Page 97 of 138 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page 97

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well that doesn't sound like fun. But you could easily figure out if dairy is the culprit - just don't eat it for a few weeks.

Generally I think that GAPS (and SCD) are kind of dumb (this is the most accurate word, honestly) unless you're suffering from 10x daily diarhhea or severe intolerances and need immediate relief. I believe that aspects of the protocol are beneficial (bone broths) and some are misguided (nut based goods for GAPS, can't remember if SCD does this too). Nameless is correct, it is quite low in carbohydrates so would be detrimental to most, I think, in the long run.

From that link you posted it seems as though the skin condition is autoimmune, so if you're really set on doing an elimination, I would just do that. The standard autoimmune protocol calls for the removal of nightshades, nuts, eggs, dairy, and probably a few other things but I wouldn't take it even further by removing all of the things that GAPS and SCD would have you remove. If you want to do the intro for a few days that's fine. I've done it a few times to get back to "baseline" or if I feel shitty for whatever reason, but listen to your body and don't do anyting that doesn't feel right or leaves you hungry or craving a particular macro.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, GAPS is pretty low carb, and you're not allowed to each starches on it! That would be really hard for me. I'd have to eat a TON of fruit, pumpkin, and squash to get enough carbs.

Hey, nameless, the GAPS site says that if you're constipated, you should drink carrot juice and cod liver oil first thing in the morning to increase bile production. Have you tried that? (Ray Peat doesn't believe in omega-3s, but I still supplement with it.) I have a problem with constipation too, but I know exactly what my problem is and it's not low bile so the carrot juice probably won't help me.

The thing is, the autoimmune protocol is super restrictive too, and you also can't have any starches, except sweet potatoes. You also can't have nightshades, which you're allowed on GAPS (except potatoes), and I LOVE spicy food. I even put hot peppers in my water--I make this salty pepper tea, weird, I know.

Anyway, it's all theoretical. I don't think I'd be able to make it very long on either diet.

I'm just going to focus on giving up dairy for now. I'm weirdly addicted to it.

You can get plenty of carbs from fruit and sugar without starch. Rice is very low on the autoimmune no-no list - I'm sure you could get away with that. Just try dairy for now and see what happens.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I don't have a juicer =\ I know a carrot salad in the morning has been a suggestion around here (by Derp or Zach, I forget) for constipation & such. I guess I'm just lazy? Haha, it would not be that hard to try. I don't know if low bile is part of my issue or not. I got HCL capsules once, but they are too large of a dose per capsule and give me terrible heartburn no matter how much I empty them beforehand. Peppermint, a digestive bitter, helps me though. I don't know what that means about my gut!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Name, if bitters help you then it might be a bile issue, as that is what they are meant to stimulate.

Careless in Los Angeles
    July 13-16

I love fuck-its. This weekend may not have been great for my stomach (it was not happy!) but it was great for Bathead. Friday-Sunday I spent bouncing around from friend to friend until my mom finally tracked me down and made me go home. I guess it was time to change out the dress I had been wearing for the past 36 hours...

I was so busy and having so much fun that I never even looked at my phone (save to call a friend) let alone took it out to jot down what I was eating, how I felt, etc. I barely thought of anything health or food relatedÖ IRC, the only things I consumed on Saturday before dinner were 3 cups of coffee, a scoop of (disgusting) potato salad, and a crap ton of m&ms and mini Reese's cups. After my "lunch" of said fare I sincerely wanted to vomit but I got over it. My stomach was very angry at me (lots of gurgling, gas, etc.) but I ignored it. Actually, the belly massages helped tremendously (thank you, Ci!) but I did them so often that I actually ended up bruising my skin! Oops. Internal bleeds? I hope not. I felt fine that day energy-wise but the next day and for the remainder of my visit I felt horrible and exhausted. However, it was my first time in LA in the past couple of years that I wasn't completely constipated so I took that as a vast improvement.

Also, everyone commented that I looked very healthyÖ Scale at Mom's still reads 117 lb. Must have all gone to my boobies.

Today, Wednesday, July 17

Back to reality, I'm ready to re-resume a Zach inspired WOE: ice cream, fruit, eggs, cheese, gelatin, etc. but with more meat and fish. I had 1/2 a cup of coffee Haagen Dazs ice cream with mango for dinner tonight and I'm no worse for wear; a bit less bloated than I'd be after a starch heavy meal and no gas, rumbling, or pain.

- My energy was great today after a bacon+eggs breakfast and a tuna+feta lunch (with some chocolate) so I don't think I have a problem with meat alone; I think more issues arise when I try to eat meat and fruit together, for example. My stomach just might not be strong enough for that yet and it wears me out trying to deal with it?
    - Digestion was amazing: all-star BMs. Really, spectacular. Bloat is still present, though.
    - Face looks puffy again - coming off a weekend of starch. Is that even a possibility or am I completely making this up? Ohh, but my plantains sauteed in butter and honey tasted soooo good with my pisco sour..

And holy low-carb primal Batman! 1700 kcal and only 90g of carbs. I gon' lose weight!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    That all sounds really positive! Maybe I should start eating ice cream again

Oh, and good to have you back
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That all sounds really positive! Maybe I should start eating ice cream again

Oh, and good to have you back
    Coffee ice cream. Two birds with one stone..

Thankew! I'm back. Sorta. Going to continue to track a few symptoms while I continue to tweak my diet. Not going to post too much of it here, though. Might not use this journal much for a while unless something odd comes up.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Thankew! I'm back. Sorta. Going to continue to track a few symptoms while I continue to tweak my diet. Not going to post too much of it here, though. Might not use this journal much for a while unless something odd comes up.
    B-b-b-but... what will I do without knowing about your BMs?!

I'm glad you're taking a break, if it feels right. I found it pretty liberating when I stopped doing it. My journal has just become an assembly of general rants now

What made you decide to stop? (As you can see, I'm still going to post here )
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I can't deal with this now...
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 97 of 138 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast