found out that I was. I don't really enjoy eating foods with high carbs. Sweet potatos are too sweet for me. I tried squash but I almost threw up. Regular potatos taste gross now too for some reason. I've been happy just eating meats and vegetables this month, do others do this too? The first 2 weeks i tracked everything i ate but it got too stressfull so I just stopped. Some days i'll eat some fries or rice noodles if i get cravings but for the most part its just meat and vegetables now. Ive been dropping about 2 lbs a week but I seem to have stopped (it wasnt my goal to lose weight) and im trying to maintain my this weight now(5'11, 172lbs). The first week without the carbs was hell, i was shaking and had headaches and felt like a zombie, but now i feel normal. Are there others that are able to maintain weight eating this way? I'm naturally a twig, it took me years to put on muscle.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I have been eating mainly veggies and meat for close to 60 days now. My weight fluctuates everyday but I've only lost about 5lbs total. But if you look at my before and after photos you will see that I've definitely been putting on muscle. That is the only way to explain such a dramatic difference with only 5lbs lost.

If you are afraid of a big caloric deficit you can always add fat. It is more calorie dense than carbs so you shouldn't have a problem maintaining weight that way.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating meat, fish, veggies, fats, and some nuts and chocolate for 5.5 months now. Occasionally I have rice or rice noodles. I'm feeling much, much better.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    The sudden weight you lost was probably just water weight - this happens when you drop the grains, as they retain water in your body.

As long as you're getting sufficient food you will maintain your weight.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Do you have to track Calories? Definately Not. Do you have to track macronutrients? No, but it would be a good idea to do so for about 2 weeks to give you some understanding of what you're eating. Use a nutrition tracker, like paleotrack.com, that reports in %s, not lbs or cal., and total cal.

After 2 weeks, don't track anymore, just maintain about the same types of macros.