Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to take camping??? page

sofiawahaj Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

We are going car camping this weekend with the kids. I am trying to figure out what to bring (to eat). Portable foods are often the processed carb stuff that I use to eat in my prior life (ie, a few weeks ago). Beef jerky and nuts are obvious choices. But what else?

Don't you take a cooler full of ice? Depends on how long you are going to be out in the wilderness and how far more 'ice stores' are.

For me, I brink loads of steaks, fish, pre-chopped veggies and fruit and just put them all on ice until cooking time.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Having just returned from a camping trip here is my experience.

We took a cooler and had to fill it up everyday sometimes twice with ice because of the heat.

Our go to meal was smoked sausage, and included nuts, some primal energy balls/bars, some fruits and veggies that we used on the first or second day. Some fruits/veggies are hearty enough to keep without cooling like peaches, apples, citrus, cucumbers, squash, etc.

Our friend brought some powdered eggs which weren't so bad. And I understand that pastured, farm eggs keep without refrigeration.

That is true, eggs are a lot more 'stable' than people think, especially the free-range/ farm eggs.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

We're going camping this weekend! We have a tent and a cooler also. I made beef jerky, trail mix consisting of almonds/walnuts/pecans/dried cinnamon apples...and we have a propane grill and stove and a dutch oven, and we cook some meals directly in the coals wrapped in foil. So we're taking ground beef, chicken, eggs, bacon, peppers/onion/garlic/mushrooms for the ground beef, tomato/onion/lettuce for lettuce wrap bacon chicken "sandwiches"...and fishing for Saturday dinner, and having a primal strawberry "dumpling" (made with almond flour) dessert cooked in the dutch oven in the coals of the fire Super excited! We aren't snacking as much anymore, so the trail mix and beef jerky will be our only snack-y foods.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

grandma is offline Member

I will often freeze meat when going camping and it lasts quite long. But if you are just going for a weekend, then not need for that. Just keep the cooler closed. B&E and camping coffee are the main reason I go camping

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

PrimalCanuck is offline Junior Member

I'm more curious about what to do for backpacking. I haven't done as many trips as usual this summer, but I will going into the fall and winter, and the old standbys of oatmeal, rice, and instant mashed potatoes are less attractive than they once were.

Nuts and some dried fruit is fine, and fresh or hardboiled eggs keep well, but I've been thinking more about the original travelling food of north america - pemmican! I'll get an experimental batch together when I get my quarter of grass fed beef at the end of the month.

Any experiences with backpacking and pemmican?

Alternatives?

sofiawahaj Guest

Hanna - your camping menu sounds awesome! And I really like your trail mix with the dried apples. I am gonna try that.

And good to know that raw organic eggs will keep!

And I just learned something new: Pemmican! I never even heard of it before, but just googled it. So are you gonna make it yourself? It sounds like trail mix but with jerky thrown in. I don't quite understand how the fat gets in there?

Thanks for all the great info guys/gals!

Mick Guest

It seems the fat used was often marrow fat. You just pounded the dried meat right down, then stirred in the fat in.

Information here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=kFOw3koWpJ0C

Page 229 onwards.

The explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson is quite famous for his investigations into it, and into Eskimo and Indian diets in general. It's said that pemmican is the only concentrated food that's ever been invented on which a man can do heavy work every day over several months without falling sick.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Just a note worth mentioning... stay away from powdered eggs. They contain oxidized cholesterol which is the real cause of heart disease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast