Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1379

Thread: Step right up-don’t be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page 2

  1. #11
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    Shop Now
    Monday - April 22

    Slept from 11-6:30. Was exhausted yesterday after my 3.5 hour climb in the mountains. Pretty sleepy today but not too bad. Actually, I only started getting really sleepy once I put on a large jacket and got very warm… Took it off and I almost instantly felt better. Next thing I know, PaleoMom experienced the same thing!

    Food/Digestion: Trying to eat less more often to see if it helps digestion:
    >Bone broth with added gelatin; a little bone marrow and meaty bits.
    >Salmon, rice cakes
    >Chicken and applesauce… Went back for more a bit later.
    >Eggs poached in bone broth, rice, a little sliced turkey (butcher makes it himself. No weird ingredients). Made this a bigger meal because I'm already sick of eating so often, ha. Not going to be able to sustain this….

    I was not nice to my stomach yesterday with the hummus and the milk chocolate (oops did I mention that? I tend to adopt an all or nothing attitude, which I completely accept as being unacceptable) so it's going to take a few days for the bloating to subside, even on this diet. Actually, especially on this diet. Soup belly is real and so uncomfortable.

    Pulse: Sometimes I notice a very high or very low pulse, and it has been pretty high recently. Today I could feel my heart pounding and I had just been sitting on the couch for hours.

    Exercise: Went for a short walk out in the warm, sunny weather. Short because my legs started screaming about 15 minutes out. Guess I was more sore than I realized.

    Other: I haven't been able to stop crying for the last 3 days for no particular reason. It's weird and completely unusual and actually really funny (when I'm not crying). I'm due to get my period…now… but I don't usually experience emotional responses of any kind, just extreme hunger (manifest as binging on sweet potatoes and 100% cocoa and honey which I did last week).

  2. #12
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I'll talk to the doctor about that as well. Would lyme persist for this long? And would markers still be there after 2 years? I don't know anything.

    I never hear the same thing twice about candida. Sugar would be beneficial for fighting against it? How's that?

    What kind of vegetables do you recommend (or fruits that you think won't bother my stomach)?

    I use sea salt at every meal and in my water when I'm particularly thirsty.

    Did I mention "thank you"?

    EDIT: I just read that Lyme is not found in Hawai'i, which is where I caught the illness. And where my avatar picture was taken. I'm not quite that thin anymore, if that's where you're getting the underweight thing from by the way
    Well thats a good thing that it is not lyme! I got the underweight thing from your first post saying you are 100-107lbs? Certainly lean enough to not be worried about sugar.

    I think sugar has gotten the worst rap in the history of nutrition, more so then even saturated fat. Sugar is a vital substance, having plenty of glycogen in both muscles and liver ensures optimal blood sugar, thyroid hormone, brain function, muscle function, energy (ATP), and an oxygenated environment. To be afraid of consuming something this important or to be tricked into thinking that burning fat for fuel and breaking down protein for glycogen is insane. Getting most of your calories from sugar will take a huge burden off of your body and allow it to perform other functions correctly. If you feel bogged down or get crashes, that is not the sugar, that is your inability to process it.

    Sugar does not help fight candida, it feeds it, allowing it to coexist without searching out food and becoming an invasive problem. Trying to starve candida is an exercise in futility because you have to eat sugar in some form, its impossible not to and eating just a tiny amount in an attempt to kill it will just make it send out feelers to find food. This is of course if you have candida at all, many people think they do but it is something else. I dont think its a good idea to try and kill anything thats firmly living in your body. If you succeed, you have something dead inside you. If you fail you usually piss it off and make it worse. Your body is made up of trillions of organisms that arent actually you, its impossible to know what everything does.

    Very ripe tropical fruits would be my first choice. Citrus, grapes, pineapple, melons. Veggies fruits also, cucumber, tomato. Then herbs, cilantro, basil, mint, celery, ginger, tumeric. Also leafy stuff if you like. I usually juice once a day to make around 12oz worth. This alone made my health and digestion much better. Im a big fan of fruit/herb combo.

  3. #13
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Well thats a good thing that it is not lyme! I got the underweight thing from your first post saying you are 100-107lbs? Certainly lean enough to not be worried about sugar.

    I think sugar has gotten the worst rap in the history of nutrition, more so then even saturated fat. Sugar is a vital substance, having plenty of glycogen in both muscles and liver ensures optimal blood sugar, thyroid hormone, brain function, muscle function, energy (ATP), and an oxygenated environment. To be afraid of consuming something this important or to be tricked into thinking that burning fat for fuel and breaking down protein for glycogen is insane. Getting most of your calories from sugar will take a huge burden off of your body and allow it to perform other functions correctly. If you feel bogged down or get crashes, that is not the sugar, that is your inability to process it.

    Sugar does not help fight candida, it feeds it, allowing it to coexist without searching out food and becoming an invasive problem. Trying to starve candida is an exercise in futility because you have to eat sugar in some form, its impossible not to and eating just a tiny amount in an attempt to kill it will just make it send out feelers to find food. This is of course if you have candida at all, many people think they do but it is something else. I dont think its a good idea to try and kill anything thats firmly living in your body. If you succeed, you have something dead inside you. If you fail you usually piss it off and make it worse. Your body is made up of trillions of organisms that arent actually you, its impossible to know what everything does.

    Very ripe tropical fruits would be my first choice. Citrus, grapes, pineapple, melons. Veggies fruits also, cucumber, tomato. Then herbs, cilantro, basil, mint, celery, ginger, tumeric. Also leafy stuff if you like. I usually juice once a day to make around 12oz worth. This alone made my health and digestion much better. Im a big fan of fruit/herb combo.
    Until I gained doing the "eat a ton" thing (or more aptly named, the "eat a ton of coconut" for those of us who were me). I don't think most of it is muscle, either. But I'm not worried... too much I just want to do whatever will make me better. Weight comes off when you're healthy.

    I think it's wrong to antagonize something that is obviously meant for consumption, but don't some forms of sugar have not the greatest effects on the body? Is it false that fructose is hard on your liver, fucks with leptin, etc.?

    That's what I thought, which was why I was confused. Well, in all of the countless whichways and whatways I've heard of to "cure" candida, I'm not sure I've ever heard of one actually working. If you can't beat em, at least don't piss them off. That sounds more reasonable to me than most of the stuff I've heard. Testing for candida is part of the lab work I'm hoping to have done and one of the only things that I'm praying to god that it turns out I don't have. So I don't even want to know anything about it unless I have it.

    What would be your suggestion if I have a bad reaction to the juices? I'm sorry, I mean what would be your suggestion for when I have a bad reaction to the juices? Digestive upsets, detox reactions. Power through it? There seems to be a lot of "things will get worse before they get better" going around in the healing world (like with probiotics..). Or, better yet, how does one discern between that and the fact that they're just getting worse? In what case would sugar actually be doing me more harm than benefit (you say that people have a difficult time processing it)?

  4. #14
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Some people have messed themselves up so bad with low carb, sugar avoidance, high pufa, inflammatory diets that their body can no longer cope with sugar correctly. Then instead of fixing that, they blame carbs and go further down the hole.

    I dont believe something good should ever first be harmful so if you get symptoms with anything then avoid it. That said, sugar is different, just like first going on low carb you will get the carb flu, going high carb will give you energy crashes because you are not good at metabolizing it yet. As for juice, i can only ask you to try raw fresh juice and see how you react.

    My advice is still to try a high sugar, low fat/low meat diet. Get most of your calories from any form of simple sugar that does not upset you and also from fresh juice. Get most of your protein from gelatin and a few eggs, shellfish and very little meat. Take digestive enzymes and drink coffee. Honestly if you are hurting so much just doing what you are doing, what do you have to lose to try something that im guessing you have never tried?

  5. #15
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    You're right, I've never tried this. It's never been suggested to me.

    I'll start with juicing (too much going on tomorrow, so the next day) and let you what happens. I've cut way down on fat recently (eating lean meats mostly) and have upped the carbs anyway (thank you, hormone induced binges), so hopefully I won't be in too poor shape when it comes to energy crashes. I'm already experiencing them anyway..

    P.S. What is your stance on starch as carb source (sweet potatoes and the like)? And coconut water? I have had good reactions to coconut water. There's nothing else in the bottle, just sugar and electrolytes, right?

  6. #16
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Some people have messed themselves up so bad with low carb, sugar avoidance, high pufa, inflammatory diets that their body can no longer cope with sugar correctly. Then instead of fixing that, they blame carbs and go further down the hole.

    I dont believe something good should ever first be harmful so if you get symptoms with anything then avoid it. That said, sugar is different, just like first going on low carb you will get the carb flu, going high carb will give you energy crashes because you are not good at metabolizing it yet. As for juice, i can only ask you to try raw fresh juice and see how you react.

    My advice is still to try a high sugar, low fat/low meat diet. Get most of your calories from any form of simple sugar that does not upset you and also from fresh juice. Get most of your protein from gelatin and a few eggs, shellfish and very little meat. Take digestive enzymes and drink coffee. Honestly if you are hurting so much just doing what you are doing, what do you have to lose to try something that im guessing you have never tried?
    I'm starting to wonder if I fucked myself up from just six months VLC / VHP (very high pufa... you don't even want to know how many nuts I was eating.) Since starting to raise my body temp my libido has come back full throttle, but it's made me realise that I pretty much didn't have any since cutting carbs 12 months ago! And people kept telling me that meat made you virile... Nu-uh. I was definitely much more "amorous" as a veggie!

    I agree with Zach about what to eat. When he was suggesting Peat before I was thinking of the high dairy content, which I know you're not able for. Tbh that's pretty much my diet! I also use loads of coconut milk and bananas. I would take it really, really slowly if I was you. Gradually start to introduce those things. I think part of what has fucked me up is the extremities in what I've done.

    Personally I'm a big fan of coconut water, and starch. I was trying to resist eating white rice because it lacked "nutrient density" but the reality is I love it and it makes me feel good, so why not? Not everything needs to have an impressive profile on paper to be good for you. Look at coconut oil. Not much nutrition in that, but it's a wonder food.

    And yeah, also agree about the carb crashes. When I started "eating a ton" I would crash from just a bit of rice. But quite quickly I could eat more and more and just get good energy from it.

    There's a growing body of people who believe refined sugar is innocuous and Lustig's video is fear mongering propaganda. What opened my eyes was this thread that popped up on MDA last summer: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread59985.html

    The guy we're all quizzing (Danny Roddy) has a blog and is a big endorser of Ray Peat's work. I'd start with that thread and if you're interested you should start to read Peat. He's amazing.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-23-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #17
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    You're right, I've never tried this. It's never been suggested to me.

    I'll start with juicing (too much going on tomorrow, so the next day) and let you what happens. I've cut way down on fat recently (eating lean meats mostly) and have upped the carbs anyway (thank you, hormone induced binges), so hopefully I won't be in too poor shape when it comes to energy crashes. I'm already experiencing them anyway..

    P.S. What is your stance on starch as carb source (sweet potatoes and the like)? And coconut water? I have had good reactions to coconut water. There's nothing else in the bottle, just sugar and electrolytes, right?
    Starch can be both good and bad. The bad is if you are not digesting it correctly then it will cause major bloating and gas, basically its just food for all the bacteria. On the other hand potatoes are great for nutrition. Id advise you to stick with sugar for the first day or two to see how you react and then bring the potatoes back in. White rice is always fine because it his very little fiber so its like pure glucose. If coconut water makes you feel good then drink it! People in the tropics call it natures breast milk and it can be used as a blood transfusion. Its good stuff. My only problem is if you are not in the tropics then the water can be suspect because of the long journey it needs to take.

    I agree with YB to take all these recomendations slowly. Start with a bit of sugar first thing in the morning and any time for start feeling run down. Try replacing a meal with a fresh juice, etc.

    YB, i did the same thing with LC/HP. I was eating tons of nuts, pork, chicken, avocados, avocado oil, flax oil, flax seeds, 10+g fish oil, etc. this was back in the day when you couldnt get enough of the stuff. And ill put my few years of suffering against anyones.

  8. #18
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    Hi guys, I've got a busy day ahead of me but I've read your comments and I'll be back later to reply.

    Off to finish sipping my maple sugar roasted yerba mate

  9. #19
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    I just wanted to share a line from Richfield's body temp book:

    "People with low body temperatures often avoid dressing warmly, because they both keep themselves going and keep themselves warm with adrenaline. If they warm themselves up by other means such as warm clothing, then they shut down their adrenaline supply and crash into chronic fatigue. However, once their body temperature has been reset back up to 98.6oF, they have no problem dressing warmly, because they can keep going just fine at 98.6oF without adrenaline."
    Thought it might be relevant

    Also, I meant to say: in relation to the crying, if you want to PM me to talk about anything then please do. I have the feeling that I'll know where you're coming from. Or if you want to share anything here, do that too Personally I've found being open and bare extremely liberating.

    hugs!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  10. #20
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    YB, i did the same thing with LC/HP. I was eating tons of nuts, pork, chicken, avocados, avocado oil, flax oil, flax seeds, 10+g fish oil, etc. this was back in the day when you couldnt get enough of the stuff. And ill put my few years of suffering against anyones.
    I know - I read that thing you were telling me about on 180 degrees

    I'm speculating on how much damage I did in those six months. I'm guessing I was probably on tenderhooks anyway and this sent me over the edge.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •