Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on shakiness and cheese, please! page

CheeseFiend is offline Member

Opinions on shakiness and cheese, please!

Shop Now
    Hello, all.

I'm new here (from the UK) but have read, if not understood, most things on this amazing website. And now I could do with some opinions if you'd be kind enough...

I started on 100% paleo over two weeks ago now (except a few tubs of hummous, as I didn't realise at first that chickpeas were Not On). So far, so great - four or five days of feeling ucky last week (carb 'flu I'm assuming), but wonderfully improved mood, fantastic new precision/spatial sense of where my body is, massively reduced feeling of general lumpiness, bouncing (cough) out of bed in the morning, and the most marvellous consistent energy levels, instead of trembly every four hours or so.

But. Yesterday was a tough physical day for me - I work in an office during the week and garden for customers at the weekends - yesterday I did nine straight hours of mowing, weeding, leaf-clearing, tree-felling and some fence repairs. It was a revelation to be able to do all that and STILL bounce home and wonder what I could do next. Wonderful. But this morning... Despite having got through an avocado, 100g of fatty beef, 100g of salmon, a whole packet of spinach, half a tub of cream in my 2 coffees, a boiled egg and a handful of tomatoes - by 12.00 I had seriously bad low blood sugar shakes. Worse than I used to have when I stuffed myself full of bread.

So what have I missed? Breakfast yesterday was a massive heap of roasted cauliflower, roasted carrots and boiled eggs, so I thought I'd covered the carb element. Conventional wisdom in the climbing community is that you carb load BEFORE the exercise - should I have done it afterwards? And I did have two small glasses of wine last night, but would that really have affected my insulin levels 16 hours later?

Any opinions gratefully received - I don't want to bugger this up through ignorance!

Doh!

The cheese bit...

Meant to say - more of the above foods didn't help, until I ate a slab of cheddar with half an inch of butter of top. My new favourite food. Instant happiness and the shakes stopped. But surely my morning's intake gave me enough fat?!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseFiend View Post
    Doh!

The cheese bit...

Meant to say - more of the above foods didn't help, until I ate a slab of cheddar with half an inch of butter of top. My new favourite food. Instant happiness and the shakes stopped. But surely my morning's intake gave me enough fat?!
    I love you. Ɛ><3

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I love you. Ɛ><3
    Well, thank you. I rather like you too.

Since giving up sugar and wheaty/gluteny things, I've been amazed how wonderful everything else tastes. Fat, mainly, but I've always loved meat fat so no news there. But cheese... and butter... I would bite you if you were holding it.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Cheese is a lot of fat and some protein. So I'd say you are probably eating too many carbs. See what happens when you reduce them in proportion.

Also, it takes time for your body to adjust to the new diet and alter it's systems functions. Normalizing blood sugars typically takes a few months.

Months!?

Bugger.

So... you think the spinach this morning was a bad plan? Or the veg the day before? Actually, I suppose I am still trapped in the mindset of 'if in doubt, eat a load of veg'. And I do keep seeing people comment about 'if in doubt, eat more fat'. In fact, the fact that the fat made me feel instantly better should be a clue. Or should it?

The thing is, while I'm transitioning still, I still don't know whether to trust my body's frantic signalling for what it thinks it wants. It badly, BADLY, wanted sugar until I gave it cheese, but I was fantasising about ramming down giant bars of milk chocolate, and I don't even like chocolate. So my cues are way out of whack.

Exactly, we're all fully propagandized from birth almost. We think we'll die without carbs.

Yes, habits are hard to change, and we all have developed a lot of bad habits. You body will probably adjust sooner than your mind will. Although many of the body builders here still recommend 'carb-loading', most real paleos have given that up. But does this really make sense if you find you have more energy on higher fats?
    Here's a good example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TeSnXXBqCc

One of the things we all learn here is how to listen to your body. Most of us had never done that before, and our bodies are so confused they've almost given up signaling. And it takes time to distinguish between your mind wanting to continue bad habits and what you're body is telling you. Really, a LOT of changes occur, and they take time. Sorry about that but it's really true.

How about trying this - pick a level of macro proportions that is comfortable for you. Use a nutrition tracker, there are many. I have been using paleotrack.com, and easy one but there are better ones. Spend 4-5 days, not changing what you eat, just tracking it. Then pick a level and stick with it for a month. Mine is 65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. (I'm gaining very slowly.) After a month you should be able to start trusting your body more (except for sugar (glucose)). If you need more energy, eat more good, healthy fats.

Cheese is good, great even, and the harder the better.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-21-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Thank you, Crypto - really appreciate the time you've taken to explain.

I just tried the tracker thing, and it appears my protein is too high relative to fat? Maybe?

It reckons I should be aiming for about 1,400 calories per day (I'm 5'6" and about 8.5-9 stone - don't have any scales so can't check), and I'm struggling to get over 1,000 since I feel too full to stuff more food down. Of those, today's example is 11g carbs, 76g fat, 63g protein, and 8g sugar (damn that half apple).

Having written it down, that looks a pitifully small amount - the tracker says I will be dead of starvation whilst weighing 140lbs if I carry on this way

So how do I get more fat? I'm not so worried about the carbs, since I do have days when I'm mostly on veg and it'll even out during the week.

More adjustment. Would you tell me the macronutrient %s and then total calories. That's what we use since don't often weigh ourselves or our food. Also would you change 'stone' into lbs. Isn't sugar counted as part of carbs?

Don't worry about the total calories unless you're gaining weight and don't want to. Also, don't worry about loosing weight unless you're hungry. Are you hungry?

Gawd, I don't know! It's just myfitnesspal, and I can't claim to understand what they're telling me.

Hold on, I'll have a rummage around and see what I can translate.

Right - just checked the definition of 'macronutrient', so that's, erm... 1,063 calories, with, erm... maybe it wasn't in grams? Hang on, if I add up all the grams of everything that should do it? So - 7% carbs, 47% fat, 39% protein, and 5% sugar. (Or 12% carbs as you say carbs and sugar are the same). So less protein and more fat? Even I can't handle even more cheese - is there a high-fat food list somewhere around, as I can't recall seeing one. I'll have a quick look.

8.5 - 9 stone is 119 - 126lbs.

I don't know if I'm losing weight - I'm changing shape certainly, with less bloat around the middle clothes are baggier - but that's not the same thing. I'm not hungry, no, so yes, you're right, who cares if myfitnesspal thinks I'm going to collapse into a ditch as an overweight skeleton. I'm not really in it for weight loss - I wanted to feel healthy, alert, alive, frisky as a labrador and twice as cheerful. And that appears to be happening.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast