Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayness' (new) primal journal page

mayness is offline Senior Member

Mayness' (new) primal journal

Primal Fuel
    The semester is nearly over, and I feel like I can finally start doing sensible healthy things again. I half-assed it most of the semester, eating entirely too much fruit, honey, maple syrup, dairy, etc. Then the past two weeks have been full of absolute crap, including donut holes, cookies, sugary mixed drinks, etc. I've gained weight, which I'm embarrassed and angry about. And I really feel like I need a fresh start, hence the new journal.

I weighed in at 134.2 this morning. Some of that is bound to be bloating from eating restaurant food about 5 times in the last week. But plenty of it is fat. I just found out I can get skinfold caliper testing for $15, maybe I'll have to do that.

For 2 months or so I've been eating breakfast and dinner (and sometimes dessert - ok, usually dessert) because it was so convenient to not eat lunch. My schedule was crazy, with classes, teaching, meetings, and trying to get stuff done in the lab (I'm a biochemistry grad student). But whenever I got out of work and had time to exercise, all I wanted to do was cook and eat dinner because I was so hungry. So, I'm trying something new, now that it's SUMMER and my schedule is much more flexible. I'm skipping breakfast, and eating lunch and dinner. Today was day 1 for that - I was STARVING about 15 minutes after waking up, as usual, but an hour later it went away. I feel good right now. I'll probably have time to eat lunch around 1pm.

Today's lunch: BAS of mixed greens, hard boiled eggs, hot italian sausage, avocado, and catalina dressing mixed with an equal amount of rice wine vinegar (I wanted something extra yummy to break my fast - I'll probably throw away the rest of the bottle of dressing soon, it's gotta be nearly expired by now anyway). And frozen blueberries with coconut milk.

Today's workout: Body weight exercises... I haven't done the 100 push ups program in about 1.5 weeks, so I'll go back a week or so. *sigh* Also, back to working on my goal of eventually doing a pull-up. I did some damage to my calf muscle recently so I'm not sure what I could manage for lower body, but I'll find something.

I had every chance to let the evening ruin my plans. I was getting home later than usual to start with because of a meeting. My husband took me to test drive a car (he sells Toyotas and Subarus, and they got in EXACTLY the car we want to lease, the right color and everything) so working out and dinner got postponed. And on the way back he stopped at Wendy's to get food for himself and a friend who's in town visiting... and I did get a diet coke, but hey, at least no food. When I finally got home I put my planned dinner into the oven and worked out while it was cooking.

Did push-ups, pull-ups (only the "down" part), and lunges.

For dinner I made a "casserole" of sliced beef (some cheap cut that I hadn't labeled in the freezer), onions, peppers, olive oil, and a little mozzarella. Like a cheese steak in a baking dish. =] I made an amount that I figured would make 2 huge dinners (the beef was almost 1.5 lbs raw weight!) but ended up eating 3/4 of it. I was just really hungry!

I'm perfectly satisfied, but that has never stopped me from eating more in the past. =[ But what's really helping is that I'm kinda-sorta following the LeanGains.com plan of an 8-hour eating window each day. I think I finished eating within seconds of my time limit, lol. Lunch at 1:15pm, workout at 7:45pm, dinner ended at 9:15pm. Works for me.

Oh, and I started keeping track in fitday now because sparkpeople was bugging me, so here's my link to my public journal in case anyone is interested: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...?Owner=mayness Ignore anything from 2004... I could have made a new account but I wanted the same username. I was 122 lbs back then but my food journals are grossing me out. =P
    Last edited by mayness; 05-10-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    OMG, I LOVE your idea for "cheesesteak casserole!" Aww... I gotta make this. I love cheesesteaks and haven't had one since going Primal. You're a genius!!!

LeanGains.com... will check that out. I tend to do that most days- lunch and dinner within 8 hours, but maybe checking out the site would be a good idea. I tell ya, FitDay is a HUGE help in keeping me on track. It's hard sometimes though, when you have custom recipes. Hmm...

So where do you get the skinfold test done for $15? I've been spending a lot of time in Ithaca and would like to get tested when I'm there. Actually I was just there last Saturday for a crop mob, and will be back up this Saturday for the Primative Pursuits Day. If you're free you should totally check it out! I also wanted to invite you down to Corning for a weekend bbq/campout that I'm hosting. Gonna try to get some Northeast Primals together for a weekend of fun- possibly including a trip to Ithaca.

We should totally get together sometime since we live so close.

Hey Diana! Unfortunately the skinfold test is at the Cornell gyms, and probably only available to students/faculty/staff. If I hear of anywhere else to get it done I'll let you know.

That Primitive Pursuits Day does sound fun... I don't have a vehicle on Saturdays because my husband works, but if it's possible to get there by bus, I can meet you there. I'll let you know. And for the BBQ/campout, I'll at least come for some of it even if I can't stay overnight with you guys.. still a bit soon to tell what my schedule will be like.

And I've been meaning to ask you, where do you get the $1.50/doz eggs? I haven't been able to find anything less than $2.50/doz regularly (not that I've looked all that hard). A lot of the ones at the IFM are $4... insane.

Yes, please let me know. Skinfold is the most accurate test and I'd really like to know exactly where I stand. I'm not sure where the Primative Pursuits Day is just yet- have to google map it so I can find it still.

We get our eggs from an Amish farm near my parents' house. They've had a surplus for a little while so we've been taking 12 dozen or more at a time. We're quickly becoming their best customers- lol. I can't believe the prices for eggs at the IFM! No way would I pay $4. GreenStar is $2, which is a lot better, but still more than I'm willing to pay.

I just realized I could probably drive my husband to work on Saturday and drop him off, so that I can use the car. (After my recent carb-fest I'm a little low-carb-flu-ish today and not thinking clearly). Or I could walk - I looked it up and it's only about 3 miles away from me. Either way, I'd love to meet you on Saturday at the Primitive Pursuits day... do you know yet what time you'll be going?

I didn't realize eggs were only $2 at GreenStar. I just assumed they'd be MORE there than comparable organic/cage-free eggs at Wegmans, which are $3+ (and who knows how those chickens are really living). I haven't gone to GreenStar in months because I'm lazy, apparently I need to start again.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    DR & mayness: either of you going to be going to Farmer's Market before the Pursuits thing? Still not sure if we're going to be able to make it Saturday (and next week is going to be out -- I just signed up for a horsemanship clinic in NH that weekend...), but if we *do* make it to IFM this weekend, I'd like to time it to be able to meet up even if just to say a quick "hi"...

I could definitely stop by the IFM to say hi. I'll make sure I've got the car Saturday.

...by which I mean our NEW CAR that we just leased! =] 2010 Toyota Prius. So happy. Just got done signing the paperwork, and hubby will bring it home tonight. It's like a freaking spaceship compared to our old vehicle, it's so FANCY!

Although that really messed with my plans to take a walk, especially since it looks like it might rain at any second now. Oh well. Time for dinner I guess!

I can try to stop by IFM in the morning. I've gotta get the oil changed in my car before I leave Corning. They usually have it done pretty quick, which would mean I could get to IFM by 9:30 and I'd planned on getting to Primative Pursuit around 10:00- maybe a tad later if I can't stop myself from wandering IFM a little longer.

I have a routine usually, when I come to Ithaca. IFM, GreenStar, Wegmans. Sometimes B&N and the Commons. But I always do IFM, Greenstar & Wegmans- lol.

Yay for mini-Primal meetups! This is gonna be fun.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'd say we're up to a 50/50 chance of being able to make it to IFM this weekend -- 9:30 might be tight though, but will try... I'll let you know, and will PM my cell number to both of you if it turns out to be a green light. In addition to also stopping by Greenstar, I'm hoping to be able to visit Finger Lakes Distilling in Burdett on the way home afterward -- they just released their first batch of bourbon last weekend and it's almost sold out (zero carbs you know! ).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast