Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Confused about bodyweight training... page 4

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member

MAhammer is offline Junior Member
    good article and I like the concept. but I am more interested in the concept of using circuit training for strength. does circuit training allow for muscle gains?

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAhammer View Post
    good article and I like the concept. but I am more interested in the concept of using circuit training for strength. does circuit training allow for muscle gains?
    Damn straight. As Oldschhool will no doubt tell you, form, intensity and time under tension are what buildz dem muscles

Also Rich, +1 for "fag rags". So true of the majority of muscle and fitness literature out there.

Drew Baye is offline Junior Member
    A forty minute discussion of the application of high intensity training principles to bodyweight exercises. If you want to make bodyweight exercises harder this will give you a few tips on how to do it, while also making the exercises easier on your joints.

Bodyweight High Intensity Training Discussion and Demonstration - YouTube

interesting video. seems like a similar approach to strength as convict conditioning. but what about training to move fast? dont we need to train fast in order to be fast? this type of training doesnt seem like it would help you be very athletic. and by that i mean being able to do things like sprinting, throwing, jumping, etc. things that require power.

interesting video. seems like a similar approach to strength as convict conditioning. but what about training to move fast? this type of training doesnt seem like it would help you be very athletic. and by that i mean being able to do things like sprinting, throwing, jumping, etc. things that require power.
    dont we need to train fast in order to be fast?
    No not at all !

hey oldschool, what can you show me or tell me to support this?

hey oldschool, what can you show me or tell me to support this?
    Drew Baye has written many articles on this topic, here is one that should explain it a little:

Explosive Training | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Basically a muscle can only contract at a certain speed regardless of how it was created. Speed of movement is more of a learned skill, ie if you want to learn to sprint fast then you should go out onto a track and sprint fast.......doing quick movements in the gym will do nothing to help your sprinting but could likely increase the risk of injury and not promote as good gains as would controlled lifting.
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 01-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Drew Baye is offline Junior Member
    The article was written by Ken Mannie who was the S&C coach at Michigan and published on my site with his permission. I have addressed this elsewhere though:

Q&A: Repetition Speed, Recruitment and Stimulation | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    nice article Drew, have you ever checked out the convict conditioning program? if not it is 6 exercises, all calisthenics, pushups- pullup- squats- bridges- handstand pushups- and leg raises- done at a very controlled tempo of 2-1-2. training for strength not endurance. This would fall in line with what you are talking about for training strength. Do you think CC is a good program? why or why not?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast