Page 68 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show

Shop Now
    See, I thought I read something like that, but I just looked it up and saw something like 6-8! More searching is needed, clearly.

[edit] I am crazy and read it all wrong. The RDA is 55 mcg, you only need 1 to reach that, so my 4 daily is probably too many. I guess it doesn't work to get rid of the fungal infection, but maybe it will help keep it away once I treat it topically.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

namelesswonder--from Chris Kresser: "Selenium is plentiful in organ meats, ocean fish, and in brazil nuts. One brazil nut contains 100 mcg of selenium, but it also contains a whopping 1 g of omega-6 linoleic acid, which as you know from previous articles in the series, we want to limit significantly. This is why I don’t recommend brazil nuts as a source of selenium. Ocean fish are also good sources of selenium. 100 g of cod contains about 150 mcg."
    9 Steps to Perfect Health – #4: Supplement Wisely

One gram of omega-6 per nut is a lot! Sorry about my orthorexia!

That is a lot. I tend to get joint inflammation (pain in knees and hands) if I have too much PUFA, especially omega-6, but these do not seem to have bothered me yet.
    Journal

Depression Lies

I agree. I would rather minimize PUFA exposure, Nameless. Try organ meat instead - full of tons of other vitamins and minerals as well.

Blegh, yes, that's on the to do list. :-p
    Journal

Depression Lies

Ha, people are not a fan of the organ meats, are they? Funny we just had a discussion here about it. Beef liver is my favorite, personally, and tastes pretty good if you can get a nice crisp on it (rice or coconut flour as a "breading" works well).

EDIT: Also, back to the fungal skin thing, do you suffer from any other fungal related issues? Digestive or otherwise? I think that I've been dealing with something systemic off and on for a while now.
    Last edited by ombat; 06-17-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I was tested with high candida (serum) levels in late 2011. I had yeast infections pretty regularly at that time and they continued until most of last year. Then my constipation started in the summer. It's starting to clear up now. I think colostrum powder was the key savior (lactoferrin has antibacterial properties). The skin thing started in 2006, with no other symptoms that I can recall. My dad has it too, but I've read it can't be transmitted [[shrug]].
    Journal

Depression Lies

I'm sorry you've been having to deal with all of this... I'm going to be tested for fungi/candida very soon which is actually what I first wanted to be checked for when all this started 2 years ago. I had chronic yeast infections until I gave up gluten (and presumably yeast in general) but my digestive issues don't seem to let up for more than very short periods at a time and I still have bouts of constipation even though magnesium takes care of most of the time. But that's more of a treatment than a cure... For some time I thought the skin discoloration to be from a nut allergy as it would come and go with reintroduction and elimination of nuts, but now it persists no matter what. Now I'm thinking I was just consuming moldy nuts...

Interesting about colostrum powder. Not sure I've heard of that as a treatment for candida... and I've heard about a lot of things.

Yeah, I didn't find much info about it, tbh. I just took a chance. Sometimes the power of positive reviews just gets to me. "It's amazing! My everything was cured!" The user Ron_Swanson has some interesting thoughts about digestive stuff, he has a post over in Nutrition offering up help on digestive issues. He sent me some information, I might try it out when $$ is less strapped.
    Journal

Depression Lies

Shop Now
    You don't know how many things I've tried because it supposedly cured someone's everything...

I did see his post and I have to disagree with some of his advice regarding constipation. Indigestible fiber from things such as chia seeds and fiber supps make constipation much worse for many people.