Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Becoming fat adapted page

AMC
    AMC is offline Senior Member

Becoming fat adapted

Primal Fuel
    I know everybody is different, but i'm curious to hear about people's experiences becoming fat-adapted. I'm almost a week into primal, and am having trouble lowering my carbs too much due to low blood sugar. I'm definitely still a sugar burner. Anybody have tips or want to share their experience?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    What trouble are you having?

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I know everybody is different, but i'm curious to hear about people's experiences becoming fat-adapted. I'm almost a week into primal, and am having trouble lowering my carbs too much due to low blood sugar. I'm definitely still a sugar burner. Anybody have tips or want to share their experience?
    What are your symptoms? How low carb are you going?

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    What are your symptoms? How low carb are you going?
    The typical hypoglycemia: dizziness, shakiness, low energy, can't think straight. I've always had low blood sugar If I went more than 2-3 hour without eating. My doctor gave me the typical carbs and protein very few hour protocol (I'm not diabetic), so moving away from that is hard. Before primal I was 200+ g of carbs. Now I'm aiming for 100-150ish and even that is hard. Maybe I should go more gradually? Or just tough it out?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Sure, go gradually. No need to go cold turkey. This is a long-term project anyway, right?

AMC
    Yes, plan on being primal for the long haul!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I went cold turkey (previously breakfast was oatmeal and fruit, lunch and dinner had lots of rice, not a lot of protein), and while I had "carb flu" symptoms, they weren't to the point of dizziness and shakiness. But at about week 3, I turned the corner, and it was a revelation. No more a slave to the blood-sugar induced hunger, I could work out fasted, I started doing 16-hour IF without a problem. It was like liberation. But remember, if you're doing a lot of exercise, especially endurance stuff, you'll need more carbs than the "carb curve" might indicate. I do pretty much PBF: lots of walking, occasional lifting and sprinting, so I can be at 75-100g carbs/day and it's fine, but you may be different.

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    I went cold turkey (previously breakfast was oatmeal and fruit, lunch and dinner had lots of rice, not a lot of protein), and while I had "carb flu" symptoms, they weren't to the point of dizziness and shakiness. But at about week 3, I turned the corner, and it was a revelation. No more a slave to the blood-sugar induced hunger, I could work out fasted, I started doing 16-hour IF without a problem. It was like liberation. But remember, if you're doing a lot of exercise, especially endurance stuff, you'll need more carbs than the "carb curve" might indicate. I do pretty much PBF: lots of walking, occasional lifting and sprinting, so I can be at 75-100g carbs/day and it's fine, but you may be different.
    Wow, I'm hoping something like that happens to me! I am pretty active, a lot of walking, some running and weight lifting.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'm hypoglycemic and went cold-turkey also. So I had 3 weeks of dizzyness, lightheadedness, shakiness, and I felt pretty awful, miserable over all. But after that amazing changes happened.

I started out eating every 3.5 - 4 hours as I've always been taught, but not eating any sugar at all. Just meat, fish non-starchy veggies, nuts, berries, green leaves, etc. I would never go back.

Now I'm getting better at eating only when I'm hungry. For me this has meant moving breakfast later and later. But now it's getting funny. I had 'breakfast', bacon, eggs & cheese, between 2:30 and 3pm. Guess for the first time I'll just skip lunch and see what happens.

About 3 weeks ago, on this idea of eating only when hungry, I had a near mistake. I got hungry slightly but didn't really pay attention. All of a sudden, Bam, I was starving and raced into the kitchen and ate everything at hand. I acted just quickly enough and the sudden light-headedness cleared after eating. I wouldn't have even thought of trying this at first.

Easing into it would not be for me. You don't get good signals from your body, so you keep trying to control everything yourself, and driving yourself crazy. I believed that if fed healthy, nutrient dense foods, my poor sick body would adjust and tell me what it wants.

AMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I'm hypoglycemic and went cold-turkey also. So I had 3 weeks of dizzyness, lightheadedness, shakiness, and I felt pretty awful, miserable over all. But after that amazing changes happened.

I started out eating every 3.5 - 4 hours as I've always been taught, but not eating any sugar at all. Just meat, fish non-starchy veggies, nuts, berries, green leaves, etc. I would never go back.

Thank you!! Can I ask what carb level you started at when you went cold turkey? I'm active, so I'm not quite sure where I should be at. Also, did you even bother exercising during those 3 weeks?

Now I'm getting better at eating only when I'm hungry. For me this has meant moving breakfast later and later. But now it's getting funny. I had 'breakfast', bacon, eggs & cheese, between 2:30 and 3pm. Guess for the first time I'll just skip lunch and see what happens.

About 3 weeks ago, on this idea of eating only when hungry, I had a near mistake. I got hungry slightly but didn't really pay attention. All of a sudden, Bam, I was starving and raced into the kitchen and ate everything at hand. I acted just quickly enough and the sudden light-headedness cleared after eating. I wouldn't have even thought of trying this at first.

Easing into it would not be for me. You don't get good signals from your body, so you keep trying to control everything yourself, and driving yourself crazy. I believed that if fed healthy, nutrient dense foods, my poor sick body would adjust and tell me what it wants.

Thank you!! Can I ask what carb level you started at when you went cold turkey? I'm active, so I'm not quite sure where I should be at. Also, did you even bother exercising during those 3 weeks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast