Thread: Homemade mayo page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Homemade mayo

Primal Fuel
    I've finally succeeded in making homemade mayo. Two whole times in a row! This feat was accomplished on my desk in the library - after hours. Don't bother to ask WHY I was doing THAT THERE. I would love to try using sweet pickle juice (the "no sugar added" kind) as the acid, in place of the lemon juice or vinegar. Would this work? I stopped throwing away my past mayo failures and started turning them into salad dressing instead so nothing would be lost if the mixture didn't emulisfy. Any suggestions before I give this a go? Need to wait for a time when the library is empty, it's hard to hide the sound of a screaming hand blender. I, also, plan to post this over in the Recipe forum. I need to make more today and if it's a "no-go" I can do it the regular way.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if it would work but it sounds like a pretty delicious failure if it doesn't. I love that you're doing this in a library

Good luck! Please report back with the results. I love mayo that has that "Miracle Whip" sort of acidic flavor.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    My wife actually uses our ninja blender on low to make it. She had problems with the emulsifying bit too.... then she realized she was actually adding the oil far too slowly! Yes you gotta go at a slow rate, but she was doing like a drop at a time for hours on end. Now that she has a slow even rate its turned out perfectly several times in a row. As to the pickle juice I have no clue. She uses this recipe Homemade Paleo Mayo Cooking Demo - Everyday Paleo

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    My wife actually uses our ninja blender on low to make it. She had problems with the emulsifying bit too.... then she realized she was actually adding the oil far too slowly! Yes you gotta go at a slow rate, but she was doing like a drop at a time for hours on end. Now that she has a slow even rate its turned out perfectly several times in a row. As to the pickle juice I have no clue. She uses this recipe Homemade Paleo Mayo Cooking Demo - Everyday Paleo
    Thanks for the video and she's right about using non-extra virgin olive oil. I use the light so I don't get a strong olive taste. I also make sure my ingredients are at room temp. I use my stick or hand blender and all ingredients go into a container only slightly bigger that the head of the blender. It's easier to clean and store than the larger Ninja. In yours or anyone's opinion would the pickle juice have enough vinegar to replace the usually added vinegar? Plan on using 1 Tbl.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    If you're still using a blender, you should invest in the immersion stick blender. You can get decent brands for $20-$30. Not only will you be able to make wonderful mayo in seconds, but its a total wiz around the kitchen for tons of other applications. Purred root vegetable soups (carb soup!) is a good one.

Hot tip: add roasted garlic and horseradish before you blend.

Quote Originally Posted by deepglades View Post
    If you're still using a blender, you should invest in the immersion stick blender. You can get decent brands for $20-$30. Not only will you be able to make wonderful mayo in seconds, but its a total wiz around the kitchen for tons of other applications. Purred root vegetable soups (carb soup!) is a good one.

I do use a stick blender. For me it's the only way that's been successful. I make the mayo in the same container that I'm going to store it in, much less cleanup that way.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 04-22-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Also, I've been trying to discover if I can use the immersion or stick blender to make cauliflower mashed potatoes. I think if the cauliflower were well cooked the blender could handle it. Do a lot of cooking around here, outside the church kitchen, and have never set off the smoke alarms. Came close once when trying to make kale chips in the microwave . . . they caught on fire, but then a teacher set a Lean Cusine on fire in her microwave - no fire alarm then either. We are a Christian school attached to a church . . . God must be watching over our stupid mistakes considering we have a very stern, but fair, fire marshal in the city.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    I make a pretty good pureed cauliflower using the stick blender. Steam the cauli till it's falling apart. Mix with some coconut milk, a little bone stock, salt & pepper, roasted garlic, coconut oil, and an apple, and then puree with the immersion blender until it's silky smooth. Tough to screw it up, so experimentation is encouraged. If you use too much liquid then you have cauliflower soup!

If you use too much liquid then you have cauliflower soup!
    That can also be a good thing! However, I had Shepard's pie in mind. Do you just sort of tilt the blender as you move it around the cauliflower or lift it up and down while moving it side to side. It wouldn't keep "sucking" the cauliflower in like it does with soup or liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I've finally succeeded in making homemade mayo. Two whole times in a row! This feat was accomplished on my desk in the library - after hours. Don't bother to ask WHY I was doing THAT THERE. I would love to try using sweet pickle juice (the "no sugar added" kind) as the acid, in place of the lemon juice or vinegar. Would this work? I stopped throwing away my past mayo failures and started turning them into salad dressing instead so nothing would be lost if the mixture didn't emulisfy. Any suggestions before I give this a go? Need to wait for a time when the library is empty, it's hard to hide the sound of a screaming hand blender. I, also, plan to post this over in the Recipe forum. I need to make more today and if it's a "no-go" I can do it the regular way.
    To answer my own question, I gave the pickle juice a try, replacing the 1 TBL of vinegar or lemon juice with the pickle juice. It emulisfied perfectly and tasted good - with a slightly sweet flavor. In a world where people either hate Miracle Whip and love mayo or the reverse, I love both and use each according to what I'm using it on. I did add a teaspoon of mustard and some salt . Since I let the ingredients come to near room temp before starting to blend I know it will taste even better after it's chilled.