Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free food in the UK. page 3

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yeah, they grow along hedgerows, on scrub land, waste land and ... lucky for me ... in my garden

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Thanks for prompting me to eat nettles and dandelion, I have been - great stuff, not to mention free ! There are some weeds in my garden that have a white flower at the top and look like nettles from a distance. They don't have any stinging properties and their leaves have a mild taste of garlic + onion, I know they're not wild garlic as I eat that whenever I find it. Any ideas what this might be? To be honest the aftertaste isn't that good although initially they do taste like wild garlic leaves.

Is it this?

White Dead-nettle Hedgerow: Edible Species | John Wright | Wild-Food

Lamium album White Dead Nettle PFAF Plant Database

If so - it is edible. Both white and purple dead nettle are. Tea made from them is OK - and they can be added to soups etc.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Coo, seen this on my walk to town for shopping. I'll pick some leaves and give it a try.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mike, yes blackberries are very common and one of my favorites, looking forward to that in 2 or 3 months time. I know a few spots where I live in worcestershire but when I was in wales last year, they were everywhere

Hi Breadsauce, no its not that - although I will now look out for this dead nettle also. I may have to take a photo of whats in my garden. It probably isn't ideal to eat, but because it tasted like garlic I'm curious. I'll post it on here when I have a photo. I noticed it on roadsides today also.

Also today I discovered bedstraw, which often grows in and amongst nettles, is also edible, although very fibrous, I added it to my nettle soup:

Hedge Bedstraw / Galium mollugo (Plants) by Poppy on 16th May 2011 | iSpot

Just noticed its already mentioned on this post, called goosegrass
    Last edited by Owen; 05-09-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Ok I now know what the plant is thats growing in my garden (aside from the edible dandelions that are also everywhere), its Garlic Mustard - just seen it on a video.

hedge chef episode 2 - Hedge mustard - YouTube

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for that link! I know where this stuff grows profusely - but I didn't know it was edible. I love that recipe and will be making this ad infinitum!!!

NO problems, I've also found some dead nettles as well. I've also just found this behind my garden on a patch of wasteland, also edible, and very common in the uk:

Ground Elder (Aegopodium Podagraria) - 2012-06-16 - YouTube

I use this just as I would broccoli stems

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123