Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page 5

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Are headaches unusual for you UmmmBap?

And yeah, if anything a little bit of refined sugar eliminates my cravings and urge to binge
    Since primal it has been! Could have been my "fuck it" picnic feast catching up with me, but I seem to be aaaalll better now.

It's nuts. I couldn't even bring myself to drink my delicious, delicious cantaloupe, cucumber, mint juice (holy crap everyone must try this) this morning because I was just not hungry. I got it down pretty easily by late morning though

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Since primal it has been! Could have been my "fuck it" picnic feast catching up with me, but I seem to be aaaalll better now.
    What kind of sugar are you eating? You've introduced quite a few new foods so it's hard to know what it could be. You could be responding to the dietary change...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Glad you stopped by to enjoy the party!

Some things have definitely helped the bloating (obviously not all, else I wouldn't still be having issues) but the most major development for me was doing a FODMAP diet elimination. I don't know if you've looked into this. There are a lot of resources around the net but I like this one because it only includes paleo foods.

I'm sorry about the candida - I'm not certain I have it but I'm hoping to find out soon... Are you working with anyone to solve it, taking anti fungals, all that jazz? Giving up grains and anything yeasty actually cured my vaginal thrush problems, but I still have these odd, fungal skin issues at times.
    Thanks for the FODMAP link, I'll have a good look at that. I've tried so many treatments for the thrush, spent so much money. I can blitz it with anti-fungals and high strength probiotics for a while but it inevitably comes back. I haven't had any vinegars or mushrooms for 6 months, except last weekend I had mushies for breakfast, and BAM! Back comes the thrush. Which at least shows that my instincts about certain foods were correct. Currently I just use Nilstat for a few days. My GP is talking about aggressive treatments, but I don't like the sound of that and am sure no good can come of them in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    What kind of sugar are you eating? You've introduced quite a few new foods so it's hard to know what it could be. You could be responding to the dietary change...
    I'm sure of it - the day before last I had applesauce with almost every meal, put maple sugar in my tea, etc. But I was a lot more careful about it yesterday and today (almost put syrup in my tea but decided against it) and I haven't had a headache since.

In sugarly related news, I've become a Peatophile. I found this article to be quite interesting. He talks a lot about the metabolic increasing effects of sugar (mainly fructose) and other benefits associate with the consumption of sugar in the absence of a diet containing unsaturated fats... So it might not be sugar's fault after all. I'm lookin' at you, franken-oils...

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Thanks for the FODMAP link, I'll have a good look at that. I've tried so many treatments for the thrush, spent so much money. I can blitz it with anti-fungals and high strength probiotics for a while but it inevitably comes back. I haven't had any vinegars or mushrooms for 6 months, except last weekend I had mushies for breakfast, and BAM! Back comes the thrush. Which at least shows that my instincts about certain foods were correct. Currently I just use Nilstat for a few days. My GP is talking about aggressive treatments, but I don't like the sound of that and am sure no good can come of them in the long run!
    I'm so sorry, that's really rough. What kind of "aggressive" treatments? Have you worked with any alternative medicine doctors? Maybe one that specializes in this? Zach has some things to say about candida. Maybe you can get him to shed some light on your situation.

I have a pretty bad digestive reaction to all things fermented, vinegar-y, and fungal-y. I don't mind staying away from the button and shiitake mushrooms but I still give in to the more "fun" varieties at times... Totally worth it.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry, that's really rough. What kind of "aggressive" treatments? Have you worked with any alternative medicine doctors? Maybe one that specializes in this? Zach has some things to say about candida. Maybe you can get him to shed some light on your situation.

I have a pretty bad digestive reaction to all things fermented, vinegar-y, and fungal-y. I don't mind staying away from the button and shiitake mushrooms but I still give in to the more "fun" varieties at times... Totally worth it.
    I didn't ask what the treatments were, I started doing up my jacket ready to go. I have worked with a naturopath for quite a while, then became pregnant and then pregnant again and it has all be downhill from there. To be honest, all the information, possibilities, and lack of information leave me feeling a bit stranded. The first time I did the Candida diet really strictly with all sorts of herbs and supplements and it seemed to work, but the second time it didn't at all. There seem to be so many opinions. I was born with oral thrush (my mother has chronic vaginal thrush too, as does my sister) and I've had vaginal thrush attacks for 23 years. Usually it's simply irritating and uncomfortable and annoying, but sometimes I can't function from the discomfort. Right now, I'm dealing with trying to just eat a normal primal diet and not worry too much about calories, figures, sugar, fat ratios and starches and whatever else goes on with these forums. I am trying to recover from an ED, so in many ways thrush is the least of my problems. My bloating is sometimes so bad I get asked if I'm pregnant, which mortally offends me, it happens often.

Did you try the FODMAPS elimination? Did you have a paleo dietitian?

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    I didn't ask what the treatments were, I started doing up my jacket ready to go. I have worked with a naturopath for quite a while, then became pregnant and then pregnant again and it has all be downhill from there. To be honest, all the information, possibilities, and lack of information leave me feeling a bit stranded. The first time I did the Candida diet really strictly with all sorts of herbs and supplements and it seemed to work, but the second time it didn't at all. There seem to be so many opinions. I was born with oral thrush (my mother has chronic vaginal thrush too, as does my sister) and I've had vaginal thrush attacks for 23 years. Usually it's simply irritating and uncomfortable and annoying, but sometimes I can't function from the discomfort. Right now, I'm dealing with trying to just eat a normal primal diet and not worry too much about calories, figures, sugar, fat ratios and starches and whatever else goes on with these forums. I am trying to recover from an ED, so in many ways thrush is the least of my problems. My bloating is sometimes so bad I get asked if I'm pregnant, which mortally offends me, it happens often.

Did you try the FODMAPS elimination? Did you have a paleo dietitian?
    That seems to be the thing with candida, from what I've read. They're persistent little bastards and trying to get rid of them only seems to make them angrier and harder to defeat. But your issues seem very deeply seated...

I did do a FODMAPS elimination and it was really enlightening. I still adhere to a low/FODMAP free diet but I find that a bite or two of certain things (mostly certain veggies) are okay while just a bite of other things (stone fruits in particular) will induce pain. What's really interesting is that a lot of things are dose specific, so I can eat a meal with a little very well cooked onion, but if I have that same meal again soon after, pain.

I did work a paleo dietitian. She put me on essentially a VLC diet of meat, fat, spinach, green beans, zucchini, and carrots because supposedly these things are easy to digest. I soon discovered I could not tolerate the carrots (or the zucchini, really), even cooked, so I cut them out. For two months I did great on this (ZC) diet, but, suddenly, with no change on my part, my bloating and discomfort came back full force. This is what led me to believe that I had a problem with candida. What I've read is that they also thrive on ketones (is there anything they don't thrive on?) so my theory was that I starved them into submission for a little while but my ketogenic diet gave them the means to repopulate. Now I have no idea if any of this is true or if I still believe this, it was just my hypothesis at the time.

I hear you on the stomach distention. And society really looks down on teen pregnancy... I feel like I've gotten some odd stares, though that could have been perceived... It was my digestive issues that triggered an ED, not the other way around.

Thursday, April 25

Food/Digestion:
    AM:
    - Roasted yerba mate gelatin. Very interesting…
    - Cup of mate
    LATE AM
    - Cantaloupe, cucumber, mint juice AKA Heavenly Spa Juice.
    - Cinnamon cilantro lamb patties, rice
    LATE DAY:
    - Tuna and eggs cooked in coconut oil, enzymes
    PM:
    - Orange juice (or, eating an orange but spitting out the fibery part), applesauce
    Revelation: Interesting that the juice of an orange doesn't cause discomfort while eating an entire orange does… Is my digestion really THAT fucked up?
    - Bone broth, turkey

- A bit more "regular" this morning.
    - Late afternoon stomach cramping and urgently needing the restroom…
    - Bloat/distention is improved

- A little surprised at my lack of hunger (but not really considering it's that TOM) but it's possible that since I'm eating foods that are so easily digestable I'm getting all the energy I need and therefore don't feel starving? A hopeful thought.

Thirst:
    - Very thirsty the past two days despite getting a lot of water from foods (juice). I'm making sure to get enough sodium.

Sleep/Energy:
    - Slept 12-5:30, in and out of sleep until 7:15
    - Energy crash mid afternoon, picked up really well without a nap, and then fell into a coma around 6:30pm

Temp:
    - Waking: 97.6
    - 5:30pm: 98.1
    - Temp is a bit higher than usual and I didn't feel cold once all day!

Exercise:
    - Very minimal, easy, body weight exercises

Food Anxiety Revelation:
    I think about food a lot. Am I going to be hungry? When am I going to eat? What am I going to eat? Will I still be able to wear this shirt after I eat it? Etc. Today and yesterday the only time I thought about food was when I was eating it. I don't think there's much more to say.

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−-

So tomorrow I must convince the school doc of the test I need. Besides the microbial and pathogen screens and the thyroid panel, should I ask for anything else?
    Last edited by ombat; 04-25-2013 at 09:07 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure of it - the day before last I had applesauce with almost every meal, put maple sugar in my tea, etc. But I was a lot more careful about it yesterday and today (almost put syrup in my tea but decided against it) and I haven't had a headache since.

In sugarly related news, I've become a Peatophile. I found this article to be quite interesting. He talks a lot about the metabolic increasing effects of sugar (mainly fructose) and other benefits associate with the consumption of sugar in the absence of a diet containing unsaturated fats... So it might not be sugar's fault after all. I'm lookin' at you, franken-oils...
    Ha, another conversion

All I can suggest about the headaches is that by consciously tracking your food now you may be in better position to see which foods give which reactions. Headaches can also result from withdrawal from something...

Thursday, April 25

Food/Digestion:
    - Orange juice (or, eating an orange but spitting out the fibery part), applesauce
    Revelation: Interesting that the juice of an orange doesn't cause discomfort while eating an entire orange does… Is my digestion really THAT fucked up?
    Weirdly, I had some OJ yest and it made me blow up like a balloon..! Oranges don't have that kind of effect on me...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-26-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PrimalCon New York
    Friday, April 26

Ok, it's 11pm and I've been out for 12 hrs so this is going to be short.

Sleep/Energy:
    - Slept from ??-7. Had a difficult time falling asleep. My sleep has actually been really wacky since starting this
    - Energy was great. Went on an easy hike in the afternoon, drove to Seattle and back (~2 hrs round trip) for dinner (driving always makes me tired) and I feel fine.

Food/Digestion:
    AM:
    -Carrot Juice
    Late AM:
    - lamb patties, rice w/ coconut oil
    - little grapefruit juice w campari (yeah, yeah, bad Emma, bad.)
    PM:
    - green curry with chicken, bean sprouts, eggplant; rice
    Late PM:
    - pineapple/mango/papaya juice, few spoons maple syrup, handful enjoy life chocolate chips <-- all of this, not only because I was a little hungry, but to try to induce a good night's sleep. Though I may have gone a little overboard...

- No bloat after the juice this morning but I had very loose stools.
    - A little bloat after my next meal but I'm not sure if that was the meal or the campari... i can probably guess.
    - Fine after the thai food
    - End of the day everything's pretty good.
    EDIT: I take it back, my belly did not like my late evening snack.

Temp:
    - Waking: 97.1
    - Wasn't home to take an afternoon temp
    - Spent the entire day outdoors and in short sleeves and felt fine. Upper 60's I think.

More on what's going on in my head + my pretty successful doctor visit. All to come.
    Last edited by ombat; 04-26-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast