Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't want to use barbells but I want to get strong. page 3

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for the responses guys

In regards to not wanting to use barbells. Is it that hard to comprehend? I don't want to use them!!!!! I workout at home, in a small flat. I cant afford, not, fit barbell sets and I don't want to go to a gym. In the future, sure, maybe I shall head on to the squat rack but for now, I'm more interested in strength and MUSCLE gains (because im an 18yo vein sonofabit!%) that I can achieve with stuff other then barbells. HEAVY kettlebells and sandbags seem like a good alternative, and in any case, will give me enough to achieve a healthy amount of strength, more then most anyhow. Correct?

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Yeah but barbells are the way to add muscle, dood.

And you already know from experience doing some pushups doesn't do anything in the way of muscle.

Idea --> You could try "lots of work in little time" philosophy of muscle building. Eight sets of pushups, only 30 seconds between sets. Eight sets of pullups, only 30 seconds between sets. Eight sets of dips, only 30 seconds between sets. And only 1 minute break between exercises. That might build some muscle! It will most likely be a lean sort of look rather than a hulk.

Personally I think dips, pullups, pushups are more fun than barbells, but not more effective for getting muscle.

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I was thinking on getting a weight vest.
    I'm not saying barbells aren't effective, and they probably are, but like I said several times. I'm not interested, and there not really within my grasp so for the moment I cant do it.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Are barbells the most efficient way to build strength for most people? Probably. Are they a necessity? Absolutely not. If your training option has the flexibility and options to progress the load and/or leverage applied then you can improve your strength and build muscle.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post

In regards to not wanting to use barbells. Is it that hard to comprehend? I don't want to use them!!!!! I workout at home, in a small flat. I cant afford, not, fit barbell sets and I don't want to go to a gym. In the future, sure, maybe I shall head on to the squat rack but for now, I'm more interested in strength and MUSCLE gains (because im an 18yo vein sonofabit!%) that I can achieve with stuff other then barbells. HEAVY kettlebells and sandbags seem like a good alternative, and in any case, will give me enough to achieve a healthy amount of strength, more then most anyhow. Correct?
    so do heavy kettlebells and sandbags grow on trees? since they are so "cool" now, and every idiot wants them, kettlebells are probably the single most overpriced pieces of fitness equipment you can buy. you're 10x as likely to find barbell and set of plates on craigslist or in your classified ads for a few bucks. buying or even making a decent set of sandbags or adjustable sandbags will cost you a decent amount as well. and the return for your investment won't be the same. if you want to grow muscle, lift heavy weights. in most places, you can but a barbell and 250lbs of plates for $99. a 50lb kettlebell is typically $75 to $100. if you are interested in strength and muscle gains, lift a barbell. if you don't want to take reasonable, intelligent advice when you ask a question, life is going to be hard for you
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You're welcome

HEAVY kettlebells and sandbags seem like a good alternative, and in any case, will give me enough to achieve a healthy amount of strength, more then most anyhow. Correct?
    Sure. Make sure you come up with an incrementally loadable design. This is easier with the sandbag than the kettlebell.

dabears is offline Member
    I don't need a crystal ball to see you sometime in the future looking back and going "I really wish I wasn't so stubborn".

All I hear is "I don't want to do this and I don't want to do that". Well looks like you don't want to be strong either with that attitude.

Is there other ways to get strong? Sure. Will you achieve your goal with your current attitude? Absolutely not.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Are barbells the most efficient way to build strength for most people? Probably.
    Probably even more efficient to include dumbbells and certain maschines also...

dabears is offline Member
    Gorbag I read through your entire debate on rippetoes stance regarding barbells... so I don't want to get into it here. But my god man, LET IT GO.

BB Bench Press / Deadlift & Variations / Front and or Back Squat / Overhead Press / Olympic Lifts / BB Rows / Chin-ups / Dips / Push-ups

That will build an extremely strong and functional body, in the most efficient way possible & until you meet your genetic potential. Not a single dumbbell or machine required. Weighted "bodyweight" exercises like chinups, dips, and pushups are just as important in my eyes.

Dumbbells & machines are for accessory exercises, nothing more. And mostly the uneducated & unknowing average gym goer.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    Dumbbells & machines are for accessory exercises, nothing more. And mostly the uneducated & unknowing average gym goer.
    If people invested the same amount of time in really learning how to use those other equpments as in learning the big lifts, then we are into something! Barbells, dumbbells and machines are all tools for muscular development - you will get stuck in certain movement patterns and limit yourself if relying on just one tool and not including a vider spectrum of movements, but yep don't let us start this debate over again here, you are not going to change your position anyway and neither do I...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast