Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative sources of protein i.e non- meat... page

donnie86 is offline Junior Member

Alternative sources of protein i.e non- meat...

Primal Fuel
    My digestion is still very poor and eating meat for my protein can be quite an exhaustive process. Can someone recommend some alternative sources of protein? I know im going to have to stray a little from the paleo eating to do so, so i want it to be good quality, low inflammation sources. I cant eat grains or gluten for obvious reasons and I was eating nuts but they dont sit well with me at all, presumably also because of the high levels of anti nutrients. A lot of my probelms stem from nuts and Ive felt a lot better since coming off them and although id consider sprouting and fermenting, ill steer clear for now. Im currently thinking:

1) Protein powder. It cant be whey though as im allergic to whey. I also feel sick drinking even a little milk (even raw milk) but seem to be ok with yogurt and cheese. Im guessing it has something to do with the fermentation? Otherwise i could perhaps have a casein shake but i dont wish to develop problems with that, and ive tried rice and pea proteins and they appear to be ok for now. So yeah, i guess a "vegan" shake might be an option.
    2) Yogurt or cheese (fermentation might make it ok for me)
    3) Tempeh (again the fermentation might make it ok for me)

Any other ideas?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Eggs and fish if you can handle them. If yogurt and cheese aren't making you sick, those will work also too.

Here are two links for you to check out: Top 10 Best & Worst Protein Sources (vegetarians take note) | Mark's Daily Apple

Top 10 Foods Highest in Protein (this one isn't primal, so there may be a food or two to ignore)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    I used to use unflavored egg white protein powder and would sneak it in with all kinds of different stuff. That was effective.

I have since learned how to eat 190g of protein a day with out supplementation. It's not easy and requires a lot of prepping and planning on Sundays :P

Toshison is offline Member
    I think you should come up with a strategy to overcome your current issue of having trouble with meat. Hopefully its something you can condition your body to over time.

Non-animal product protein is tricky because most are not concentrated in the same way as meat is in that if you will end up consuming a more plentiful supply of fats and/or carbs along with the protein. So overall caloric intake becomes more of an issue.

You could look into hemp protein. I got a big bag of organic hemp hearts at costco for like $8 bucks and the macro profile is fairly good. Per 30 grams, 13g from fat, 10g from protein. I mix them up with salted pumpkin seeds (which have a similar macro profile) and throw them down as a snack sometimes.

You can also buy hemp protein in shake form as well.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what your kitchen skills are like, but very, very well-cooked meats (stews etc) are generally easier to digest than grilled meats.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Someone else mentioned potato protein in another thread. I think you can buy protein powder made out of potato protein. Potatoes contain all of the essential amino acids, but you'd have to eat like 10 pounds of potatoes a day to get all the protein you need. Potato protein powder, though, that may work.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Chicken and other fowl. I remember when I was pregnant and had a sensitive stomach, I could handle chicken very well.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    My digestion is still very poor and eating meat for my protein can be quite an exhaustive process.
    Can you elaborate?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Heth is offline Member
    Eggs, quark and cottage cheese if you can tolerate them. Chobani yoghurt is much higher in protein than most. I'm a real sucker for haloumi atm. Also, add gelatin powder to meals (it's also nice in cofee/tea and doesn't set), although it doesn't have a very well-rounded amino acid profile it can add some and is probably easier to digest than meat proper. If you can, also try bone broth. I personally go through phases of eating nearly vegetarian, sometimes for months, and it doesn't seem to do me any harm. Ditto the well-cooked meats too - and try small amounts at first mixed with something you like like well cooked favourite veggies. As someone else said the problem with tempeh, nuts, quinoa etc is that the protein is fairly low compared to other macros.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

donnie86 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    Thanks for the great suggestions guys.

RE digestive issues: About 7 years ago i was changing to a more "healthy" diet and started to eat a lot of nuts and whole grains. For about 7 months I had the most excruciating stomach pain and no one could tell me why. Eventually i cut out almonds and the chronic pain went away, but unfortunately Ive never felt well since with many lingering symptoms.

Having narrowed down almonds as being the culprit during a restrictive diet, after about 6-7 weeks I returned to eating what i know now as inflammatory foods in abundance: whole grains (wheat, rice,oats), mixed nuts, dark chocolate, legumes and modest amounts of dairy. I really felt like i wasnt absorbing the foods and always felt hungry. I also had lost a lot of weight.

A few years ago I started taking mineral and vitamin supplements which helped enormously(!) as i was obviously not absorbing nutrients since the almond damage. I think if it took these supplements during the initial restrictive diet stage (straight after removing the almonds), i might have felt a lot better and made continual progress. My body clearly couldnt access the nutrients in the food due to the damage.

About 5 months ago i decided to toggle with my diet again after reading about paleo/primal eating and my health has really started to improve. I cut out grains and dairy 5 months ago and the pain in my body has almost vanished, then 3 months ago i cut out cocoa, and then 2 months ago i cut out nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast