Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to use barbells but I want to get strong. page 7

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I train BJJ several times a week, so I'm "accidentally" following this advice (there's no better mobility/flexibility training I'm aware of), but still wonder how one could lose the ability to move through a full range of motion by doing compound barbell lifts over a full range of motion.
    Are you really not aware of a better mobility/flexibility training than BJJ?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Why don't you ask your "brother in arms" RichMahogany about that? He's argument seem that if it's only full range motion then everything is well, which it's not (Cf. post 51).
    It's like you take one sentence from a paragraph, then attach your own made up sentences to it, call it Rich's argument, and then fight against it.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Are you really not aware of a better mobility/flexibility training than BJJ?
    Enlighten me.

Enlighten me.
    I won't. I will say I trained bjj for a short while at two different schools and there was never an emphasis in increasing mobility or flexibility.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Of course you're right, but Gorbag likes to find way to contradict every single thing I post, regardless of how much straw he's already used up. He's got some weird man-crush on me. It's understandable.
    Hey, you seemed to be asking a question that I answered, so you are not wonder about it anymore? Of course you can lessen your ability to move, also by doing full range movement with barbells. And I also explained the reasons for that...

(...)but still wonder how one could lose the ability to move through a full range of motion by doing compound barbell lifts over a full range of motion.

Hey, you seemed to be asking a question that I answered, so you are not wonder about it anymore? Of course you can lessen your ability to move, also by doing full range movement with barbells. And I also explained the reasons for that...
    I was asking you to back up your wild claim. Of course the barbell bench press is the least "compound" and least "full-ROM" example you could have chosen. Tell me what happens if I squat just below parallel without training the antagonist muscles. My question remains how this could possibly disqualify me from being able to bend down. Or how deadlifting will shorten the muscles I need to pick something up off the floor. Or how I'll ruin my mobility doing the standing press.

I won't. I will say I trained bjj for a short while at two different schools and there was never an emphasis in increasing mobility or flexibility.
    Sure there was. You just didn't recognize it. It came after the instructional portion of the class, and was called "training" or "rolling."

Sure there was. You just didn't recognize it. It came after the instructional portion of the class, and was called "training" or "rolling."
    I want you to continue living in a world where rolling is the most effective way to improve your mobility and flexibility.

I want you to continue living in a world where rolling is the most effective way to improve your mobility and flexibility.
    Thanks for sparing me the loss of innocence and utter misery that would come by telling me what would be better...

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I was asking you to back up your wild claim. Of course the barbell bench press is the least "compound" and least "full-ROM" example you could have chosen. Tell me what happens if I squat just below parallel without training the antagonist muscles. My question remains how this could possibly disqualify me from being able to bend down. Or how deadlifting will shorten the muscles I need to pick something up off the floor. Or how I'll ruin my mobility doing the standing press.
    Well, in your original posting you talked about doing compound barbell lifts, not only squats and deadlift. In the latters they fortunately both supplement each others, but muscular imbalances happens although, also in advanced lifters. In the case of standing press(military press, press behind neck, push press) you can also get some of the same issues as in bench if not taking care before it gets a problem. Full ROM movements are not enough, and it get often worse when more specialiced and advanced...

Well, in your original posting you talked about doing compound barbell lifts, not only squats and deadlift. In the latters they fortunately both supplement each others, but muscular imbalances happens although, also in advanced lifters. In the case of standing press(military press, press behind neck, push press) you can also get some of the same issues as in bench if not taking care before it gets a problem. Full ROM movements are not enough, and it get often worse when more specialiced and advanced...
    How's the weather in Ecuador today? New Jersey is lovely.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast