Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused about bodyweight training... page 2

LittleSparrow is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJilm View Post
    The below program will help you move to a more intensive version of the bodyweight exercises. Its similar to convict conditioning, but easier to follow IMO. Once you complete six sets or six reps you progress to the next intensity of that excercise.

Fitness 666: Bodyweight 666

" Each workout takes approximately one hour " .No thanks. :/

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
    " Each workout takes approximately one hour " .No thanks. :/
    When it comes down to it, you can dabble. That's what I do. It's your workout, make it what you need it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    When it comes down to it, you can dabble. That's what I do. It's your workout, make it what you need it to be.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean..I want a workout I would enjoy.And 1 hour of exercise isn't exactly what I want.I guess I should keep it intense but short.

dabears is offline Member
    Why don't you have access to a gym?

Your current routine is not suitable for your goals, and you are really making it difficult on yourself. Would finding a way to get under a squat rack be less difficult is the question!

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    Why don't you have access to a gym?

Your current routine is not suitable for your goals, and you are really making it difficult on yourself. Would finding a way to get under a squat rack be less difficult is the question!
    I live in a small city where there's no gym. What about following the Primal Blueprint Fitness?Do you think I could build some muscle that way?

I think you would become a more useful, stronger human and that it is a great program, but if you want to add muscle and size you need to stimulate your central nervous system... which is difficult to do without a heavy barbell.

Muscle + strength (from what you seem to have gotten in this thread) isn't built by high reps, its build by an intense heavy load on the body being pushed for a maximum effort of 1-8 reps (Depending on the weight).

So for the PBF to work you'd need a weight vest that you could progressively add weight to as you grow stronger, forcing the body to adapt and grow. The weight required at first would be what you could complete a maximum of 8 reps with. Your rock idea would work, but I think it would be much more efficient (even safer in case you fell on jagged rocks... that can't be good for your back!) to invest in a weight vest with progressive weights.

As the PBF dictates you can also increase the technicality of the exercises, which also forces an adaption. But a weight vest is critical here for your goal of muscle building / getting stronger. Otherwise you are just using it as exercise to burn calories, not gain strength.

My 2c

I think you would become a more useful, stronger human and that it is a great program, but if you want to add muscle and size you need to stimulate your central nervous system... which is difficult to do without a heavy barbell.

Muscle + strength (from what you seem to have gotten in this thread) isn't built by high reps, its build by an intense heavy load on the body being pushed for a maximum effort of 1-8 reps (Depending on the weight).

So for the PBF to work you'd need a weight vest that you could progressively add weight to as you grow stronger, forcing the body to adapt and grow. The weight required at first would be what you could complete a maximum of 8 reps with. Your rock idea would work, but I think it would be much more efficient (even safer in case you fell on jagged rocks... that can't be good for your back!) to invest in a weight vest with progressive weights.

As the PBF dictates you can also increase the technicality of the exercises, which also forces an adaption. But a weight vest is critical here for your goal of muscle building / getting stronger. Otherwise you are just using it as exercise to burn calories, not gain strength.

My 2c

Ah...I get it now.You made it really clear,actually!Thank you very much for your help.
    Well,honestly,I'm not sure what I should do now...I guess I'll try the primal blueprint and increase the difficulty of the exercises.I'll try to use my 'rock' idea (I know you said it's not good but that's the only thing I can afford now) and maybe even get a weight vest.

Right now I am at 5'3 and 108 lbs. I'm not looking to build HUGE bodybuilder looking muscles.Just enough so I would look "toned" and healthy.

No problem. And you should be able to progress with your current setup, just be careful. Its additional weight, so its good!

And don't worry, you won't suddenly look like a bodybuilder. Those individuals have trained for many many years with dedicated hard work, and also most likely in the 10-12 rep range (which builds more fluid based muscle, the "puffy" look). They also most likely used steroids to achieve their look as well. By staying in the 1-8 rep range you will build hard dense muscle, will absolutely not look like a bodybuilder, and achieve your goal of looking "toned". Women constantly use that word and think they need to do high rep dumbbell based workouts to "spot reduce" fat from the areas they are uncomfortable with, when in reality they need to lift heavy & build strength, and reduce their overall BF%.

I think it would be very beneficial if you checked out this woman's story, and it is relative to this website as she made the switch to paleo as well.

Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
    Last edited by dabears; 04-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Women constantly use that word and think they need to do high rep dumbbell based workouts to "spot reduce" fat from the areas they are uncomfortable with, when in reality they need to lift heavy & build strength, and reduce their overall BF%.
    Let's be honest. It's not the women who create this misconception. It's fitness magazines, personal trainers, and commercial gym equipment manufacturers.

Here's a counterexample that proves the rule (Actually, Men's Journal is head-and-shoulders above Men's Health and the other fag rags):

Everything You Know About Fitness Is a Lie - MensJournal.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^ completely agree with you, I wasn't saying they were the source of the problem... I see the source everyday and it bugs me to no end, but you just have to let it go.

I've also read that article and it is a great one!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast