Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carb counting? page

CassieIs is offline Junior Member

carb counting?

Shop Now
    hey all,

do you carb count? i want to lose weight. i've been staying between 50-150 carbs per day reliably since going primal. i know that 50-100 is the 'sweet spot' and i definitely want results and i want to push through this carb flu! so, i'm curious if you carb count? if so, do you use an app or something?

thanks!
    cassie

Omni is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been Primal?
    Sounds like you're pretty new and I'm assuming female.
    If that is correct, my advice would be to pull back and settle into the lifestyle for a few months min, preferably a year.
    There are plenty of tales here of women who pushed through, driving their bodies into submission with weight loss, only to find months down the track that their body had not been subdued and had merely made appropriate metabolic adjustments to hold the weight and screw with their thyroid and adrenals giving leaving them with bigger problems than they started with.

IMO, take it nice and slow, eat well, let your body gain an appreciation of fat and over time you can transition into low carb with the minimal discomfort.

thanks for the advice.

but i'm still curious if anyone carb counts? and if so what app do you use?

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    I think you'll just have to count calories if you want to know how many carbs you are eating. I used to do that from time to time to make sure I was staying low while trying to lose weight. I prefer livestrong.com for counting calories, and I've tried several sites. Counting sucks though, its really hard to be accurate. You need a scale and say goodbye to any spontaneous eating. I notice that if I eat mainly green vegetables (and onion and garlic), a handful of berries and nuts a day and besides that eat as much meat and fat as I want it was never over 100 carbs and usually closer to 50 net. If you drink milk though, it has a lot of carbs so watch for that.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Lots of apps you can use, but if you are avoiding grains carb counting is almost a non issue.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Here is my take on how to eat, so you don't have to count anything (pasted from another thread):

"Personally, I don't snack. I have one good meal every day, around 6pm. I first feed on animal stuff (meats, fish, organs, fish roe, eggs, etc) with a side veggie or 2 for the fun of it. If I don't feel satiated, I continue with fat dairy (heavy or whipping cream) and a handful of low glycemic berries. If I am still not full, I continue with some dark chocolate sweetened with xylitol. Usually, I am full with the animal / veggie combo. The rest is usually when I break a 2 days fast. The rest of the day, I drink high quality coffee + coconut oil in the early morning, green tea at later times, and broth for my salt needs around lunch time. "

But to get there, take it easy and be primal for a few months. Hopefully, you are not vegetarian or vegan ...

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Lots of apps you can use, but if you are avoiding grains carb counting is almost a non issue.
    Agreed.
    I don't count but I'm 99% certain that I stay within that same 50g-150g range automatically with primal sources. Tubers, squashes, and fruit all have a pretty clear "unit" size, so going under 50g means avoiding them entirely and over 150g means choking down a quantity that would make the dinner plate look weird. Grok didn't have apps.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    If you decide you do want to track, try Paleotrack.com or Fitday.com.

I used Paleotrack for a couple of days just to see where things are. I don't feel like I need to track anymore though.

catpaws is offline Junior Member
    I have used myfitnesspal for tracking in the past. They have a website and apps for Android, iOS and blackberry.

Counting drives me nuts, though, so I don't do it anymore.

thanks so much! i'll check out those sites for sure - but it's true....grok certainly didn't have apps! love that. i'm eating real food, i'm starting the day with protein and fat, usually have an amazing high-fat spinach salad for lunch with like a bucket of nuts and some avocado, and a combo dinner with good meat and veggies - sometimes night shades sometimes not. the days that i did check my carbs they were well within 50-150. no exceptions. and i started the primal fitness program....i'm feeling carb flu-y...like crabby...but otherwise decent.

have y'all lost a lot of weight/toned up/lost inches? i don't actually care what i weigh...i want to lose FAT and gain MUSCLE.....like a beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast