Thread: Should I even be concerned with calories in calories out? page

Hux
    Hux is offline Junior Member

Should I even be concerned with calories in calories out?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey everyone

I've been looking at my macronutrient tracker and found something curious. I've been getting about 100 gams of carbs a day since I started tracking my macronutrients last week. But then I say that about 20 of those are from fiber which is indigestible. So I'm really only at about 80 or lower carbs for the day, which should be low enough to put me into ketosis.

If that's the case, do I really need to worry about the number of calories I take in of fat and protein? I remember vaguely seeing Gary Taubes talk about a calorie unrestricted diet, but I couldn't find the video again. Do you all think about callories or just carbs/grains?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    80g of carbs a day might not be low enough to put you into ketosis. If there is some reason you want to know if you are in ketosis or want to be in ketosis, you should get yourself some ketostix at Walmart or the drugstore.

The total number of calories a day you consume can put you over your limit even if you keep your carbs low.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    It's hard for some to overeat on low-carb clean Primal. If you're lucky? enough to be one of these people, then don't count.

If you're trying hard to lose or gain weight, it might make sense to at least get a numerical sense of what you're putting in.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't think about anything. I just be sure that have some dead animal on the plate and let everything else fall into place

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Do you all think about callories or just carbs/grains?
    Neither. i just plan meals with unrefined flora and fauna, and not too frequently (maybe 10-12 meals/week). In my experience the "CO" portion of CICO is basically trolling us 24/7 by adjusting pulse and body temp so I lost all interest in tracking it.

"Calorie unrestricted diet" is problematic because two people could interpret it very differently and get different results. The defects in a person's diet are a complex tangle of malnourishment and social/environmental cues so it's hard to make blanket prescriptions.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    In my experience the "CO" portion of CICO is basically trolling us
    Ha ha. Well put.