Page 123 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1379

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page 123

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome back to the jungle ommy, I've missed you.

Sorry 'bout your energy or the lack thereof, but to tell you the truth adequate or at least something close to it sleep is the key for me. I feel like crap all day if I had only gotten few hours the night before and no amount of coffee can help.

I like your food plan. Yes the minimal food combining is working great for me currently.
    By leaning out, roughly about how many lbs are you looking to lose? Your mid-section the way you describe it, could that be a bloat but not necessarily fat deposits? I know, I know, it sounds like a dumb question.

Okay, I understand Peat is anti probiotics and fermented foods - clean colon and all that, but what is your reasoning for not consuming them? Ha, you've probably explained that a million times already.

I no longer take any, but they were very helpful for my digestion a while back.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Shweet. I will try to hold out with liquids for as long as possible each day, saving food for later, and see how that works out.

How much refined sugar do you eat vs sugar from fruit? I want to lower my cane sugar consumption in favor of more nutrient dense sources like molasses when I'm not getting it from fruit or dairy. Is this a concern?
    Dunno, maybe a half cup of refined sugar total? I use white sugar in my juice and maple syrup and blackstrap in my milk. The blackstrap might give you issues since it is so processed but give it a try anyway. Even a tbs a day goes a long way to getting your minerals in. Also its a good source of calcium if you g e up most dairy. You can add it to your coffee.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think that plan sounds good Ombat - and I think you've got your priorities straight. There's nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight, but I really believe that it won't come off until your energy improves (Well, that was how it was with me).

If you have luck with this I might try it too to help my gut
    You're probably right -sigh- Well you know I'll keep you updated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Welcome back to the jungle ommy, I've missed you.

Sorry 'bout your energy or the lack thereof, but to tell you the truth adequate or at least something close to it sleep is the key for me. I feel like crap all day if I had only gotten few hours the night before and no amount of coffee can help.

I like your food plan. Yes the minimal food combining is working great for me currently.
    By leaning out, roughly about how many lbs are you looking to lose? Your mid-section the way you describe it, could that be a bloat but not necessarily fat deposits? I know, I know, it sounds like a dumb question.

Okay, I understand Peat is anti probiotics and fermented foods - clean colon and all that, but what is your reasoning for not consuming them? Ha, you've probably explained that a million times already.

I no longer take any, but they were very helpful for my digestion a while back.
    Aww thanks I've been thinking about you guys <3

Sleep is really important and I'm one of those people who needs a lot of it, so you're right. But I do notice a distinctive crash after meals at times that seems somewhat unrelated. However my body may be able to handle digestion better if I was more rested in general.

Have you noticed any food combos that are particularly difficult or easy on you?? I don't have very much to lose. I would need to lose about 10lb to get back to where I was pre- EAT. Maybe a little less. So I think exercise is probably going to have to do it. That's not a stupid question haha. I know exactly what bloat vs fat looks like - I used to be 10 lb lighter and twice as bloated. But this is also in my hips, my arms, my upper body. I need to lose a bit of weight everywhere...

I stopped taking them because they were making my bloating worse. But I wonder if they were benefitting me in other ways? I don't really subscribe to Peat's clean colon thing necessarily.

Thank you for all your thoughts <3

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Dunno, maybe a half cup of refined sugar total? I use white sugar in my juice and maple syrup and blackstrap in my milk. The blackstrap might give you issues since it is so processed but give it a try anyway. Even a tbs a day goes a long way to getting your minerals in. Also its a good source of calcium if you g e up most dairy. You can add it to your coffee.
    Blackstrap is more processes than table sugar? Whu?

Oh, I almost forgot about the food I have been eating while on vacation: lots of elk and buffalo, roadside cherries, huckleberry everything: huckleberry ice cream, huckleberry fudge, huckleberry lemonade, huckleberry BBQ sauce (slathered on buffalo spare ribs, omg), huckleberry shrimp (just kidding, Bubba Gump), actual huckleberries which are akin to crack, by the way. Today's breakfast before we got on the road was salmon with orange marmalade and fried duck eggs whose yolks were about the size of a fist and the consistency of molasses. I've been pretty brave with my food choices: cheese on burgers (and other dairy), vegetables, certain fruits, weird sauces and sweets, etc. Some went surprisingly well, others ended quite poorly... I've just gone with it. But after a full summer of being more lenient with eating out, I am done with other people touching my food. It wasn't even a slow progression, I just kind of snapped. I'm ready to resume healing my gut.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you. I don't believe in mistakes in the sense that I believe that we are all meant to be on the path that we are on. But that path can very well include people that try usÖ. And it's part of our destiny, fate, whathaveyou, to figure out how to work with those people. If walking away (even if for a short time) is the right move, then so be it. Doesn't matter if they're blood or not. Like you proved with both of those friends, time and space is something you needed. Of course it is much more complicated with your mother, but hopefully space will help you as well. And you may need to have cycles of closeness and space. Only time will tellÖ.
    Yeah, right now I really need a break from her. I started a thread hoping for some wisdom, and it was quite comforting to read that other people have difficulties too, but I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to mothers no one has it figured out I got the "realise you can't change her, you can only change yourself" thing a few times, which just indicated that they hadn't read my initial post.

Your friend almost sounds like an abusive partner, if not just a very manipulative and somewhat selfish person (I'm sorry). At least you are aware of her MO and can (and should) stay somewhat detached while you enjoy your friendship.
    Unfortunately, in the past I've allowed myself to be privy to these kinds of people and relationships. No more...

You're right. I am an over-sharer, as you all can attest to ;_; It's a terminal condition and something I genuinely need to work on. I think it might be some subconscious need to be validated. But the rest of our time together has been fine. I've been in a great mood regardless of hers (which has actually been very up since we got out of the city). There were some moments where I just could not comprehend her level of stress and agitation over extremely minor things. it made me see a lot of the qualities I used to see in myself but no longer do and it made me remember why I do so well living on my own. I love her and she is an incredible mother, but she is too stressed and it's too much for me to handle. But we have had some really fun times and a bunch of laughs. Interesting to culminate this summer with a trip with her because it magnified the changes I've seen in myself over the last year.
    It sounds like it's been a big year for you, and like I said, maybe this is part of the process of you cutting the chord and becoming your own individuated person. It's actually quite a painful process for both parties, and what I learned from my mum is that it's easy for the chords to grow back. I cut mine in my early twenties, but then in my late twenties they took root again, in another form. So now I'm back at square one, figuring out how to separate myself.

We're on the same page. In the past couple of months I actually have shifted my priorities with energy now situated pretty much at the top. Not too long ago digestion was my main concern and for good reason; Only visiting the restroom once or twice per week did in fact create its own debilitating side effects; I literally felt septic. It lent to the bloating, the fatigue, and I believe acne as well. Now that I'm pretty regular as long as I have coffee and gelatin (and alcohol ;D ) I am shifting focus. The bloat is just obnoxious but, like you said, survivable at certain levels. Before I cut out vegetables and other things that I know to be huge issues for bloat, it was debilitating in a way because I was so uncomfortable I could barely move. I never wanted to go out because I would constantly be pulling at my pants or trying to catch my breath because my diaphragm felt crushed. Now it is much better and just annoying but not so uncomfortable that I can' be out and about and doing things that I love.
    I know girl - I seriously understand how you feel. It feels SO GOOD to finally be able to live my life! When I read your reply to Graycat, I realised that since I started eating like this, I have had no major energy crashes after eating. I've had a few big crashes related to TOM stuff, but not food. The way I'm eating works so well for me in that sense. And exercising really boosts my mood. I bet once you figure out the energy you'll feel a lot better in every regard.
    Of course! In all of this busy-ness (both of us!) recently we have been a bit out of touch and I've felt it :/
    You know, I feel a real obligation to visit people's journals, and I feel guilty if I don't check in. I know this is a pattern with me in my life - always feeling like I need to give more and more, and worrying if I don't, and I really needed a break from it for a few days, which is when I was MIA. Right now I'm posting all the time because I'm working at my desk, trying to get a project finished, and the little snappy posts I make are like 20 second breaks that I need to gather my thoughts from the creative process (if that makes sense).

P.S. I just got back into civilization but I will catch up on your journal as soon as I can! <3
    Ha, don't worry! Nothing of import going on in there Though you may have missed - I'm now seeing the yoga guy He broke up with his girlfriend so we could get together.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Re molasses: It's not that it's more processed, it's just heated very high which might degrade the sugar into something that is allergenic to others. I personally don't get any reaction from it, so, it's all good.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Re molasses: It's not that it's more processed, it's just heated very high which might degrade the sugar into something that is allergenic to others. I personally don't get any reaction from it, so, it's all good.
    Yea sugar is pure, blackstrap is the leftovers. I dont have a prob with it either but with your gut you never kno.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Mental Clarity
    Is of equal if not greater importance to me than physical energy, though they often go hand in hand necessarily. What I notice when I'm clear is a quickness and cleverness with my words and ability to easily patch things together in my mind. When I'm foggy I feel like - and won't this be a hilarious - a caveman. Two factors seem to contribute to a sharper mind for me: more meat and less starch. Not only does starch seem to make me hungry, it also seems to makes me dumb. Some sort of gut flora imbalance may be at play here...
    Probably carnitine.

Starch blows, but it hits the bloodstream really quickly which can cause issues, and it leaves behind undigested particles, which harm digestion, as you said, digestion issues. It can elevate serotonin, and attribute to brain fog this way.

Which leads me to....
    Food:
    I'm willing to give organic milk another try. Cheese and yoghurt are too much for my stomach (the fat? The cultures? Being non-organic / full of hormones?) I only tried milk for 2 or 3 days and was consuming it by mixing it with gelatin, sugar, and cocoa. Evidence has now led me to believe that cocoa powder irritates my stomach (it is a bean, mustn't we forget) , so I've convinced myself that I should at least try milk without the cocoa before I knock it. Right?
    You might try raw, or find something without added vitamins, or keep experimenting. The vehicles used for those vitamins cause a lot of problems. Though, keep in mind, genetics and race plays a large part in how well you're able to handle dairy. We're not equal this way, remember, lactose intolerance is pretty common amongst der Juden. It probably does exist, but, given your track record with starch and stuff, you might have problems just breaking down more complex sugars, so try to drink it alongside a simple sugar(this is the same theory behind those Lactaid products)

My proposed plan for food/beverage is:
    - coffee with sugar and gelatin every morning as I've been doing
    - mostly liquids (milk and juice), fruit, and easily digestible proteins (eggs, fish, gelatin) during the day with minimal food combining.
    - As I require or desire, more digestively taxing foods like red meat and sweet potatoes / more complex food combining at night so the effects won't ruin my day.

Does that sound reasonable? And what have you guys noticed about certain food combinations already?
    I think red meat is less taxing than eggs, egg protein has a weird reaction, and drastically messes with blood sugar cause of it. At least it's feasible to drink alongside juice though. Other than that, it sounds good, but add some oysters.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Have you noticed any food combos that are particularly difficult or easy on you??
    TBH my gut is not one of my problems. I used to have issues with regularity, but probiotics (magnesium too probably), and now lots of fruit took care of that. Very rarely I have pain in my abs area after a protein rich meal.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yea sugar is pure, blackstrap is the leftovers. I dont have a prob with it either but with your gut you never kno.
    So you think I should not even consider it for now?

Probably carnitine.

Starch blows, but it hits the bloodstream really quickly which can cause issues, and it leaves behind undigested particles, which harm digestion, as you said, digestion issues. It can elevate serotonin, and attribute to brain fog this way.
    I didn't know the serotonin bit. I really should be looking into serotonin and gut issues, shouldn't I? Yoyo recommended it recently.

You might try raw, or find something without added vitamins, or keep experimenting. The vehicles used for those vitamins cause a lot of problems. Though, keep in mind, genetics and race plays a large part in how well you're able to handle dairy. We're not equal this way, remember, lactose intolerance is pretty common amongst der Juden. It probably does exist, but, given your track record with starch and stuff, you might have problems just breaking down more complex sugars, so try to drink it alongside a simple sugar(this is the same theory behind those Lactaid products)
    The organic low fat milk I tried did have vitamins added. Is it really a problem? And yes I was and will continue to add simple sugar. What is the mechanism behind that exactly? The more complex sugars get carried along in the simple sugar breakdown process?

I think red meat is less taxing than eggs, egg protein has a weird reaction, and drastically messes with blood sugar cause of it. At least it's feasible to drink alongside juice though. Other than that, it sounds good, but add some oysters.
    The whites, right? I have noticed hypoglycemic symptoms when I eat eggs alone and thought I was crazy until I read a Peat quote about it. And I haven't been able to find oysters in anything but seed oil so I've been eating clams instead. I've also been eating liver 1x per week.

Thanks for all the info, D-Mix. It really helps! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    TBH my gut is not one of my problems. I used to have issues with regularity, but probiotics (magnesium too probably), and now lots of fruit took care of that. Very rarely I have pain in my abs area after a protein rich meal.
    Oh gotcha. What is your reasons behind mono meals then?

Yoyo, I will reply to you when I'm in a place to think <3
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Oh gotcha. What is your reasons behind mono meals then?
    Yoga had that theory / guess (which I concur with) that just one or two ingredient meals help blunt appetite.
    And I'd be lying if I told you I feel like making myself an involved meal for lunch, as crazy as my schedule is sometimes