Thread: Weight loss surgery and going primal page

blondie0216 is offline Junior Member

Weight loss surgery and going primal

Primal Fuel
    I cant seem to find any info on this subject so any help would be appreciated.

I had wls a little over 4 years ago and started the primal blueprint in January of this year. Believe me, I wish I would have found this before wls.
    Anyways I am trying to get in the right nutrients etc on primal but find that due to my small pouch I cant eat as much as may be required. Also for absorption those with wls have issues and do require more vitamins especially calcium and minerals. I also absorb citrates the best from supplements.

I have been successful so far following primal but am concerned because I can do the fasting but cannot eat my calories required for the day. I also wanted to do the up/down calorie thing but was wondering if it is okay to have more meals on the up day to get in the calories or should it just be three.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!!

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    This might be useful: Paleo and Gastric Bypass Surgery: Do They Mix? ? Paleo/NonPaleo

Maybe also try sticking to the most nutrient dense foods? Plenty of red meat, organ meat and fewer leafy veggies which will take up stomach space without providing a lot of calories.
    Last edited by upupandaway; 04-22-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Thank you. I am going to check that out. I do try to do the dense foods first but don't eat organ meats.
    I know how good they are for us but due to the surgery I am unable to properly digest them. I don't know why.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    If I remember correctly, the interviewee in that post offers nutrition consulting - maybe you can contact her and get some expert help?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Is the difficulty the 2 or 3 large meals versus lots of small ones?

I think the biggest value from Primal and Paleo is the foods you eat, not from timing or fasting or whatnot. Can you break up your meat and veggies into smaller meals and eat more frequently?

I do believe the reason most of us lose weight is because we ditch the filler foods. We enjoy health because we focus on nutritious foods. Whether you eat one big meal a day or 6 small meals a day isn't a huge factor.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Is the difficulty the 2 or 3 large meals versus lots of small ones?

I think the biggest value from Primal and Paleo is the foods you eat, not from timing or fasting or whatnot. Can you break up your meat and veggies into smaller meals and eat more frequently?

I do believe the reason most of us lose weight is because we ditch the filler foods. We enjoy health because we focus on nutritious foods. Whether you eat one big meal a day or 6 small meals a day isn't a huge factor.
    +1

Because you can eat so little at a time I absolutely would not try to fast. It's not necessary for most people and I can't see any way it would be helpful to you since it would be so difficult to fit all the calories you need into a compressed eating window.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, OP seems to be confusing Primal eating with IF or ADF--neither is essential. Primal is about what you eat, not how much or how often. My sister has had WLS, so I'm somewhat familiar with the restrictions, and there's no reason why someone who is at least 6 months out from surgery (thoroughly healed) can't eat Primally.

Thank you everyone for your input. I do appreciate it. I have read the primal blueprint and do understand what IF is and have done it but havent been able to get in the daily calories.

I will focus on just the primal eating and try to not focus on how much or how often. It is a hard mindset to change especially with the "rules" given with wls in regards to how much and how often to eat. Calories and protein numbers were also very important to watch.