Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inflammation-Acne Connection page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Inflammation-Acne Connection

Primal Fuel
    Is there a connection between acne and inflammation? My skin only seems to periodically stay unbroken out... i dont undertsand it. i dont know besides my sprained MCL why there would be inflammation in me. i eat high fat, prolly high protein and moderate carb

can to much protein trigger inflammation?
    can certain spices?

i cant figure out why my skin wont stay clear, any help?

...answering more in my own thread..

Propionibacterium acne's is an anaerobic bacterium and is a normal flora of the skin; it is present in acne lesions. It has been suggested that while this bacteria is present in the skin of all individuals, it does not produce acne vulgaris in everyone; the reason for this is that people show varying hypersensitivity to the bacterium.

In individuals who are hypersensitive, the presence of P. acne's promotes inflammation through different mechanisms. Inflammation triggers the production of chemical mediators including IL-2α (Interleukin 2-alpha) which induces follicular epidermal hyper proliferation and comedone formation- an acne lesion.
    All the factors mentioned above happen to be internal in origin

and i keep reading about the zinc connection to acne...does this hold water??? i do now that i think of it, possibly have clearer skin after livers...???

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, yes, 100% inflammation. It doesn't always have to be from the same source. Could be omega 6, massive insulin spike/glycation, auto-immunity, something poisonous (hippie juju magic detoxes, blarg). Since eating like I do now I'm completely clear.

Zinc is important for skin healing and various nutrient shortages will exacerbate inflammation and impede the immune system and general healing so that's my suspicion about people with tons of acne taking zinc and getting a bit better. If anyone isn't getting all of their nutrients as best they can they should definitely tackle that first.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

yikes... i would take a vita-mineral supplement but i seriously cant be convinced i dont pee it all out....

periquin is offline Senior Member
    You might try something for about a month----The Phase One diet of Doug Kaufmann:

• Grass fed beef, chicken, fish
    • Eggs
    • Nuts, except pistachios and peanuts
    • Vegetables, but no corn, potatoes or mushrooms
    • Carrot juices w/other veggies, water, herbal teas (not fruit teas)
    • Green apples, berries, grapefruit, lemon, lime, avocados
    • Plain yogurt, real butter

There is nothing here non-primal except perhaps the yogurt and real butter, which just about everyone here seems to use anyway.

If you see a change, then "force" your medico to help you eliminate fungus from your system.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with stored toxins that are released when your body releases fat? I have had one massive breakout after my initial loss, and then nothing (as long as I stay on the straight and narrow). I haven't lost weight since then...and my face has stayed pretty clear, unless there's hormonal stuff going on. Even then, it's a lot better than it used to be.

well my body is NOT releasing any fat as i am gaining weight b/c i need to lol.... sooo.... hormonal stuff is most likely going on, at least i HOPE SO!!

periquin... mushrooms is my favorite veggie!!!!!!!!!! oh noooo....haha theyre gone... i do use yogurt and cultured butter so always good- cannot afford grassfed and dont have freezer room... ill try and stick to lean meat with good fats maybe? eggs i get are picked off the ground at the farm by yours truely! i eat a LOT of them

soo is there any coconut in this... ive taken a lot of likin to coconut milk

any suggestions on herbal tea i have never had any

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Whoops! Well, that's what happens when you assume!

I love herbal teas- some of my faves in the rotation are peppermint, lemon zinger, Zen Passion Tea, and licorice. The first two are on the "zippy" side, and the second two are naturally pretty sweet. I haven't tried it with licorice, but the rest are delicious when iced.

A.M. Roots is offline Member
    I have irritable skin and haven't quite figured it out yet. I hear all about dairy being a cause but I've had full fat quality dairy in my diet and my skin looks better than ever right now but I do believe there is plenty of truth in dairy effecting overactive sebacious glands, however, I'm not entirely sold it's my issue. It's been about 6 wks. since eliminating grains and all gluten from my diet. I have a feeling that over this amount of time any gluten allergy may have calmed down thus helping skin inflammation, just a guess. Sugar was never an issue other than fruit so rule that out as well. Also I've cut back on nuts, not completely, but still that and supplementing omega 3's could maybe support the omega 6 theory.
    When I am due for my cycle I will certainly get a breakout somewhere yet hopefully that will improve. One of my health issues that I have no answer for is periodic chronic pain and fatigue, increased appetite and some acne throughout the month that I contribute to hormonal dips related to my menstrual cycle. My gyn at one point had me on contraception to keep me even throughout the month but I felt gross and couldn't continue to treat it that way. When I weigh less it's better, I need to lose some currently. Perhaps if you gain the healthy weight needed to achieve your set point it will be balanced out.
    I also find frequent workouts that cause me to sweat a decent amount seem to "clean out my pores". I run a few days a week and think it helps.
    Ive been moisturizing with herbal lotions (lavender) and coconut oil and it's soothing for the skin. Definitely don't overwash.

I also wanted to add to this spiel that everyday I consume two to three sprigs of fresh rosemarry and thyme (have been for 4wks). I cook them into everything and throw them in my salads. . .I have no idea if this helps but I never underestimate the power of herbs. I only addressed all my lifestyle behaviors because the difference in my skin in the last couple of weeks is impressive.
    Last edited by A.M. Roots; 05-10-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add info

venam is offline Member
    I recommend you look into candida. This site was really helpful for me:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/candida/index.php

The diet is paleo minus the fruits/tubers/mushroom (meats, vegetables, coconut oil, and some nuts). You don't have to stay on it forever, after you are healed you can bring the other foods back (e.g. now I eat tubers and fruits).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast