Thread: To bake or not to bake? page

Elliottsmama is offline Junior Member

To bake or not to bake?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I've been reading up on paleo/primal eating for some and have been eating this way for a couple weeks now. I've been gluten free longer, but am now working to eliminate all grains.

Different groups seem to have different ideas on what constitutes a paleo food. Some say if it's made with all paleo/primal ingredients, it's good. Others say that baking is not paleo even if it's got all paleo ingredients.

I myself am not looking to create cakes and brownies every week to gorge on because I know they would be triggers for me. I made some banana walnut carrot muffin things last week and enjoyed those. My 20mos old son did as well. They weren't triggers for me and were a nice thing to have when I was on the run. They were just almond meal, banana, dates, carrots, nuts, eggs, and I think baking soda.

I've also read things about how cooking with almond meal is bad because of the high amount of Omega 6's and them going rancid. It's not something I am using a lot. How concerned do I need to be? I would say I just have it in those muffins and the other night I made some chicken crusted things that had like a tablespoon in the whole recipe.

I want to do this right, but I don't want to be overly rigid with perfectionism because that's something I have struggled with in the past. I tend to be all or nothing so if I feel like I failed, I say, "Well, I already messed up today. I should just have xyz and start again tomorrow." I'm working on that, but I know my triggers. I am very rules oriented and have good will power. I just have a perfectionist tendencies.

Thanks everyone.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    "Others say that baking is not paleo even if it's got all paleo ingredients."

These people are religiously Paleo, not functionally Paleo. In other words, this attitude is not helpful.

"I've also read things about how cooking with almond meal is bad because of the high amount of Omega 6's and them going rancid. It's not something I am using a lot. How concerned do I need to be?"

I'd say the people who have made it their mission to recreate every SAD food using technically approved ingredients have more to worry about. If you want to make something every now and then, don't worry too much.

"I want to do this right, but I don't want to be overly rigid with perfectionism because that's something I have struggled with in the past. I tend to be all or nothing so if I feel like I failed, I say, "Well, I already messed up today. I should just have xyz and start again tomorrow." I'm working on that, but I know my triggers. I am very rules oriented and have good will power. I just have a perfectionist tendencies."

All or nothing is definitely a bad strategy, however I do recommend adopting the lifestyle 100% (avoid the 80/20 mindset). With that said, the goal is to be as close to 100% as possible (with the way you choose to define that lifestyle). That means if you slip up and fall to 90%, that's damn close and you should be happy. It doesn't mean if you slip you should just say screw it and go to 0% that day and start over tomorrow. That's not helpful.

I can tell by your attitude that you're going to do pretty well with this

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I agree. Disregard the zealots. If baking every now and again makes you and your family happy then go for it. As long as you keep in mind that they are treats, and not everyday foods, there is no problem as far as I am concerned. Your baby ate bananas, dates, carrots, and eggs in one muffin, how great is that?!

I can't weigh in too much on the science behind almond meal, but I do use it occasionally myself. You can try coconut flour if it really concerns you. The bonus to coconut flour is you generally need to dramatically up the egg content, as coconut flour is very absorbent, so you are getting even more nutrition from eggs with every bite.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've wondered if you can decrease the rancidity problem by making your own almond meal. Make it just when it is needed. So far all I've been able to do is make something a little too coarse that I've used to coat pork cutlets. Perhaps if I sifted it I would have almond meal. I have never needed almond meal for the little coffee mug cakes I have made.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Trying to excise all celebratory food from the culture is kind of crazypants IMO. I love baking for social functions but never for myself. Eating a paleo muffin every morning is probably unwise, mostly because of what it's displacing.

I like to blend nongrain flours to cut down their respective drawbacks. My basic one is 1/4 coconut, 1/4 almond, 1/4 tapioca, 1/4 ground white chia. Very chewy and not overloaded on fiber, oil, or starch as they would be individually. Nongrain flours are definitely more perishable so I use an airtight BPA-free bin in the refrigerator.

A common retort I see is "if you eat cake so rarely just have the real thing" but I sincerely prefer the homemade version. Ingredients in commercial desserts are chosen to be cheap and non-perishable so I see no reason to crown refined wheat as "realer".

Elliottsmama is offline Junior Member
    You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the reality check. I think I'll stick to this forum. Some other forums I have read seemed to be little irrational and fanatical about things. This is the only forum I have joined and I think I'll stick to this one.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm doing okay so far. Yesterday was my birthday and I had some gluten free pancakes for breakfast as "treat", but that's it. Usually my bday is an all out eating fest with junk. They did have grains in them, but I think the only non-primal ingredient was rice flour. The other flours are tapioca, potato, etc. Other than that, I haven't been having any grains and am really expanding my veggie intake choices. In two weeks I have made the muffins two times and shared them with my son and father and didn't go nuts on them.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Check the banana pancake thread. Real easy and nice, just banana, 2 eggs and maybe some cinnamon. Wheat free, and delicious.
    I find nothing wrong with baking like this. I try not to eat to much fruit and baking ie banana muffins takes care that I have 1/3 of a banana, healthy coconut and egg in a form that is perfect to take to work as lunch. I don't add anything sweet other than the banana.