Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Oz to talk about Paleo Diet page

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member

Dr. Oz to talk about Paleo Diet

Primal Fuel
    Who thinks this is going to be a bad thing???

Today on The Dr. Oz Show, Dr. Oz is going to feature Dr. Loren Cordain, a gal named Maria (can't remember her last name) who suffered from and overcame her MS with the paleo diet and Christina Lianos, co-author of The Paleo Miracle (Amazon.com: The Paleo Miracle: 50 Real Stories of Health Transformation (9781480286344): Joseph Salama, Christina Lianos: Books).

I don't know if this is going to be good for Paleo/Primal or if it'll be detrimental.

Here is what Dr. Oz has already put out on it:

Paleo Diet Craze: Does It Work? | The Dr. Oz Show

Paleo Diet Playbook | The Dr. Oz Show

Catch me on the Dr. Oz show!

I don't know... I'm apprehensive. I'm not a fan of Dr. Oz b/c I think he's a trend chaser and only endorses things for a dollar instead of endorsing things b/c he truly believes in them. I am fearful of what will come of our lifestyle by his airing about the Paleo diet. Maybe it'll be good. Maybe a good majority of those who see the show will try it and end up embracing it. What I expect to happen though is that too many people will be turned off by the restrictions, disbelieve b/c of the lofty claims (that are all too often true) about lowering blood pressure, ending heart disease, starving cancer, etc, and will discredit it based on that. I expect that some will give it a half hearted effort and will become discouraged when weight loss doesn't happen after they claim on the show that someone can lose 75 lbs in 6 months because instead of eating until full, they eat and eat and eat b/c all of a sudden calories don't matter. I expect that people will decide they're bored or it's too hard or too time consuming and will go back to boxed "just add water" meals. I'm afraid it will become commercialized with "Paleo" convenience foods and will ultimately go the way of the Atkins Diet and will lose credit.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But it seems like whenever Dr. Oz jumps on board with something, it gains a ton of popularity for a while, only to crash and burn and be kicked aside as a failed endeavor. I hope I'm wrong and I hope it becomes more mainstream and people start paying attention to what they're eating as a result of this show. I hope they'll pay attention to what's in their food and how it's being produced. And I hope they start to make the changes necessary to improve their health.

What do you think? Is Dr. Oz going to be a good thing or a bad thing for our lifestyle?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Jenn. I'll be sure to set my DVR.

I too, am a bit apprehensive about it. But I'm hoping because Paleo is mentioned on his show, along with one of the top authorities on the subject (Dr. Cordain), maybe people will actually look into it and try it. As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    Last edited by Huarache Gal; 04-22-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Jeri is online now Member
    I'm am thinking like you, it probably won't be good. I will be working and cannot watch, keep me updated.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Set to record, thanks for the heads up. Will be interesting either way. I don't expect it will make much difference. People know by now that he has something different on every day. Would be nice if some tried and found it good for them.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I know it works for me, so honestly, if a bunch of trend trackers try it and fail, I really don't care. LOL< that said, so help me, if there is a rush on Kerrygold and grassfed beef, I will cry.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    And next day he'll have some tofu-eating vegan touting a book.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I know it works for me, so honestly, if a bunch of trend trackers try it and fail, I really don't care. LOL< that said, so help me, if there is a rush on Kerrygold and grassfed beef, I will cry.
    If you have any HyVee stores in your area and do the fuel saver thing, they have KG on fuel saver this week (buy KG, get 2 cents off per gallon for each brick you buy). That alone made me stock up.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Is this a rerun? Didn't he already do this or am I thinking of somebody else he had on his show?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Who cares? It works for me and that is good enough.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I don't see how anything he has to say will impact me one way or the other, honestly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast