Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused about bodyweight training... page

LittleSparrow is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Confused about bodyweight training...

Primal Fuel
    Okay,here's the problem.I don't have access to a gym so I do bodyweight workouts.I'm not seeing any muscle gains... and I need you to help me understand why!
    1.Firstly, I've been following this workout called Max Capacity Training , which basically is 3x times per week HIIT bodyweight training.And I'm not gaining muscle.Could it be because of the intensity?Because I get reaaaallly tired after this workout.

2.Second...How intense should strength training sessions be?Should I feel exhausted after I finish or should I just feel tired in my muscles?Mark says strength training should be intense.

3.Should I do reps till failure?And how quick should reps be?Should I do them as fast as I can or should I do them slowly?

I'm sorry if it all sounds too stupid.I don't understand a lot of things yet.English is not my first language so sometimes I have trouble understanding information I read..

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You want to gain muscle, but your program is not designed for it.

Can you do more difficult exercises (that's what "intensity" means when relating to strength/muscle-building protocols) without the HIT set-up?

Well...I don't have any weights except a few not-so-heavy dumbbells I've made out of bottles and sand... Maybe doing more reps would make it more intense?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
    Well...I don't have any weights except a few not-so-heavy dumbbells I've made out of bottles and sand... Maybe doing more reps would make it more intense?
    No, more reps is more volume. More weight is more intensity.

Can you do harder versions of your bodyweight exercises? Or buy a weight vest?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    No, more reps is more volume. More weight is more intensity.

Can you do harder versions of your bodyweight exercises? Or buy a weight vest?
    Would a backpack full of rocks be enough equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
    Would a backpack full of rocks be enough equipment?
    Can be hard to load the push-up easily, but that will probably work if you're doing lots of pull-ups and dips. Start with 3 or 5 sets of 5, and add a rock every workout.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Can be hard to load the push-up easily, but that will probably work if you're doing lots of pull-ups and dips. Start with 3 or 5 sets of 5, and add a rock every workout.
    Thank you,you're a big help!I think I understand now what intensity means.I'll try what you said.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of ways to increase intensity, but the main two are to increase the leverage and increase the weight. Increasing weight is easy and clear. Increasing leverage means you do more difficult versions of the same exercise- building from pushups to close/diamond pushups to lever pushups (with one straight arm) to 1-arm pushups.

Increasing the leverage is a very effective way to build strength, but you don't want to do it to failure. More sets of fewer reps will get you there. Bodyweight strength tends to be much slower to build than barbell strength.

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    The below program will help you move to a more intensive version of the bodyweight exercises. Its similar to convict conditioning, but easier to follow IMO. Once you complete six sets or six reps you progress to the next intensity of that excercise.

Fitness 666: Bodyweight 666
    I'll be back

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by renaktcj View Post
    There are a lot of ways to increase intensity
    I am sure of that.Care to share?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast