Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on shakiness and cheese, please! page 3

CheeseFiend is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks, Annie, I think it probably was that, but being only a few weeks into this I was probably thinking in terms of what I ate two hours ago being the culprit, instead of considering the spread of food versus activity over the last 24 hours, which is a very different mindset!

Wonder, yes I am happy with my weight - my shape is a bit more... uneven... than I'd like, but I already have the flat stomach I haven't had since I was in my teens. I don't miss bread or pasta in the slightest, thank god, but I do hanker after fruit. I'm thinking once my raspberries and strawberries get going again it won't hurt to gorge in season, and the rhubarb is almost ready...

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseFiend View Post
    I actually checked the label of a jar of olives today, and it had wheatflour listed. Wheatflour. What on earth for!? I had better leave double the time for my next shopping trip, since I have a feeling it's going to be more of an exercise in literacy and comprehension than previously.

I am very grateful for your help. Sometimes even the most obvious things are only obvious once you've actually taken them in...
    Yes, shopping takes twice the time for me, although I've shortened it a bit by going directly to fresh veggies, meat, fish and cheese sections and shipping all the cans, boxes and bottles. It's amazing what you find in ingredients. What indeed is Wheatflour in olives for? LOL

It has truly been my pleasure, I hope we'll be freinds for a long time.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-23-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Oh yes, my neighbours are good people. But then I live in the North of England amongst the mountains where agrarian never really took off... rubbish soil and rocks make for a meat/dairy rich environment . And here is an anecdotal-not-really-evidence thing that I've noticed anyway: when I go into the nearest city I feel like a giant in heels (making me 5'9" at most) compared to the people around me. Back out in the sticks, I'm the tiny person surrounded by farmers three times my size (in totality, you understand, not that they're 16 and a half feet tall). Now I know there's also a huge amount about poverty, migration and genetics to be unpacked there - but the result is noticeable, whatever the causes.

I always somewhat resented bread and pasta for being merely the carrier for the good stuff, but believed all that healthy carb, low protein, negligible fat ratio stuff being dished out by the nutritionists - it's such a boost to find a community of people who are proving that what I actually want to eat turns out to be the best thing I could eat, and not just greediness for the good stuff.

I've just checked out our Harrods-Foodhall-of-the-North (otherwise known as Cranstons) - a mere two minute walk from my weekday office - and it has no less than 16 raw milk cheeses as well!

On the downside, my weekly shop just cost treble what it normally does. And here's a 'doh' moment for you - being lazy with the maths, I just assumed 100g of chicken was 100g of protein, that 100g of spinach was 100g of carb, etc etc. I'm on paleotrack now and see the difference! Today is a very heartening 77% fat, 19% protein, 4% carbs (although I ate 50g of samphire as well which isn't listed on the site so isn't included in the carb ratio).
    Well, actually, more than friends. I'll come live with you. In fact, Annie and Wonder will come too.

Oh yes, my neighbours are good people. But then I live in the North of England amongst the mountains where agrarian never really took off... rubbish soil and rocks make for a meat/dairy rich environment . And here is an anecdotal-not-really-evidence thing that I've noticed anyway: when I go into the nearest city I feel like a giant in heels (making me 5'9" at most) compared to the people around me. Back out in the sticks, I'm the tiny person surrounded by farmers three times my size (in totality, you understand, not that they're 16 and a half feet tall). Now I know there's also a huge amount about poverty, migration and genetics to be unpacked there - but the result is noticeable, whatever the causes.

I always somewhat resented bread and pasta for being merely the carrier for the good stuff, but believed all that healthy carb, low protein, negligible fat ratio stuff being dished out by the nutritionists - it's such a boost to find a community of people who are proving that what I actually want to eat turns out to be the best thing I could eat, and not just greediness for the good stuff.

I've just checked out our Harrods-Foodhall-of-the-North (otherwise known as Cranstons) - a mere two minute walk from my weekday office - and it has no less than 16 raw milk cheeses as well!

On the downside, my weekly shop just cost treble what it normally does. And here's a 'doh' moment for you - being lazy with the maths, I just assumed 100g of chicken was 100g of protein, that 100g of spinach was 100g of carb, etc etc. I'm on paleotrack now and see the difference! Today is a very heartening 77% fat, 19% protein, 4% carbs (although I ate 50g of samphire as well which isn't listed on the site so isn't included in the carb ratio).
    NO, NO, NO, NO. You're making me feel like a failed helper. Your daily goal is 60% fats, 25% protein, 15% carbs. 77% fat, 19% protein, 4% carbs isn't even close. Your poor body needs at least 2 months of consistant, steady nutrients to adjust to the new diet. Probably much longer. But for 2 months you do need to try to meet the goal. You can change it if you like, but do be consistant.

Definitions (from The Primal Blueprint): 100-150g carbs is Low Carb. 50-100g carbs is Very Low Carbs. And < 50g carbs is Ketosis for many people. You do not want to be in Ketosis in the beginning.

Whatever is samphire?

Oh yes, I do the same thing. I love all the foods I can now eat and can spend a ton on them. Macademia nuts are $13.99 / lb. I'd never had them before and boy are they good. Like you, I didn't enjoy the SAD (Standard American Diet) so it was easy to keep my weight down. On PB after a while, all the SAD food tastes like cardboard.

Plenty of room. Genuinely, thank you for being so welcoming and patient with Miss Thick here.

PLEASE don't say you're a failed helper - you're blatantly an excellent one since you're able to keep pointing out where I'm slipping up. It's not your fault you have rubbish material to work with.

Right, so today I'm on 61% fat, 28% protein, 11% (44 grams), and a whacking 2137 calories! Looks like I have no idea what I'm putting in my mouth after all... So, better, but no banana. Bad monkey. Having not read your post until after I'd eaten, this is emphatically Not Your Doing As A Helper. Tomorrow will be different.

I know what you mean about SAD foods - or rather, your sense of taste/smell readjusting. I walk past the fruit to get to the meat in the shop and it smelled so strongly of sugar - I've never been able to smell fruit from a distance before. That's just... amazing. Samphire is a small green marshy plant that grows in the tidal area on marshes and sand - it's called poor man's asparagus around here because that is exactly what it tastes like (and looks a little like in miniature - it's only 5" or so high), if you added a LOT of salt to your asparagus. The BEST thing around here is lamb/mutton bred on the tidal flats, since they stuff themselves with samphire and all sorts of briny green things - you can definitely taste the flavouring in them.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Sounds to me like you are doing really well, experimenting, thinking and having fun! And you live in a great place for it!

Samphire is great... but hard to find just that bit further north...

Well, Good Evening Fife!

You are just a bit further... but there's a massive stretch of muddy/sandy/gorse (sounding attractive yet?) beach on this side of the Solway Firth that's covered in it. I used to live in the Flat Lands (Norfolk) where it would grow in your wellies if you stood still long enough.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I noticed you said you had some wine the night before your shakiness. For what it's worth, if I drink wine at night I seem to be substantially more hungry the next day. Carry on.

Plenty of room. Genuinely, thank you for being so welcoming and patient with Miss Thick here..
    You're very gracious. I (we) were joking, though. Your food sources sound heavenly.

PLEASE don't say you're a failed helper - you're blatantly an excellent one since you're able to keep pointing out where I'm slipping up. It's not your fault you have rubbish material to work with. .
    Again, Joking, trying to lay a guilt trip on you. Alas, my abundant ego and dense brain are a terrible combination. And changing nutrition trackers certainly makes consistancy harder.

Right, so today I'm on 61% fat, 28% protein, 11% (44 grams), and a whacking 2137 calories! Looks like I have no idea what I'm putting in my mouth after all... So, better, but no banana. Bad monkey. Having not read your post until after I'd eaten, this is emphatically Not Your Doing As A Helper. Tomorrow will be different..
    I can only hope. (And I have a very dry sense of humor (on the days that I have one at all)). Paleobird is now in permanent ketosis, I"m jealous of her as are many others. She is completely carniverous. But she's been here about 5 years and her body is very well adjusted for it. I don't think any of us had any idea what we were putting in our mouths, I certainly didn't, I'm still learning.

I know what you mean about SAD foods - or rather, your sense of taste/smell readjusting. I walk past the fruit to get to the meat in the shop and it smelled so strongly of sugar - I've never been able to smell fruit from a distance before. That's just... amazing. Samphire is a small green marshy plant that grows in the tidal area on marshes and sand - it's called poor man's asparagus around here because that is exactly what it tastes like (and looks a little like in miniature - it's only 5" or so high), if you added a LOT of salt to your asparagus. The BEST thing around here is lamb/mutton bred on the tidal flats, since they stuff themselves with samphire and all sorts of briny green things - you can definitely taste the flavouring in them.
    Interesting, maybe later you can find a plant (that paleotrack has) that has similar nutrients. I'll bet your lamb is fantatic. And as Fife says, really! you're doing great.

It doesn't sound like you have much extra time, but many of us here keep a food (and reactions) Journal online here. For me, it's biggest help is to remember what I ate 2-3 days ago that is causing me problems now. I keep trying new things or N=1 experiments which typically fail, then friends come along to help.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34076.html (NamelessWonder)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81880.html (AnnieH)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81870.html (me)
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Samphire infused lamb/mutton sounds heavenly! I am in County Durham - am intrigued about your whereabouts now! I want to know where to get this amazing lamb :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast