Thread: What can I be doing wrong? Kind of new to primal weight loss page

Caty is offline Junior Member

What can I be doing wrong? Kind of new to primal weight loss

Primal Fuel
    Hi there! I've been doing on and off primal for the better part of a year but never been serious about losing weight until this month- started April 1. I have a goal to get to 125 from 155 by July 1- currently at 142.

I lost weight really quickly at first but have stayed the same for a week... I'm eating great and exercising, and I have an active job. I work in a busy bar and walk 20k+ steps a day, sometimes at a power walk lol. At the gym I usually do 30 min of cardio and 30 min of core work- weights or kettle bells, push ups, squats etc.

An average day I might have grilled steak and veg for breakfast, yogurt and berries for lunch and roast chicken and salad for dinner. I've cut out all starches and sugars other than berries.

I get that it's only a week but its frustrating!

I am 24 and female!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The first rush of weight loss is all 'water weight'. Forget that, you didn't lose fat then.

Losing fat is slow and steady. *If* you need to weigh yourself, be aware that day-to-day fluctuations will swamp the marginal but steady weight loss you are making. But keep it up over months and you will see a clear trend.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not so sure that 13 lbs is all water weight. Also, you may have added lean body mass - muscle, bones, connective tissue.

Maybe your body thinks this is the right weight for you. How tall are you? Do you actually have noticeable fat?
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caty View Post
    I get that it's only a week but its frustrating!

I am 24 and female!
    Representing the demographic of instant gratification.

Let it be, go full primal for a few months and observe the gradual changes in your body, tend to agree with others you may be closer to where your body wants to be than you think.

Once men go below 15% BF and Women go below 25%BF, all bets are off, your body will change the game rules as it sees fit, and it will not ask you for permission.

I am 5'4, so that's barely in the healthy weight. I do have a big bone structure but I also do have plenty of fat too! I used to be 125 and looked and felt great.

I am also on topiramate and that's helped with hunger- I literally can't finish a meal. I've been on it for around a month.

Yes, I would love instant gratification! I have a wedding to go to in July so I want to look good.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    You lose 13 lbs in 22 days. Why aren't you happy with that? Most people reccommend aiming for 1-2 lbs a week.

Honestly if rapid weightloss is your goal, there are better diets that will have you at your number quickly. If you stick to primal, you may weight a bit more than your goal on the scale, but your skin will look great, you will have wonderful energy, your hair will look good and your body will look strong and toned.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You must be pretty desperate to lose only a few pounds (~25 pounds really is only a few pounds when it comes to overweight) to be taking prescription weight loss medications and switching to a drastically different diet. This is a way of life, not a crash diet. What do you plan to do when you reach your goal, quit the drugs, and the weight comes right back on, as always happens with drugs?

Sorry I should have clarified- I am not on topamax for weight loss. I am on it for migraines! I wouldn't take a drug with so many side effects just to lose weight- I hate what it does to me but, I also love being migraine free for the first time in 15 years (primal didn't solve that!).

I do not want to use this as a crash diet, I would like to lose the weight fast if POSSIBLE but I do feel better since eating primal as compared to a regular American diet. I barely even miss grains, I just have a hard time limiting my fruit!

And I know 13lb is great, I was more just worried about the scale not moving in a week.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I would weigh less often if one week without weightloss is going to upset you. Or measure instead - you might be losing fat not weight. Any diet will have occasional stalls and plateaus - you might stay the same for a few weeks and then lose several pounds overnight. One week of plateau is really nothing to worry about.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Caty, you might try intermittent fasting. That helped me lose lots of fat. Don't give up.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.