Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page

ombat is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show

Or, "Where in the World is Ombat's Diagnosis?" I have more of these.

So this is new for me, the whole, "not do things alone" thing. But it's working out so far.

I'm relocating my journal of 8.5 months from my phone to here so I can get some objective eyes.
    I'm a bit too burnt out to ramble on here for pages (you're welcome), but everything up until this point can be found starting roughly here. I'm sure all of it will come out here in time, though.

My (relevant) timeline basically looks like this:
    Childhood had daily headaches, fatigue, mood problems, painful stomach upsets which resulted in about 8+ years of daily doses of ibuprofen. The stomach upsets were chalked up to "nerves".
    My mother made most of our meals which were never sparse on meat and vegetables. I never really cared for wheat or dairy products, though I did eat some on a daily basis. I was a runt - 10th percentile in height and weight - but I had an insatiable appetite and ate more than most of my family. Sometimes I would eat so much in one sitting that my stomach couldn't handle it and I would vomit.

Teen years saw no relief in headaches despite being put on multiple medications, fatigue worsened drastically, serious depression issues. Stomach upsets were much less frequent, though. Still very skinny.

First year of college my diet drastically changed: pizza, pasta, cookies, ice cream, sandwiches. I barely gained any weight (5lb?) but I looked like I was pregnant most of the time from bloat and everything looked and felt puffy and inflamed. I had terrible brain fog and could barely string simple sentences together most times. This is when I started looking into gluten intolerance and that summer I had testing done which confirmed it.

That summer I felt incredible. I leaned out, had a TON of energy, and my mood was through the roof. At the end of summer I contracted a bacterial infection (from a waterfall hike) and went back to school vomiting with a 101 degree fever for over a week. This created a whole new turn in my health.

I spent the first couple of months of my sophomore year dizzy and falling over, getting too fatigued to make it up stairs, developing arthritic pain, and seeing my digestive issues come back, mainly in the form of severe constipation. Still off gluten, I cut out dairy, then soy, then corn, nightshades (realized potatoes give me fevers), eggs, nuts, yeast, the list goes on. I don't even know what I was eating. I started seeing gastros, naturopaths, and even a rheumatologist because the joint pain was so severe. I was tested for bugs, SIBO, fructose malabsorption (all negative), put on adrenal medication, given cleanses, tried HCL, digestive enzymes, the list goes on. I dropped down to 100 pounds (normal weight on me is 107-109) but my arthritic pain went away.

That spring I was tested for food allergies. The results were gluten, dairy, yeast, sugarcane, and some oddities. I cut those out and added everything else back in. I gained my weight back and felt relatively okay.

Last summer I started eating primal and my digestive problems made it to an all time high: constipated for a week at a time and bloating so severe I almost went to the hospital. I tried a GAPS/SCD diet for a while but with no relief. Upon returning to school in the fall I started working with a dietitian who uses the paleo diet and spent the first 4 months eating meat, spinach, and green beans and supplementing with glutamine and gelatin and probiotics. I had energy again and my bloating went completely away for about 2 of those months. I still couldn't have a bowel movement so I started taking magnesium citrate which I continue with to this day (and it works perfectly). In the 3rd month my bloating came back with full force with no change in diet (This makes me suspect some sort of candida, because I've read that they can thrive on ketones). I also lost my period at this time. Desperate, I added back sweet potatoes and other starches and waited for my menstrual cycle to return, which it did (I got my hormones checked about a month later anyway, and I have low estrogen...?). I then tried introducing ghee into my diet, but it resulted in debilitating headaches and I developed puss-filled bumps all over my thighs, so I cut that out. Since then I've added other paleo foods back into my diet without any disturbingly noticeable effects, but my main food intake is basically meat, fish, eggs, and sweet potatoes. I've learned that I do okay with nightshade spices and tomatoes, but potatoes make me extremely sleepy (as opposed to giving me fevers like they used to). I've also learned that onions make me double over in pain. I now only eat low FODMAP veggies, if I eat veggies at all. I've tried probiotics to help with the inability to digest veg but fermented foods make me worse. I take a probiotic capsule every morning but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I still try to suck on saurkraut every once in a while.

I was taking digestive enzymes for about 6 months, thinking that I was starving all the time because I wasn't digesting properly, but I stopped taking them a few weeks ago and nothing has changed. My appetite has possibly even diminished.

Oh, and I'm not quite sure when this started (a year ago?), but my face is a disaster. Acne everywhere. It does seem to get better with fish oil / vitamin D, though. I've stopped using conventional soaps (on my face, body, and hair) which seems to be helping, too.

Today:

My only real complaints are persistent sensitivities (I tried eating an orange a few weeks ago and 5 minutes later I looked like I was about to give birth to twins) and fatigue (though it's markedly better than it has been) and acne.

I'm waiting to take more comprehensive bacteria / parasite tests and also to have my thyroid tested (I've only ever had TSH checked). I should have done this months ago but I'm so tired of doctors. I have an appointment with my school's health center for Friday because I can't get into my real gastro for another month and I'm running out of patience.

In the meantime I've started a modified Emma version of the SCD intro diet - bone broths, plain meats fish, and eggs, white rice (digests easily for me), maybe a little applesauce and carrot juice. We'll see. The last few weeks I've adopted a little too much of a "fuck it" attitude and have been eating things that I know upset my stomach, like fruit and honey, excess coconut, eating out which always ends badly, and yesterday I even ate some hummus. I need to reset.

Well, if you've read this far you're either one of those who have so kindly been helping me out lately or you're completely crazy. Either way I appreciate it and any thoughts, comments, or suggestions that you have. I'm so much better than I've been in the past two years and I've almost just decided to settle and accept my fate as is but there's still a tiny bit of fire left in me. I've been shut down so many times by doctors who tell me I'm crazy because they can't find anything wrong, and friends and family are supportive and sympathetic but they can't help. I'm really burnt out and I'm running out of hope but you guys have inspired me to keep trying. Thank you.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ombat; 04-22-2013 at 12:33 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm your first fan!

Let's get this party started.

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Well, if you've read this far you're either one of those who have so kindly been helping me out lately or you're completely crazy. Either way I appreciate it and any thoughts, comments, or suggestions that you have. I'm so much better than I've been in the past two years and I've almost just decided to settle and accept my fate as is but there's still a tiny bit of fire left in me. I've been shut down so many times by doctors who tell me I'm crazy because they can't find anything wrong, and friends and family are supportive and sympathetic but they can't help. I'm really burnt out and I'm running out of hope but you guys have inspired me to keep trying. Thank you.
    Just wanted to say I totally relate to this paragraph. It's why I started my journal. I kept writing these long epic posts on MDA and realised that channeling my feelings and observations into an ordered format might help me move forward. It has. And one of the cool parts is looking back and seeing entries where things didn't make sense, and now they do. Give yourself lots of license to make mistakes
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Thanks YB! I think this will be much more beneficial than what I was doing before. I've started writing today's entry and I've already made an insight that I might not have

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ombat, thanks for the intro. I wish you continued good progress on your journey to health, you are one determined person. Don't give up.

Zach is offline Banned
    Have you been tested for lyme disease?

Is there any form of sugar that does not effect you? Maple syrup?

Have you ever tried fresh juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Hi Ombat, thanks for the intro. I wish you continued good progress on your journey to health, you are one determined person. Don't give up.
    Thank you for the encouragement, Annie! I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Have you been tested for lyme disease?
    I haven't, but am I mistaken or doesn't it present with some sort of rash from the bite?

Is there any form of sugar that does not effect you? Maple syrup?
    I tried coconut water recently and it sat really well with me. I don't remember maple syrup giving me any weird reactions, though I probably wasn't feeling all to well the last time I tried it. Funny I actually almost picked some up the other day to replace my honey because I thought I might process it better, but decided no sugar in the house was a better idea. Think I should try it?

Also, refined sugar doesn't seem to upset my stomach too much but it makes the rest of me feel like crap.

Edit: Yes, that does remind me of the conversation we recently had.

Have you ever tried fresh juice?
    It's like you're in my head. I almost picked up some carrot juice today. Fruit juices are instant bloat and I have a feeling carrot juice might only be mildly better as it is pretty sugary for a vegetable, but I'm willing to try it.

Zach is offline Banned
    The fact that you started getting arthritis symptoms after a trek through the woods stands out to me big time. Lyme disease is really fucking weird and if not caught right away it can do all sorts of bad shit to you, especially arthritis type symptoms. And no it does not always leave a mark, usually it will be a bullseye type bite but i have heard of many people getting it without seeing the bite.

I reaaaaaaalllly think you need sugar in your diet. You are underweight and are dealing with classic hypo symptoms along with candida symptoms. Both benefit greatly from sugar. If your body is getting its sugar from breaking down protein then that just adds to all these problems.

Also im talking fresh squeezed, like buy a juicer and do it yourself. Not only a great way to get sugar, minerals and vitamins, but also you get enzymes which will probably help greatly with digestion.

Also salt helps with stomach acid products among other things, hopefully you are eating some.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    The fact that you started getting arthritis symptoms after a trek through the woods stands out to me big time. Lyme disease is really fucking weird and if not caught right away it can do all sorts of bad shit to you, especially arthritis type symptoms. And no it does not always leave a mark, usually it will be a bullseye type bite but i have heard of many people getting it without seeing the bite.

I reaaaaaaalllly think you need sugar in your diet. You are underweight and are dealing with classic hypo symptoms along with candida symptoms. Both benefit greatly from sugar. If your body is getting its sugar from breaking down protein then that just adds to all these problems.

Also im talking fresh squeezed, like buy a juicer and do it yourself. Not only a great way to get sugar, minerals and vitamins, but also you get enzymes which will probably help greatly with digestion.

Also salt helps with stomach acid products among other things, hopefully you are eating some.
    I'll talk to the doctor about that as well. Would lyme persist for this long? And would markers still be there after 2 years? I don't know anything.

I never hear the same thing twice about candida. Sugar would be beneficial for fighting against it? How's that?

What kind of vegetables do you recommend (or fruits that you think won't bother my stomach)?

I use sea salt at every meal and in my water when I'm particularly thirsty.

Did I mention "thank you"?

EDIT: I just read that Lyme is not found in Hawai'i, which is where I caught the illness. And where my avatar picture was taken. I'm not quite that thin anymore, if that's where you're getting the underweight thing from by the way
    Last edited by ombat; 04-22-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast