Page 6 of 138 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page 6

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If possible, get thee to an endocrinologist. Doctors may be hacks when it comes to nutrition, but they can often be decent diagnosticians with the help of blood labs, etc.

If I were you, I would live on grass fed bone broth and supplements for awhile while experimenting with one food at a time to log my body's reaction to it. Disclaimer: That's easy for me to say because I have no food allergies or negative reactions to food that I know of except a gag reflex to scallops.

Keeping this journal will certainly help. If only to keep a record of what foods screw up your life.

I have much faith that you'll find a workable relationship for your sensitive body and food. With any luck at all, you'll heal and be able to eat the crap that the rest of us do with impunity. Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    If possible, get thee to an endocrinologist. Doctors may be hacks when it comes to nutrition, but they can often be decent diagnosticians with the help of blood labs, etc.

If I were you, I would live on grass fed bone broth and supplements for awhile while experimenting with one food at a time to log my body's reaction to it. Disclaimer: That's easy for me to say because I have no food allergies or negative reactions to food that I know of except a gag reflex to scallops.

Keeping this journal will certainly help. If only to keep a record of what foods screw up your life.

I have much faith that you'll find a workable relationship for your sensitive body and food. With any luck at all, you'll heal and be able to eat the crap that the rest of us do with impunity. Good luck!
    Hi Joanie! Thanks for the advice!

I've done so many "start over" diets which is basically what you've described - start with a handful of foods and add one thing back at a time to assess reactions. It's helped me figure out a few things but at this point I don't really think that's the answer. There's something lying way deeper than that.

I had a full thyroid and metabolic panel done yesterday. With any luck something will pop up there, in which case an endo would be my next step.

Thanks for the encouragement! Though I'd hardly call what you guys eat "crap"

firemanswife is offline Junior Member
    Zach has made an important point. I would get tested. I am often in the woods and hiking and I do my utmost to avoid even getting ticks on me with different types of gear repellant. Don't like the stuff on my skin. I have been bitten but I pay attention to the bite and how I am feeling. I have yet to be symptomatic but if I ever am I would get tested and take the proper course of action even if it was erring on the side of caution. I am very sensitive to doxycycline(sp) which is the antibiotic of choice for tick borne diseases but I would suffer through it if I needed to. Lyme Disease if not treated at the time of the bite can present itself off an on for the rest of your life. There is a lot of new knowledge out there in regards to lyme disease and the bites do not always manifest themselves in the classic "bullseye" pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by firemanswife View Post
    Zach has made an important point. I would get tested. I am often in the woods and hiking and I do my utmost to avoid even getting ticks on me with different types of gear repellant. Don't like the stuff on my skin. I have been bitten but I pay attention to the bite and how I am feeling. I have yet to be symptomatic but if I ever am I would get tested and take the proper course of action even if it was erring on the side of caution. I am very sensitive to doxycycline(sp) which is the antibiotic of choice for tick borne diseases but I would suffer through it if I needed to. Lyme Disease if not treated at the time of the bite can present itself off an on for the rest of your life. There is a lot of new knowledge out there in regards to lyme disease and the bites do not always manifest themselves in the classic "bullseye" pattern.
    Thank you for the information - Perhaps I will get tested just in case. I grew up around horses and have seen a few ticks in my day so it's always possible that I was bitten at some point.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=ombat;1171637] What I've read is that they also thrive on ketones (is there anything they don't thrive on?) so my theory was that I starved them into submission for a little while but my ketogenic diet gave them the means to repopulate. Now I have no idea if any of this is true or if I still believe this, it was just my hypothesis at the time.
    QUOTE]

Exactly! The confusion! There are so many variations of the anti-candida diet, the most restricting one would result in ketosis, so I don't know what to do anymore.

I know that apple bloats me and gives me pains, but like you said, not always. So perhaps it is about amounts. It's a whole complex puzzle and there is an excess of information.

I had digestive issues long before any ED too. But the ED doesn't help

Zach is offline Banned
    Apples have pectin which is like fermentable fiber. Fermentable fiber causes bloating in most people.

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Exactly! The confusion! There are so many variations of the anti-candida diet, the most restricting one would result in ketosis, so I don't know what to do anymore.

I know that apple bloats me and gives me pains, but like you said, not always. So perhaps it is about amounts. It's a whole complex puzzle and there is an excess of information.

I had digestive issues long before any ED too. But the ED doesn't help
    Definitely not one-size-fits-all by any means.

The digestive issues/ED thing can become somewhat of a vicious cycle, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Apples have pectin which is like fermentable fiber. Fermentable fiber causes bloating in most people.
    Yes, and Vac, as for "it bloats me some days and not others" you could have more trouble with them on a day in which you've eaten other fruits or veg which you don't agree with. You have to think in terms of whole categories, i.e. fructans, polyols, etc. not just specific foods.

Saturday, April 27

Food/Digestion:
    AM:
    -carrot juice
    - lamb, rice, enzymes (I could tell I was actually hungry and I wasn't going to fight it)
    Late AM
    - chicken, applesauce, enzymes (was still hungry. But now I know I won't be hungry until late evening. I've had days like this)
    Late afternoon:
    - Roasted mate with maple syrup (trying to pick my energy up)
    PM:
    - Sushi: spicy salmon, sashimi, cucumber, ginger, wasabi
    - Chocolate coconut ice cream. (guar gum, rest of ingredients are fine)
    Now (12:30am):
    - More coconut ice cream. Had to make sure I still liked it. Mmm hmm. But actually I was hungry. **Does not seem to induce bloating. Even the second time eating it in one evening...

- A little bloated this morning / throughout the day
    - BMs were not great
    - A bit hungrier today.

Sleep/Energy/Mood:
    - Slept 11:30-6:30 and slept like a log. Finally.
    - Crashed around 1pm after consuming >1/2 my calories for the day in less than 3 hrs… Fell asleep and woke up feeling like shit.
    - Evening energy picked up (at least after my maple mate)
    - Feeling really apathetic for the past few days.

Temp:
    - Waking: 96.7
    - Immediately after my nap I felt like I had a fever and my temp was 98.5
    - Warm extremities for most of the day

Acne/Face:
    - Haven't had any new acne in the last 2 days
    - Existing acne and scabs are healing
    - Skin looks brighter / healthier

Things which have changed since beginning this sugary experiment:
    - Less bloated but not regular despite the magnesium - seem to be alternating C and D
    - I'm never thinking about food.
    - I've been less hungry, but when I do get hungry it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    - My energy is still up and down but it's more extreme. I.e. when I do have a lot of energy I have a lot of energy
    - Sleep is wacky - not sleeping soundly (with the exception of last night)
    - Hands and feet feel warmer (same effect as the "eat more" experiment)
    - I want ice cream. So bad. Actually, just cold foods in general... And I got my ice cream! And it was just as delicious as I imagined it would be…
    Last edited by ombat; 04-28-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Page 6 of 138 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast