Thread: Runners who run HMs and longer - fueling question page

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

Question Runners who run HMs and longer - fueling question

Shop Now
    I've done many HMs, but I'm training for my first one since adopting the Primal WOE. A couple of questions.

1. Do you eat before a long run, and if so, what do you eat and how long before your run?

2. Do you eat anything during your run? If so, what?

3. What do you eat for recovery, or do you just eat when you're hungry?

I know everyone is different, but I'd like to know what works for other people. I've only been Primal for a couple of months. I almost always get less than 100g of carbs per day, usually around 50-70.

I should probably mention that I'm really slow, typically 11-12 mm.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    In the post around this one-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66033.html

I discuss this a little bit and others have posted what they use. I am just a half marathoner though. I have not run longer distances in while so I do not really supplement that much. I do have a Bullet Proof coffee before I run-butter and mct oil. I used to not eat when I got back but I am trying to drop some pounds and add speed so I have started eating after I run now.

There are some other helpful cycling posts that have fuel rec's.

things lately I have used:

organic baby food sweet potatoes in gel pack-there are tons of these out now
    justins maple almond butter in single serving pack
    raisins and macadamias in a baggie in my pocket work pretty well too
    broken up KIND bar in a baggie

I really think training tired and underfed makes for a good race day that you are rested and well fed

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    I also run HMs and have been training for my first one since being primal (since Nov). Not that many changes, usually before long runs i have a shake (berries, kale/spinach, scopp whey protein, maybe a little yogurt) and a coffee. I wait a few hours before running though.

For my longest training runs so far (16km) i've used one Vega gel. Not a huge fan of them but i find it the most natural without having to make my own. I tried coconut water, and water with lime/honey/salt but didn't find it as effective. That's just me though.

Throughout this primal conversion i found that i just can't function on reallylow carb. I am probably around 140-180g carbs/day, mainly through veg, some berries and a little dark choc at night and/or wine. I don't eat that many tubers, unless i'm fueling for a long run the next day or back loading that night.

My training this time around has been more alongthe lines of crossfit endurance so we shall see how it goes! My race is in a few weeks.

fredmull is offline Junior Member
    If you are that slow- zero offense meant- then you should have enough stored BF to get you through any length of run. I much prefer running on an empty stomach, and have done so up to 18 miles, without refueling.
    If you feel you need something to get you through then you could try making your own gels - I've been putting mine in old Buddy Fruit squeeze tubes - for when I do use gels for faster runs. After a run I try to eat a balanced paleo meal.
    Hope this helps.

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member
    I normally eat 1.5 to 2 pounds of chicken or steak a night with a glass or 2 of read wine. 7 days before the race I ditch the alcohol, and begin adding sweet potatoes with the dinner. I transition to 2 sweet potatoes at night as the week goes on while lowering the amount of meat I consume. The night before the race I eat about a pound of chicken and 2 sweet potatoes.

The morning of I eat another sweet potato 2.5 hours before the race with a coffee. I eat a banana about an hour before the race.

Oh yeah, I also consume a lot of water during the week leading up to the race.

I have done 15 miles on an empty stomach before but sweet potatoes definitely help to better my time.

In December I finished a half in 1:28:25 on this diet.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmull View Post
    If you are that slow- zero offense meant- then you should have enough stored BF to get you through any length of run. I much prefer running on an empty stomach, and have done so up to 18 miles, without refueling.
    If you feel you need something to get you through then you could try making your own gels - I've been putting mine in old Buddy Fruit squeeze tubes - for when I do use gels for faster runs. After a run I try to eat a balanced paleo meal.
    Hope this helps.
    No offense taken.

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll try eating something before a long run and just drinking water during and see how that goes.

collie_girl is offline Junior Member
    Hi. I've recently done a full marathon and before my long runs and the race I had an egg and a banana. I can run 18-20km on an empty stomach and not need any fuel during the run. Having said that I haven't got my fuelling during a race sorted yet as found I had stomach issues during some of my marathon training runs and the marathon itself- I ended up resorting to gu chomps for the race as I hadn't worked out what else I could eat without upsetting my stomach.

Thanks Collie Girl. This past Saturday, I had a banana pancake (one small banana, 2 eggs and a tablespoon of arrowroot flour) about an hour before I went out. Did 10 miles (keep in mind it took me over 2 hours), and I felt fine throughout. I took along a couple of Lara Bar bite sized, but didn't need or want them. I used water for hydration (Nathan Intensity pack).

fredmull is offline Junior Member
    Just ran my first marathon on 5/18 in Fargo, ND. I had followed a lower carb plan for most of my runs and felt good about it. I read the PHD suggestion of going zero carb for about three weeks to totally deplete glycogen. Then go high "primal" carb the last three days before the event. I did this and it went pretty well (until the race). I had been doing training runs of between 9:30 and 10:30 min. miles- usually fasted. On race day I lined up with the 9:55 pacer and kept this until about mile 10/12. The sun came out after a cloudy/drizzly morning and the humidity ramped up. At mile 18 I slammed face first into the wall. My pace dropped to about 13:00 min. mile - yes I had to start walking/jogging. I sped up the last mile and ended at a sad 4:47 total. I had made my own goo pack out of molasses/honey/cocoa powder/salt and sucked that down, along with about 6/7 Gu gels and Powerade.

No real moral to this story other than I underestimated my pace and should've gone out slower - as the experts all say! If I'd have kept in my fat-burning range of HR I think I could have shaved 20-30 minutes off of my time. Live and learn.