Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Cyclists - energy levels page

RichyF is offline Junior Member

Road Cyclists - energy levels

Primal Fuel
    to all those who go out on long rides on road bikes... do you feel like you don't have enough energy being on the primal lifestyle?

I did 100km last week and about half way through felt exceptionally tired. I had eaten an omelette for breakfast, a banana before the ride and I had 2 bananas with me during the ride but it still wasn't enough.

I decided to stop and grab a sandwich to give me enough fuel to make it home.

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    Longest ride recently was 58 miles in February to celebrate turning 58. Avg speed about 13 mph. Main issue: boredom after 2 hours in the saddle. Started with a big primal breakfast, took some nuts and other primal snax with me, had no problems.
    I would guess that 100 miles is a whole different ball of wax, depending on your age, fitness level, number of hills, and avg speed etc etc. Recommendations: Take a lot of cashews and almonds and full sugar halvah (made from sesame and tahini) for energy and use the low carb sports drinks tablets to keep your electrolytes in balance.

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Egerland View Post
    Longest ride recently was 58 miles in February to celebrate turning 58. Avg speed about 13 mph. Main issue: boredom after 2 hours in the saddle. Started with a big primal breakfast, took some nuts and other primal snax with me, had no problems.
    I would guess that 100 miles is a whole different ball of wax, depending on your age, fitness level, number of hills, and avg speed etc etc. Recommendations: Take a lot of cashews and almonds and full sugar halvah (made from sesame and tahini) for energy and use the low carb sports drinks tablets to keep your electrolytes in balance.
    He said 100km not miles.....100km is just over 60 miles from memory....I have found that I bonk/hit the wall less on a Primal Diet than if I carb load before a ride and take a snack..Going to go out later and do 30 miles fasted for the first time....Been doing 16 hour IF (with a huge Primal feed around 6pm)for a couple of weeks now and feel suitably adjusted to have a go at exercise after 16 or so hours without food..

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichyF View Post
    to all those who go out on long rides on road bikes... do you feel like you don't have enough energy being on the primal lifestyle?

I did 100km last week and about half way through felt exceptionally tired. I had eaten an omelette for breakfast, a banana before the ride and I had 2 bananas with me during the ride but it still wasn't enough.

I decided to stop and grab a sandwich to give me enough fuel to make it home.
    I would recommend you read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Volek and Phinney. If you are new to primal (low carb version), it will take you some time to be "fat-adapted" / ketogenic. Don't push it too much at the beginning, or you will feel disheartened that your body cannot keep up with a level of physical activity that seemed routine before your primal change. The book is very enlightening in this very subject.

slava is offline Junior Member
    I regularly ride 100miles on the bike and then do a run off the bike (up to 1h15 so far - training for ironman!). I have a large primal breakfast and hour or two before setting off (bacon, eggs, spinach, mushrooms and melon). I have tried fueling on coconut cream, banana and dried fruit and I rigorously eat every 15 minutes (about 50-80 calories) from the very start of the ride so I don't get into a deficit too quickly - this for me is the key. This works for the ride but my gut does not like it by the time I hit 45-50mins on the run so I have to confess to going down the mule bar high carb route (predominately rice syrup for carb) for the last 2 hours on the bike and then the run is fine. I think endurance fueling is different to fueling shorter distances. Anyone else any thoughts on endurance - 6hrs plus?

triathlete_82 is offline Junior Member
    Check out this thread I stumbled across - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread6513-7.html

I am also interested in this, however it would be great if people could list their training regime to give an idea of how many calories you are burning and intensity of training. If your just doing 60%maxHR for 3hrs+ yes a high fat meal will get you through, but if your punching out 95% for 5min here and there over a 3.5hr race including a climb of 85%maxHR for an hour in the middle, I cannot see how your body could convert fat fast enough to make you competitive. Also consider a 2hr training ride with 10min on 10min off 90%maxHR efforts for an hour, I would have thought that physiologically your body couldn't keep up from fat stores (no matter how much training you have done to help it), ESPECIALLY if you need to back up the next day. Also 100mile+ rides with high intensity hills and intervals, which would be a regular weekend training ride for me (both days).

I need over 3500cal, and was riding 400km (250mi) a week (including racing) on the old high carb diet. I now have adrenal fatigue, but I want to get back to that level however do it primal (have been on Paleo for 7months now for my recovery). Anybody that has trained and raced at the level I am talking about, please share some insights!

slava is offline Junior Member
    I agree traithlete_82 - I cannot rely on fat burning alone on my rides - I usually have at least 2000m of climbing on most of my century rides if not more and often go out an do intervals for hours at a stretch - I need carbs and easily absorbable ones. My Garmin gave a calorie deficit of 4800cals on my last ride - I know it overestimates but I try and replace maybe half whilst riding. I've been paleo for just over a year. I too would love to know how to do this or whether it is even possible with a more paleo approach. I've tried coconut milk and coconut cream but what do you guys use?

miata is online now Senior Member
    I've been doing 100 km rides with 2,000 m of hill climbing on the last few Saturdays with about 7,500 cals listed on my Garmin. I must be fat adjusted by now, because I feel fine the whole ride as well as after. For breakfast, I usually have a bullet proof coffee with 2 TB of clarified kerryGold butter and 2 TB of coconut oil and 3 soft boiled eggs . The only thing I eat on the ride is a couple of bananas and a bar of dark chocolate. I probably drink a liter of Cytomax, so that probably provides a good carbo flow.

SavedbyKate is offline Junior Member
    I cycle 100km 2 or 3 times/week from May to July to train for an event. I have a bacon/egg breakfast. then I take egg muffins made with avocado and eat one every 20k. I eat a piece of fruit at around the half way mark. And I alternate drinking water and coconut water. Primal and I find it a really good carb/fat balance.
    My difficulty is on the actual event when the food is provided - that is when I can't seem to get a good balance and struggle with energy sometimes.

RaissaAlve is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I want to say “Way to go.” on this article. I really enjoyed all the useful information you included in your content. It’s engaging and solid data that is obviously researched and well-written. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast