Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't want to use barbells but I want to get strong. page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    I want to be "functionally" strong and build muscle. Spending years working up to crazy weights with barbells, as I said, seems painfully boring.
    Plus, I really don't see the use of being able to squat that much, what object in life requires that much strength that you wouldn't have someone else just help you?

My point is, I like to mix it up, and I wanted to get strength and muscle gains from doing stuff other then barbells. Seeing as this is a "primal" website id figure I'd get some good responses, but instead I get the usual Jacking of to Mark Riptoe response.
    Did you even read my response, or just decide to be offended and react like a child? I gave you several ideas precisely along the lines of what you asked.

The point isn't just that you might need to lift something alone that weighs 400 lbs. It's that when you can lift 400 lbs, it's a lot easier to lift 70 or 80 lbs several times. Or carry a friend out of a burning building. Whatever.

As I said, if getting that strong isn't your goal, there's plenty of fun, cool options like those I suggested above.

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    I honestly have no doubt barbells are incredibly effective but like I said. Id rather something to do at home, kettle bells and sandbags interest me. Especially Kettle bells.

With the Kettle bells, I'm not just talking met con, I'm talking heavy heavy bells doing strength type movements. It just seems more fun.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Weight vest for up to 70lbs. Now go do weighted pullups, dips, pushups, and squats. You may have some limits as to leg training, but it takes some real strength to outgrow a 70lb weighted pull up for reps.... and if you do grab a weight belt and throw a 45 on it.

I do a set of 5-8 exercises from the book "foundation training" that really hits the posterior chain. All body weight. Highly recommend it if your not doing the squats and deadlift. I actually do it once or twice a week and do the DL once every two weeks.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I want to be "functionally" strong and build muscle. Spending years working up to crazy weights with barbells, as I said, seems painfully boring.
    Plus, I really don't see the use of being able to squat that much, what object in life requires that much strength that you wouldn't have someone else just help you?

My point is, I like to mix it up, and I wanted to get strength and muscle gains from doing stuff other then barbells. Seeing as this is a "primal" website id figure I'd get some good responses, but instead I get the usual Jacking of to Mark Riptoe response.
    Sorry, I thought you just didn't have the 400 lbs goal. Get some kettlebells and good training, they are fun and activities are seemingly endless. Using them correctly is key.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Did you even read my response, or just decide to be offended and react like a child? I gave you several ideas precisely along the lines of what you asked.

The point isn't just that you might need to lift something alone that weighs 400 lbs. It's that when you can lift 400 lbs, it's a lot easier to lift 70 or 80 lbs several times. Or carry a friend out of a burning building. Whatever.

As I said, if getting that strong isn't your goal, there's plenty of fun, cool options like those I suggested above.
    That, and also the fact that barbells represent an ideal environment, which doesn't carryover 100%. What this means is that a 400lb deadlift means that in a framework where you have a comfortable to hold, perfectly symmetrical object, your body can generate enough force against gravity to lift 400lb off the ground. This doesn't mean you can lift a 400lb person, or a 400lb box, because they are more awkwardly shaped, with different weight distribution. However, what it does mean, is that a person with 400lb "ideal environment" strength can be of more help in lifting a 400lb person or box than a person who lifts a lot less.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member
    However, a barbell seems painfully boring and I wanted to do something at home and that's fun.
    My advice: Shovelglove =) from Urban Primalist

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If you want to explore into sandbags, check out the thread on squat jumps below:

Login

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Get gymnastics rings, check Ido Portal's videos and get into basic gymnastics moves. When you can do a human flag and a few stunts on the rings you have decent strength.

dabears is offline Member
    "I don't want to use barbells but I want to get strong"

Translation: "I don't want to use the most efficient way to progressively overload my body and reach my goal"

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    "I don't want to use barbells but I want to get strong"

Translation: "I don't want to use the most efficient way to progressively overload my body and reach my goal"
    But he doesn't really want to get strong anyway.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast