Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 531 question page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hmm. Well, I guess what I will do is just as many sets as I can at 45.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hmm. Well, I guess what I will do is just as many sets as I can at 45.
    Why ask advice you plan to ignore? That's kind of frustrating. You're very likely to injure yourself this way. I hope you change your mind.

I did not like your advice. I do not want to leave the squat rack. I want to do overhead press with a barbell. If I leave the squat rack to do overhead press warmups with other equipment, I will lose my place in the squat rack in a busy gym. I get there first, at 6:30am so that I can do as much of my workout as possible before there are people waiting. Also, dumbbells are too difficult to incrementally load.

hedgehog is offline Junior Member
    I did not like your advice. I do not want to leave the squat rack. I want to do overhead press with a barbell. If I leave the squat rack to do overhead press warmups with other equipment, I will lose my place in the squat rack in a busy gym. I get there first, at 6:30am so that I can do as much of my workout as possible before there are people waiting. Also, dumbbells are too difficult to incrementally load.
    You could always do your squats in the squat rack first (as in, before OHP) until you've built up your OHP enough to be comfortable on the barbell. Either way, I would recommend following the program as it's intended. If you do 45 lbs across all sets, only do the dictated number of reps until the last set. I've been doing 5/3/1 for several months and have seen great gains.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    How easy is it to incrementally load a 45 lb. barbell when your 1rm is 55 lbs? Impossible. I don't think it's terrible if you want to just do worksets with the bar, but you have to warm up with a much lower percentage of your 1rm or your next thread will be about how to do 5/3/1 with 2 injured shoulders. Please find a way to do so, even if it's before you get into the actual gym.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    To be honest OP. 5/3/1 just wasn't designed to work with the kind of numbers you are lifting. The program is primarily used by intermediate to advanced lifters who are already posting fairly large numbers and who cannot easily make gains on more standard programs e.g. starting strength.

Whilst I understand you don't want to give up your place on the rack, if you are simply OHPing the bar for as many sets as you can, you aren't doing 5/3/1 anymore. I would simply do the whole press part using DBs and/or set weight BB if available. Do this until you can do the proper progression with the 20kg bar.

All that said, I imagine there are probably more suitable programs out there for you...

EDIT: re-reading this, it could sound a tad condescending, that is not my intention.
    Last edited by maclrc; 04-22-2013 at 04:09 PM.

I just am not able to make any progress anymore with Starting Strength on my upper body lifts. I thought I would try something different. Also, since the constant progressing of Starting Strength led me to injure my back doing squats and deadlifts, I thought a program that didn't have me always at the leading edge of my ability might be safer.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I just am not able to make any progress anymore with Starting Strength on my upper body lifts. I thought I would try something different. Also, since the constant progressing of Starting Strength led me to injure my back doing squats and deadlifts, I thought a program that didn't have me always at the leading edge of my ability might be safer.
    Have tried doing Advanced Novice and microloading your presses?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Microloading with 30 gram magnets may be worth a try, and when stalling change to 20 grams and then 10 grams magnets etc... Except from that, the advice from maclrc is not a bad one though...

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You dont have to use 5/3/1 for all of your lifts. I had to find different templates for presses. My squats and deads progress quickly and are fun. Presses are frustrating with little progression for me.

I now use a 10x3 methodology for my presses and supplement with frog stands, tuck planches, and hand stand negatives... occasionally cart wheels. Much less frustrating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast