Page 121 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1379

Thread: Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show page 121

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi Om. Re. random hypoglycemia, maybe it's not as random for me as I thought. Just when I haven't eaten in a long while, which should be kinda normal.

Just came across this article:

10 Things Grad Schools Won

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Some info on how to go into teaching if you don't have a teaching degree:

Teach For America | Home
    Welcome to Teach-Now.org

And of course: U.S. Department of Education which is a very cumbersome website.

Hope there's something that interests you. I've thought of taking my old self and my accounting degree and doing inner city teaching.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the links, guys! I will look into them shortly.

Joanie, that could be very rewarding but very difficult at the same time..

Gray, I don't think hypoglycemia necessarily has to do with how long its been since you've eaten. Because I can be very hungry after not having eaten for 10 hours but not feel like my blood sugar is in the toilet and like I could rip someones head off unless I get a bite to eat. But I can feel that way 2 hours after Ive eaten a fair amount.

Food since my mom has gotten into town has been great because she's a foodie and I end up eating things I never would allow myself on my own, like rosemary and mustard crusted rack of lamb, goat curry with rice and plantains, duck with blackberry jam, crawfish sausage, and oysters in a cream spinach sauce. My digestion has somehow been no worse from it, but I attribute that to all the alcohol thats been accompanying these meals

Tonight we went to Danielle Walker of Against All Grain's book signing at a small bookstore in North Seattle. It was actually pretty touching as she told her story of years of battling ulcerative colitis, being in and out of the hospital getting blood transfusions, being too sick to hold her newborn child, etc. i was never that sick but I teared up a little when she said something about not being able to get up stairs because that was something I experienced at one point. Made me realize how far I've come, even if I do still have issues. She was really sweet, talked to everyone while signing books, etc. and the book itself is absolutely gorgeous (she photographed the entire thing herself as an amateur photographer) and the recipes look delicious. I might even start cooking again.. We'll see
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey my lovely lady Sorry for the radio silence from me lately. I've been really, really busy and... umm... Happy?! I've been connecting a lot with people in the the flesh, and in a way that made me find it dificult to connect with my online friends. Anywya, I'm here now

I won't comment on the career stuff cos you're getting a lot of good advice about that. Re. the hypoglycaemia, I bet you felt like that for a few days because 1) You hadn't eaten in four days, 2) you were eating starches. I'm fully convinced now that starches were a major factor in my ED. I know that sounds crazy, but I think they sent my blood sugar and appetite crazy. I can't get over how distinctly un-hungry I still am, and how easy it is for me to fast. I'm eating like a bird for the most part these days.

How's your energy and stuff?

Big hugs to you <3

ETA: Did you ever consider that your bloating may be gas? I'm starting to think that this is my problem. It would explain the digestive issues, plus why starch makes you retain water in your face, but the rest of the bod is the same.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-20-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey my lovely lady Sorry for the radio silence from me lately. I've been really, really busy and... umm... Happy?! I've been connecting a lot with people in the the flesh, and in a way that made me find it dificult to connect with my online friends. Anywya, I'm here now

I won't comment on the career stuff cos you're getting a lot of good advice about that. Re. the hypoglycaemia, I bet you felt like that for a few days because 1) You hadn't eaten in four days, 2) you were eating starches. I'm fully convinced now that starches were a major factor in my ED. I know that sounds crazy, but I think they sent my blood sugar and appetite crazy. I can't get over how distinctly un-hungry I still am, and how easy it is for me to fast. I'm eating like a bird for the most part these days.

How's your energy and stuff?

Big hugs to you <3
    Hi! *smooches*

Yeah it just seems like things are slowing down here atm. Strolled in after six days I think to find that nothing had really.. happened... besides all the bickering in the Peat threads

That's splendid - I would rather you spending time out in the real world than on the internet anyway.

Starches are the devil (kind of like PUFAs, gluten, and foosball). I keep giving them more chances and they only let me down. I had rice for the first time last night and today with sushi and was starving again about an hour afterwards. Not only blood sugar but I think they give you a phantom fullness by filling you up so quickly... Blargh.

Energy and hunger alike have been pretty cyclical but I'm not concerned about drawing too many connections right now: a fair amount of drugs and very little sleep do not make for stable anything. And I'm on the road with my mom now for the next 1.5 weeks so I wont really have control over my food... I really cant wait to be living in one place again after 3 months of constantly moving around, though I wouldn't have traded any of it . Maybe I'll finally get things under control, though!

You still doing well? I know your appetite is still low.

ETA: Did you ever consider that your bloating may be gas? I'm starting to think that this is my problem. It would explain the digestive issues, plus why starch makes you retain water in your face, but the rest of the bod is the same.
    Yes, I'm still subscribing to the idea that I have a gut flora issue which would cause gas by improper fermentation/digestion. Also by the fact that Ci's belly massages often get rid of some of it... I'm going to experiment with more probiotics once school starts again. Maybe try to figure out how to finally heal myself. I posted something on the Peat thread about fecal transplant....hopefully it won't come to that.

ETA: thinking about going back to a more SCD compliant diet
    Last edited by ombat; 08-20-2013 at 11:43 PM.

I've actually been finding the forum at large an interesting place! I'm enjoying all the relationship threads (that I started ), hormonal discussions, plus the analysis of Peat's work. Just not too interested in my journal.

Where are you going with your mum?? I just spent a few days in Ireland visiting family and friends, and honestly, I just didn't bother eating most of the time. I had some cheese and fruit with me at all times, and I was fine. The way I eat now is so crazy and retractive to most people, and it was actually just easier to say I wasn't hungry, or that I'd already eaten. Irish people in particular live on bread and don't understand any of this "health shite"

Actually, after a few dodgy weeks, I think good things are happening with my digestion! I'm still bloating, but I feel like some kind of transition is being made. Don't know - it seems like such a big area... have you ever looked into the link with serotonin and the gut? I keep meaning to, but then other things sidetrack me (most recently ferritin).

I saw that about the fecal transplant... umm. It scares me! Beware the latest fads? Idk, maybe they work.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I've actually been finding the forum at large an interesting place! I'm enjoying all the relationship threads (that I started ), hormonal discussions, plus the analysis of Peat's work. Just not too interested in my journal.
    Haha! well I hope so... Too funny. I haven't been perusing threads I'm not already participated in so I haven't seen them, but I will look around now.

Where are you going with your mum?? I just spent a few days in Ireland visiting family and friends, and honestly, I just didn't bother eating most of the time. I had some cheese and fruit with me at all times, and I was fine. The way I eat now is so crazy and retractive to most people, and it was actually just easier to say I wasn't hungry, or that I'd already eaten. Irish people in particular live on bread and don't understand any of this "health shite"

Actually, after a few dodgy weeks, I think good things are happening with my digestion! I'm still bloating, but I feel like some kind of transition is being made. Don't know - it seems like such a big area... have you ever looked into the link with serotonin and the gut? I keep meaning to, but then other things sidetrack me (most recently ferritin).
    I hope you had a good time! My mom came up to Seattle for the last week of my internship and then we are heading out tomorrow to Montana for a few days (where we will have NO INTERNET OR CELL SERVICE *pumps fist* to ride horses, go hiking, read books on porches, eat game meats, etc. and then we are coming back through Coeur d'Alene, Idaho spending a few days doing whatever one does in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (actually it's meant to be very pretty and lively there). Mainly it is due to the fact that I left her in May with a wave and a "see you Christmas!" and she decided that wasn't happening... I will say it's been three days and I'm already a bit sick of her. I didn't go home this summer for a reason

Seratonin is not something I have looked into, but I suppose I might as well? I was really hoping this whole summmer of being away so much, never spending nights at home, and always being on the go would have resolved my issues, but I suppose they really aren't in my head... I'm glad that things are turning for you, even if you still have the bloat. One thing at a time, right? I'm in a place right now where digestion and energy are most important to me, and if I'm bloated as all hell that's really frustrating but not as important as the other stuff.

I saw that about the fecal transplant... umm. It scares me! Beware the latest fads? Idk, maybe they work.
    Ahaha... *cough*

No, this is not something I would take lightly. It would be a last resort I'd consider in a year from now (oh god another year? *sobs*). First hand accounts are astonishing, though. People's health turned around almost instantaneously. It really is about gut health.... And as I mentioned in the Peat forum I know exactly who I would ask. Knowing that makes it even harder to stop thinking about it...

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I hope you had a good time! My mom came up to Seattle for the last week of my internship and then we are heading out tomorrow to Montana for a few days (where we will have NO INTERNET OR CELL SERVICE *pumps fist* to ride horses, go hiking, read books on porches, eat game meats, etc. and then we are coming back through Coeur d'Alene, Idaho spending a few days doing whatever one does in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (actually it's meant to be very pretty and lively there). Mainly it is due to the fact that I left her in May with a wave and a "see you Christmas!" and she decided that wasn't happening... I will say it's been three days and I'm already a bit sick of her. I didn't go home this summer for a reason
    It was amazing. I hung out with a load of my male friends who I haven't seen in ages (one of my best male friends was getting married). The only downside was that I got absolutely polluted drunk and barely remember the wedding after party

That trip sounds amazing! I really miss horse riding. I'm surprised your mum is irritating you, since you guys are do close. But hey, that's mothers innit? Speaking of which, my trip to Cali with my mother definitively damaged our relationship. I still can't stand speaking to her on the phone, and we keep fighting when we do. It's like we've regressed five years...

Seratonin is not something I have looked into, but I suppose I might as well? I was really hoping this whole summmer of being away so much, never spending nights at home, and always being on the go would have resolved my issues, but I suppose they really aren't in my head... I'm glad that things are turning for you, even if you still have the bloat. One thing at a time, right? I'm in a place right now where digestion and energy are most important to me, and if I'm bloated as all hell that's really frustrating but not as important as the other stuff.
    If you learn about serotonin please fill me in on everything I should really look into it too, but I have too many other things I want to sort out. I'm actually starting to find the bloat a bit endearing And your issues definitely aren't in your head girl. How's your energy these days? And, not that you care much, but how's the body comp?!

x

- Ray Peat

It was amazing. I hung out with a load of my male friends who I haven't seen in ages (one of my best male friends was getting married). The only downside was that I got absolutely polluted drunk and barely remember the wedding after party

That trip sounds amazing! I really miss horse riding. I'm surprised your mum is irritating you, since you guys are do close. But hey, that's mothers innit? Speaking of which, my trip to Cali with my mother definitively damaged our relationship. I still can't stand speaking to her on the phone, and we keep fighting when we do. It's like we've regressed five years...
    Oh no! Well I'm glad the memories that you do have are good ones

I'm really sorry to hear that. Traveling with another person is very intense because you don't really get a break from them, so if your relationship Wasn't superb to begin with, I can see how it would make things worse. It is still very sad and heartbreaking to feel like a relationship has gone backwards. I'm sorry

Maybe we're too close. She's just pushing my buttons; calling me out on behaviors that I don't even have any more, being very clingy, amongst other things. And this is hard to explain but something can turn her mood very quickly; i.e. she's bouncing around one minute and then the tiniest thing sets her off into full blown anger. She used to have drastic, bi-polar mood swings years ago (10+) when she was going through menopause and I sincerely think that traumatized me. So when she gives into these sudden changes I feel myself start to regress. It's like I completely shut down around her because of past memories. It makes me feel really stupid and weak so I end up getting mad at myself and I wind up just as angry and in a foul mood as she is. So there we are, both angry for no apparent reason, and it doesn't end well.
    Sorry... I've been spilling my guts recently.

If you learn about serotonin please fill me in on everything I should really look into it too, but I have too many other things I want to sort out. I'm actually starting to find the bloat a bit endearing And your issues definitely aren't in your head girl. How's your energy these days? And, not that you care much, but how's the body comp?!

x
    I kind of wish they were in my head :/ My energy is terrible; probably from the starch (or from the lack of drugs that were keeping me going). And I'll admit that I do care about my body comp which is no better or worse. Sometimes I look in the mirror and feel like a cow, but I can just step away from it and forget until the next time I'm in front of a mirror. It's my thighs, man and my upper body just feels mildly broader than it should be. The picture I saw of you recently looked great, btw!

o