Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on shakiness and cheese, please! page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh dear. Here I am trying to make this all much easier. LOL!

How about trying paleotrack.com just for the 1 day. See if it gives you the same result. It will also tell you if you're paleo in foods.

So, 1063 cal; 47% fat, 39% protein, 12% carbs. That's too much protein, try for 25% protein and put the rest in fats or some in carbs. So say you aim at 60% fats, 25% protein, 15% carbs. That should result in no weight change. Try to maintain that for 2 months but adjust the fats-carbs if you're gaining or loosing.

Try giving up all grains, at least for 2 months, not just sugar and wheaty/gluteny things. This will give you much better body signals on where you are health-wise. Be very careful about reading all the ingredients of everything.

You're female, 5'6", 126 lbs, sounds great. "I wanted to feel healthy, alert, alive, frisky as a labrador and twice as cheerful. And that appears to be happening." You're a perfect candidate here.

What are healthy fats? Meat, particularly beef, fats. Bacon fat. Butter, Cheese, Avacado, Coconut OIl, Olive Oil, Nuts, Milk fats if you tolerate them. Can you get raw milk? If you can afford it get grass-fed meats, pastured eggs, etc. But don't stress that.

You don't need to weigh your food, just guess. For example: 2 cups chopped greens, measured raw (then you can cook if you like), 2 oz meat is the size of a lipstick tube, for veggies just enter how many, (1 turnip, 1 avacado), 2 Tbl or tsp butter, etc.

You're exactly right. If you're at the weight you're happy with, forget completely about calories. Only listen to your body. Every individual is unique. There is no one-size-fits all, and calories-in do not equal calories-out.

After you're past carb-flu, start in on Mark's exercise program or cross-fit.

EDIT: Change the 58% fats to 60%. I failed to convert from lbs back to %. Forgot to mention eggs, they're a great souce of fats and protein and fantastic micronutrients.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 04-22-2013 at 04:18 PM.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseFiend View Post
    . . . 2 coffees . . . shakes. . . So what have I missed?

CheeseFiend is offline Member
    Thank you! I'll try the paleotrack thing and (I presume you can?) ask it to track the percentages for me. At least until I know what I'm supposed to be looking at.

I have gone cold turkey on all grains, legumes (but not before I planted out my peas, not having realised that's what they were. Doh.) and sugar as sugar, as opposed to in the form of carbs. Thanks for the your list: fortunately my nearest neighbour keeps ducks and chickens, so that's free free-range eggs sorted, and there's a raw milk cheese-making farm based just a few miles away, which makes me so very happy. I already eat the other things, so I guess adding fish, olives*, lamb, greek yoghurt, duck, plus my spinach/cabbage/asparagus/mushroom/carrot obsessions will give me the basic diet. Excellent. And it's almost samphire season here.

* I actually checked the label of a jar of olives today, and it had wheatflour listed. Wheatflour. What on earth for!? I had better leave double the time for my next shopping trip, since I have a feeling it's going to be more of an exercise in literacy and comprehension than previously.

I am very grateful for your help. Sometimes even the most obvious things are only obvious once you've actually taken them in...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Gaaaaarn.

Although I did wonder if I might have become more sensitive to caffeine on a different food intake. But no. It was just the one day.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    My sensitivity to caffeine is definitely something I became more aware of the more I detoxed. Now I have a cup of green tea in the morning a few times a week and even that makes me a little jittery. Just don't rule it out!

No ruling, promise. And I envy you your tea; I can't be doing with the stuff. Makes me queasy after just one sip. Properly queasy, not just pretend, finicky ewww queasy. This makes me sad.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful! Yes, Olives are great source of fats too. On paleotrack you don't need to change or instruct or anything. Just enter your meal and it reports % and total calories.

I predict you'll have a great time here and do really well.
    Boy are you lucky on having such great neighbors. I get pastured eggs from my neighbor but have to drive all over H___ and back for raw milk.

Yes, even when labeled 'organic' or 'healthy' or 'heart-health', etc. they can contain lots of crap and toxins.

Oh yes, my neighbours are good people. But then I live in the North of England amongst the mountains where agrarian never really took off... rubbish soil and rocks make for a meat/dairy rich environment . And here is an anecdotal-not-really-evidence thing that I've noticed anyway: when I go into the nearest city I feel like a giant in heels (making me 5'9" at most) compared to the people around me. Back out in the sticks, I'm the tiny person surrounded by farmers three times my size (in totality, you understand, not that they're 16 and a half feet tall). Now I know there's also a huge amount about poverty, migration and genetics to be unpacked there - but the result is noticeable, whatever the causes.

I always somewhat resented bread and pasta for being merely the carrier for the good stuff, but believed all that healthy carb, low protein, negligible fat ratio stuff being dished out by the nutritionists - it's such a boost to find a community of people who are proving that what I actually want to eat turns out to be the best thing I could eat, and not just greediness for the good stuff.

I've just checked out our Harrods-Foodhall-of-the-North (otherwise known as Cranstons) - a mere two minute walk from my weekday office - and it has no less than 16 raw milk cheeses as well!

On the downside, my weekly shop just cost treble what it normally does. And here's a 'doh' moment for you - being lazy with the maths, I just assumed 100g of chicken was 100g of protein, that 100g of spinach was 100g of carb, etc etc. I'm on paleotrack now and see the difference! Today is a very heartening 77% fat, 19% protein, 4% carbs (although I ate 50g of samphire as well which isn't listed on the site so isn't included in the carb ratio).

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseFiend View Post
    But. Yesterday was a tough physical day for me - I work in an office during the week and garden for customers at the weekends - yesterday I did nine straight hours of mowing, weeding, leaf-clearing, tree-felling and some fence repairs. It was a revelation to be able to do all that and STILL bounce home and wonder what I could do next. Wonderful. But this morning... Despite having got through an avocado, 100g of fatty beef, 100g of salmon, a whole packet of spinach, half a tub of cream in my 2 coffees, a boiled egg and a handful of tomatoes - by 12.00 I had seriously bad low blood sugar shakes. Worse than I used to have when I stuffed myself full of bread.

I think you were just hungry. This is how I used to feel after school during my growing phase. Cheese and/or a huge drink of milk fixed it for me as well.

I still get hungrier after an exercise day. It's somewhat amazing how MUCH food one can put away on this lifestyle. Make the most of it.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If you are happy with your weight, I don't think you need to worry about natural sugars or carbs very much. You should be fine to have some starchy veg & tubers everyday, if you want, and that will help avoid any blood sugar crashes.

I used to have that shakiness too. Simply eliminated refined sugar and grains resolved it, but occasionally it will return after bouts of intense physical activity.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast