Page 62 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page 62

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wednesday, June 12

Sleep/Energy:
    - 11:30pm-5:45am and in and out of sleep until 7:20am.
    - Could barely keep my eyes open all day with the exception of immediately after lunch. Head bobbing exhaustion. That plus thirst / peeing clear all related??

Food/Hunger/Digestion:
    - B: ~1 1/3 cup yoghurt (more than usual) + maple syrup + mango
    - L: red curry with chicken and zucchini, 2 scoops of rice
    - 1 ginger chew
    - D: 4 baby carrots (they looked good to me) small sweet potato w/ cinnamon, ~65 g goat's milk brie, swig of maple syrup.
    - S: ~1 cup yoghurt + maple syrup
    - Licks off my finger of nut butter cookie batter. My cousin was asked to make a paleo desert for his boss's birthday, so we whipped these sunflower/cashew butter chocolate chip cookies up. By the second batch, the dough was swimming in the oil from the nut butter (the sunflower butter I'm sure). I almost gagged. Needless to say I didn't actually try one when they came out of the oven (but they did smell pretty good).

I was a bit peckish after dinner but nothing urgent. I then calculated that, on the upper end, my day had come out to under 1500 cal. I DON'T UNDERSTAND FOOD. So I had a yoghurt snack.

- BM's were of great quality - 1 after breakfast and lunch!
    - So uncomfortable after lunch. I caused it by eating so much rice - It's dose related for sure, but still.

Thirst:
    Very thirsty today and urinating clear despite drinking salted water. I stopped drinking immediately and ate a large meal instead. I have not really been thirsty or having clear urine up until today, so I dunno what's going on.

Temp:
    Fine / warm despite the thirst and exhaustion.

Supps:
    - gelatin 1 packet - much easier to get down than Great Lakes…
    - Mg 200mg

Brooding on Food:
    So I think on the scale of digestibility, sugar > starch. I shouldn't be eating anything to the point where I'm going to burst, but from my experiences "over eating" both starch and sugar, starch definitely has the most uncomfortable effect (but surprisingly the least ballooning effect….) which leads me to believe that sugar > starch in the digesting area.

Mood:
    Much much much improved despite being exhausted all day. Blame caffeine and cigarettes?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Wednesday, June 12

Sleep/Energy:
    - 11:30pm-5:45am and in and out of sleep until 7:20am.
    - Could barely keep my eyes open all day with the exception of immediately after lunch. Head bobbing exhaustion. That plus thirst / peeing clear all related??
    This evening I happened to mention my BMs to my parents. Posting here makes a person forget that in the real world, polite people don't discuss this... Particularly over dinner. Thanks to my Mum for reminding me

Anyway, Paleomom mentioned recently that a sign of metabolism speeding up was darker urine, passed less frequently. I'm getting the feeling that the fatigue is a sign of metabolism down regulating. Interesting that you're drawing a parallel between them...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    This evening I happened to mention my BMs to my parents. Posting here makes a person forget that in the real world, polite people don't discuss this... Particularly over dinner. Thanks to my Mum for reminding me

Anyway, Paleomom mentioned recently that a sign of metabolism speeding up was darker urine, passed less frequently. I'm getting the feeling that the fatigue is a sign of metabolism down regulating. Interesting that you're drawing a parallel between them...
    My mom and I talk about bowel movements all the time. Especially during dinner. We are not always very polite people, however.

I would love to take credit for noticing this myself, but it's a Stone idea. I'm trying to pay more attention to this plus what makes me feel warm, cold, etc. I've decided to focus more on raising my metabolism because maybe that's been an underlying factor or at least something that's plaguing me a bit. Focusing on my stomach issues by limiting foods obviously hasn't helped, so maybe it's time to take a new approach. I have noticed that I am much warmer since starting to take the higher sugar and salt approach, so maybe it is working.

My mom and I talk about bowel movements all the time. Especially during dinner. We are not always very polite people, however.

I would love to take credit for noticing this myself, but it's a Stone idea. I'm trying to pay more attention to this plus what makes me feel warm, cold, etc. I've decided to focus more on raising my metabolism because maybe that's been an underlying factor or at least something that's plaguing me a bit. Focusing on my stomach issues by limiting foods obviously hasn't helped, so maybe it's time to take a new approach. I have noticed that I am much warmer since starting to take the higher sugar and salt approach, so maybe it is working.
    I'm coming to the same conclusion myself (in sync again, surprise surprise ). I think my problems are metabolic, and I'm driving myself crazy trying to heal using food. I think if your issues originate through diet they might be curable through diet, but in my case I think the seeds were sown a long, long time ago and the origin was stress.

Saying that, I am planning on trying this fast metabolism diet when I get home... <sigh>

I read you saying that about heat and sugar. What popped into my mind was that your diet change coincided with the arrival of summer...? Maybe I'm just jealous though - adding sugar to my diet hasn't helped my body temp at all...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Well tbh I wasn't always the easy breezy (ha! Right..) Batgirl that you know and love today. I suffered from severe anxiety as a child - change scared me so much that I would scream for hours if my mom even changed out of her work clothes into sweats and a t shirt, had panic attacks nightly around the ages of 10-12, and then dealt with depression and more anxiety issues throughout high school. Also me getting sick (with the stomach infection 2 years ago) was smack dab in the middle of an emotional crisis I was going through with an ex who turned out to be extremely emotionally unstable and harassed me for months to the point where I was arguing, yelling, and crying on a daily basis. So I don't know. Perhaps years of chronic emotional stress was in the works manifesting itself into something tangible and that was the straw... Maybe it really is "all in my head" God knows I've tried enough elimination diets to know that is not going to cure me. Maybe I need to approach this on a larger scale. Or just try to keep myself as healthy as I physically can for the rest of my life...

Its a clever thought but I don't think summer has anything to do with it. I'm usually very uncomfortable in warmer temperatures so that alone would not make me feel better. I also don't feel any more or less stressed. Definitely not less stressed. I was actually just thinking that I wish school would start up again already... I'm sorry sugar hasn't been helping you. Are your extremities cold or are you purely talking about your internal temp?

Also I thought you had been looking into Stone. Weren't you reading Eat for Heat? What made you quit that? Sorry it was a while ago I forgetted it :/
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Well tbh I wasn't always the easy breezy (ha! Right..) Batgirl that you know and love today. I suffered from severe anxiety as a child - change scared me so much that I would scream for hours if my mom even changed out of her work clothes into sweats and a t shirt, had panic attacks nightly around the ages of 10-12, and then dealt with depression and more anxiety issues throughout high school. Also me getting sick (with the stomach infection 2 years ago) was smack dab in the middle of an emotional crisis I was going through with an ex who turned out to be extremely emotionally unstable and harassed me for months to the point where I was arguing, yelling, and crying on a daily basis. So I don't know. Perhaps years of chronic emotional stress was in the works manifesting itself into something tangible and that was the straw... Maybe it really is "all in my head" God knows I've tried enough elimination diets to know that is not going to cure me. Maybe I need to approach this on a larger scale. Or just try to keep myself as healthy as I physically can for the rest of my life...

Its a clever thought but I don't think summer has anything to do with it. I'm usually very uncomfortable in warmer temperatures so that alone would not make me feel better. I also don't feel any more or less stressed. Definitely not less stressed. I was actually just thinking that I wish school would start up again already... I'm sorry sugar hasn't been helping you. Are your extremities cold or are you purely talking about your internal temp?

Also I thought you had been looking into Stone. Weren't you reading Eat for Heat? What made you quit that? Sorry it was a while ago I forgetted it :/
    I remember when we very first started talking on here that you mentioned the childhood trauma (another thing we have in common ) However, I don't believe unwellness is "all in your head". Stress has very powerful repercussions in human physiology. And different kinds of stress cause different physical illnesses.

Looking at this larger scale is a good idea. I definitely need to do that, but I don't know what it means really. What other significant changes can we make? Well, I can move to CA, but I don't think it's going to raise my metabolism

Well that's great that you're feeling better in warm temps! That's a great start, and a significant enough change that it indicates you're on the right path. Yeah, I have certain parts of my body that are always cold (tops of arms and middle of bum) and there's no change here. I don't take my internal temp anymore...

I didn't read E4H actually - is it good? I read Diet Recovery.

- Ray Peat

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    ...I see you writing about gas, bloating, and digestive issues -- but I also seeing you eating a bunch of potentially red-flagged, high FODMAP foods. Have you tried a low FODMAP diet??

Your breakfast is a prime example -- yogurt, mango and maple syrup (ms is 'okay', but only in very small amounts)

All three could be problems in themselves, but then combined...well it could be worth looking into...hebs

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I remember when we very first started talking on here that you mentioned the childhood trauma (another thing we have in common ) However, I don't believe unwellness is "all in your head". Stress has very powerful repercussions in human physiology. And different kinds of stress cause different physical illnesses.
    I really do believe that. I was the queen of the "nervous stomach" as a child and well, look where I am now.

Looking at this larger scale is a good idea. I definitely need to do that, but I don't know what it means really. What other significant changes can we make? Well, I can move to CA, but I don't think it's going to raise my metabolism
    I wouldn't ride it off. Moving out of California for me changed my life in a profound way. Don't dismiss the effects of venue.

Well that's great that you're feeling better in warm temps! That's a great start, and a significant enough change that it indicates you're on the right path. Yeah, I have certain parts of my body that are always cold (tops of arms and middle of bum) and there's no change here. I don't take my internal temp anymore...

I didn't read E4H actually - is it good? I read Diet Recovery.
    Those are odd places, haha. I've always had cold fingers and toes so this is quite remarkable and definitely a sign that I (might) be healing in other ways? I didn't read that one in particular but I've read his other books in which he discusses the concepts. Right now I'm just trying to stick with his trinity (plus one) for minimal stress: salt, sugar, starch (well, I have to figure out how much starch I can really take) and saturated fat (I don't really get any fat other than that anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by hebsie View Post
    ...I see you writing about gas, bloating, and digestive issues -- but I also seeing you eating a bunch of potentially red-flagged, high FODMAP foods. Have you tried a low FODMAP diet??

Your breakfast is a prime example -- yogurt, mango and maple syrup (ms is 'okay', but only in very small amounts)

All three could be problems in themselves, but then combined...well it could be worth looking into...hebs
    Hebsie, thank you so much for your input! I was on a zero FODMAP (I mean zero) diet for months and months with minimal success. I actually did find some foods I could not handle (onions for one) but also some high fodmap foods (mangoes) that I handle better than low fodmap foods (oranges).

The most my bloating has ever gone away was when I was eating 1/2 a sweet potato and 5 oz of meat 3 times per day. This, as I found out, was unsustainable. Some of the foods I'm eating now may be problematic for me in some ways, but until I really find out what's going on I'm much healthier eating them.

Zach is offline Banned
    The absolute worst foods for my digestion besides some meats are onion family, turnips, rutabaga, radishes and other ground veggies besides carrots and potatoes.