Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free food in the UK. page 2

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fermented with some bananas in gives it a real body which is very much like port. It must be almost a decade since I last brewed any wine ... must be 20 years since brewing any beer.

Along similar lines, don't forget bilberry forking in the summer ... I love pushing a good crust of bilberries into a cheesecake (no need for a base, just cream cheese and cream at a 2:1 ratio and whisk), crushing a few and leaving a couple of days to colour up the top half of the cake. They freeze well. They're tart, but not overly so.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Kochin thanks for the post, always keen to get tips on wild foods. I've often eaten wild garlic and of course blackberries, but other tips like this are great. I assume you can also eat the dandelion flowers? Also, from what I remember, does boiling nettles sort out the stinging properties? Thats some advice I seem to recall. I assume you can't just throw the leaves into a salad!
    Last edited by Owen; 05-02-2013 at 05:09 AM.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Might make jalapeno chillies seem gutless.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    ive run nettles through the blender (raw) as part of a smoothie without any problem, or quick fry in butter. add to soup etc.. I dont think you need to "Boil" them, I even eat raw sometimes (roll up into a lil ball first & be prepared to know when youve done it wrong )
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Lunch today - leek and wild herb soup. Wild herbs will include dandelion, ground elder, nettle, goosegrass and wild garlic. Thickened with white potatoes and using chicken stock.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAtTaree View Post
    elderberry wine
    My mother used to make elderberry wine. One of her cold "cures" was mulled elderberry wine and ginger.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    ground elder
    I've got loads of this. I gather it was used and brought here by the Romans. What does it taste like?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I've got loads of this. I gather it was used and brought here by the Romans. What does it taste like?
    When I first tried ground elder i REALLY didn't like it - but now I realise that it was autumn and the rank taste was simply because it was too old and had flowered. Early stuff, or young leaves (keep picking it and you'll keep having young leaves) are much more tender and tasty. Unusual flavour - hint of celery, but more aromatic. It makes an excellent soup, and can also be wilted in the water left on the leaves after washing, with a large knob of butter. Better is to fry some chopped up bacon until crisping and the fat is running, then add the ground elder to the pan and cook until wilted.

I shall be trying more methods of cooking it but I am on the way to becoming a convert!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for prompting me to eat nettles and dandelion, I have been - great stuff, not to mention free ! There are some weeds in my garden that have a white flower at the top and look like nettles from a distance. They don't have any stinging properties and their leaves have a mild taste of garlic + onion, I know they're not wild garlic as I eat that whenever I find it. Any ideas what this might be? To be honest the aftertaste isn't that good although initially they do taste like wild garlic leaves.
    Last edited by Owen; 05-06-2013 at 03:16 PM.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are blackberries still widespread? In the 1950s we used to get a week off school in the Autumn and in the North East it was referred to as "blackberry week" although didn't always coincide with the crop and in Scotland it was "potato week" as traditionally it was when the kids would help the parents who went off to farms as casual pickers to harvest potatoes, so would have wagged off school anyway.

Hmm blackberry and apple crumble with custard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast