Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Minnesota Starvation experiment page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Wait, this experiment was conducted by Ancel Keys? Hmmm...
    Yeah, the original data was on 119 men......but only 39 could be used to verify his position so the rest of the men where left to finish starving .

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    ^ lol

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The issue was that they were not volunteers who had given informed consent. They were conscientious objectors who were drafted and assigned to this project, which seriously affected their health (as it could have been predicted to happen). The fact that the experiment was run at all is in itself unethical.

I wonder if there was any health follow-up on participants over the years.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I skimmed and noticed there was a follow-up many years later, however since it said it was an Ancel Keys experiment right at the top of the article I wasn't too interested at that point and didn't read the details.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    The issue was that they were not volunteers who had given informed consent. They were conscientious objectors who were drafted and assigned to this project, which seriously affected their health (as it could have been predicted to happen). The fact that the experiment was run at all is in itself unethical.

According to the doc, they did give informed consent, there were over 100 applicants to the ad.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    And we trust him? :P

A good rule of thumb is never to participate in a medical experiment. Those who participate have little to gain, and could be seriously harmed.

These people probably had long-term damage done to their health. That was probably not something they were informed might happen.

Owing to a myriad of abuses over the years (and subsequent court decisions) "informed consent" now means something quite different from what it meant back then.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 04-23-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    And we trust him? :P
    A good rule of thumb is never to participate in a medical experiment. Those who participate have little to gain, and could be seriously harmed.
    Yeah, never ever thrust a scientist, they are only wanting to do you harm and probably on the payroll of CIA! And don't give blood either, and keep your shootgun ready just in case...

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some may have lost a bit more after starting to refeed but I believe overall they gained and continued to gain past their original weight. After quite some time they rebalanced and lost the extra pounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12